Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,764,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The alternative to marrying a member of the opposite sex and living a lie would be to marry a memeber of the same sex and living the alternative lie that your same-sex union is the same thing as a marriage between a man and a woman.

"There is plenty of opposition to us gay people receiving the benefits even with civil unions and domestic partnerships."

Not from me.
It is the same union legally. Just because you disagree is irrelevant, no one cares what stone age beliefs you cling to.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,246,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And the Supreme Court will overrule your State forcing it to sign marriage licenses for same-sex couples. Bigots need not apply, you're done for.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,930,223 times
Quote:
The alternative to marrying a member of the opposite sex and living a lie would be to marry a memeber of the same sex and living the alternative lie that your same-sex union is the same thing as a marriage between a man and a woman.
What an arrogant and condescending thing to say.

That is the reason I am in disagreement with you and all opponents of Marriage Equality.

You refuse to acknowledge the genuiness and authenticity of same-sex relationships. You reject the concept of gay or lesbian couples. You feel strongly that the love a gay man or a lesbian might have for their beloved spouse is unequal and unworthy of recognition.

You are entitled to your opinions. It's a free country. I cannot make you accept gay people.

I, on the other hand, support equality. I recognize that two people can fall in love and wish to have legally recognized relationships. I am for freedom and civil rights. I oppose prejudice, inequality, and bigotry.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why hope or expect a heterosexual to marry a homosexual, so the homosexual can be married? I don't expect a homosexual to appreciate such a marriage, either.

The other question is why pretend a homosexual union is the same as a heterosexual one when obviously it is not?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It is the same union legally. Just because you disagree is irrelevant, no one cares what stone age beliefs you cling to.

It cracks me up that just because they don't want it to be called "marriage," that they think it means anything or that they can prevent it from being called a marriage.

I guess they are free to call it whatever they want, but as far as from a legal standpoint, it is what it is - and that is a MARRIAGE.

It is actually getting to be quite funny - in a pathetic sort of way.

It has been exactly one month since the first VOTER APPROVED same sex weddings started taking place in my state - many of which are being performed in wonderfully open-minded churches.

While we still have a way to go, the tide is turning and there is nothing they can do to stop it.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,092,579 times
Quote:
The other question is why pretend a homosexual union is the same as a heterosexual one when obviously it is not?
My question to you is why do you thing civil marriage laws are exempt from 14th Amendment oversight?

Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Tell that to all the same sex couples who are now legally MARRIED in my state.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,496,714 times
City-Data never fails to disappoint with their train wreck political discussions. It's quite entertaining.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,351,271 times
Quote:
It may not be exactly "the same" in every respect, but it is certainly equally valid, with the same committment, the same ability to raise healthy children, and the same "rights" and priviledges. To insist otherwise is to admit that one is prejudiced, and unfair and against the belief that we are all "equal" under the law!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,855,411 times
Funny you should say that.. i'm in a committed gay marriage and have been running on four years. We love one another, support one another and share our lives together. The alternative would be to marry a woman and live an utter and complete lie! How unfair for her and I to waste what little time we would have in our life. Again the lack of empathy by you and yours is completely astounding. You have no understanding whatsoever about the concept of love because you deny it for others! Who is actually a threat to civilization those who support love or bigotry and hatred... I actually pity you...

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.