Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,091,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Okay, responding to this post...

Actually, I think some things I said in other posts since this one catch most of what you've said here, but I'd comment on the bold part in defense of my "apathy":

Do you eat spelt? I do. I love it. Use it to make bread. I cook it similarly to Cream of Wheat. Etc. Now, I'm pretty gung-ho about my spelt. Good stuff. But I'll just bet that you are not so gung-ho about it. In fact, there is a good chance that you don't even know what it is. Well, now you do, if you didn't before: it's a grain.

Chances are that you don't consume it and have no feeling one way or the other whether I consume it or not (that's the way I feel about homosexuality). You are then quite apathetic on the matter. But let's say you've never tried it and have no desire to try it. And let's say that I, because I'm so fired up about it, decided that I'm going to go on a crusade for spelt. I hold parades, I advertise, and I make sure that everyone in the country knows the joys of spelt whether they agree or not. I then declare that everyone should accept (like) spelt. I make sure that not a day goes by that you and everyone else hears about my spelt.

Now tell me, you not being a fan of spelt, if you heard about spelt everywhere, every day of your life, the news, the blogs, the forums, etc, what would your opinion of spelt soon become? It's called burn-out. And it happened a long, long time ago. And you know what happens after that? What happens is, even if you held no bad feelings toward spelt before, you may find yourself developing a bit of resentment toward spelt simply because you are sick of hearing about spelt. At that point, it's not the spelt, per se, it's the "parading" that I was referring to. And we're not talking about parading as being a guy sitting on a park bench eating a bowl of spelt for breakfast. We're talking about the same sort of overblow that has turned our favorite Kim Kardashian into a person that nobody wants to hear about any more because they are sick of hearing about her. It's nothing personal against her. It's just that she has been overdone. Just as the BeeGees were overdone in the 70's. They were very good at what they did. But, at some point... everyone was sick of the hype. It wasn't Barry, Maurice, and Robin that everyone hated personally... it was the overblow... the parading.
I still don't understand your characterization. Are you upset about gays loudly demanding equal rights, or upset about gays somehow displaying their sexuality in your face? I asked what you meant by your comments, but you really haven't addressed it.

If it's about shoving sexuality at you, I still contend straight people do that much, much, much more often than gay people. If that's your qualm, I'd ask why you're selectively complaining about gays forcing you to see their sexuality but not straights.

If it's about our demands for equality, I have every right to speak out about homosexual rights, just like you have every right not to pay attention - you're the one choosing to spend hours reading and posting in this thread.

And what would you have me do? Remain silent about my mistreatment under the law? If I did that, the mistreatment would continue forever. You're blaming and complaining to the wrong group of people. If us gays had equal rights, you'd never hear a peep about it. We only have to scream about it because bigots keep insisting we be denied equal rights. The problem you're complaining about is a creation of anti-gay bigots.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,853,309 times
I must say - I think this is the best post in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I still don't understand your characterization. Are you upset about gays loudly demanding equal rights, or upset about gays somehow displaying their sexuality in your face? I asked what you meant by your comments, but you really haven't addressed it.

If it's about shoving sexuality at you, I still contend straight people do that much, much, much more often than gay people. If that's your qualm, I'd ask why you're selectively complaining about gays forcing you to see their sexuality but not straights.

If it's about our demands for equality, I have every right to speak out about homosexual rights, just like you have every right not to pay attention - you're the one choosing to spend hours reading and posting in this thread.

And what would you have me do? Remain silent about my mistreatment under the law? If I did that, the mistreatment would continue forever. You're blaming and complaining to the wrong group of people. If us gays had equal rights, you'd never hear a peep about it. We only have to scream about it because bigots keep insisting we be denied equal rights. The problem you're complaining about is a creation of anti-gay bigots.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,959,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Lack of compassion and empathy seem to go hand in hand with conservatism.
The huge irony is that the conservatives who oppose human rights are Christian, followers of Christ. OMG.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM

33,539 posts, read 18,131,587 times
Homosexuals want to get married because they want to do something that is not accepted. Strange how hetrosexuals don't want to get married because many couples have children live together for years and never get married. The sign of the times. People only want something they can't have and or don't want it if it is the acceptable thing to do.

The moral fiber of this country is now a rag.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM

25,667 posts, read 18,758,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And what would you have me do? Remain silent about my mistreatment under the law?
We talked about this earlier. What you should be protesting against, the same as I protest it, is that those who are unmarried are discriminated against. Instead, you want to get your hand in the same unjust pie from which married people partake.

The example I gave earlier is the tax codes. There is absolutely no reason for me, as a single person, to pay more in taxes than those who are married. In fact, logically, it should be just the opposite. Of course, as another poster mentioned, it's actually social engineering that prompted that aspect of the tax code to begin with.

You should be seeking the "rights" of those who are married without having to forge the links in the chain of slavery that marriage brings.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
We talked about this earlier. What you should be protesting against, the same as I protest it, is that those who are unmarried are discriminated against. Instead, you want to get your hand in the same unjust pie from which married people partake.

The example I gave earlier is the tax codes. There is absolutely no reason for me, as a single person, to pay more in taxes than those who are married. In fact, logically, it should be just the opposite. Of course, as another poster mentioned, it's actually social engineering that prompted that aspect of the tax code to begin with.
That's a cop-out non-answer (are you trying to change subject without addressing the points I brought up?). This is a completely different issue unrelated to your dislike of gays screaming their sexuality at you (and again, I'm still not certain what you mean by that - you keep avoiding explaining what you mean by it).

But whatever, I'll engage you. Sure, I don't agree with all the specifics regarding civil marriage law and the rights or benefits it confers. I'm open to tweeking the law, perhaps even eliminating some benefits. I do however agree with a vast majority of the legal rights conferred by civil marriage. I think they are very good things, and I would much rather gay couples have equal access to them rather than to do away with them for everybody.

Last edited by hammertime33; 01-06-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,143,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
^^This^^

I don't think anyone is saying that heterosexuals don't have the right to their own feelings and opinions and that they shouldn't feel, let's say, squeamish about certain sexual behaviors.

That's fine. No one can really help how they feel.

But where I draw the line is their attitude that just because they don't like it, or they don't understand it, that that gives them the right to deny equal rights to same sex couples.

To use that stupid analogy that gays do have the same rights to marry as everyone else - they just have to marry someone of the opposite sex - is a perfect example of their lack of compassion.

Lack of compassion and empathy seem to go hand in hand with conservatism. To want to deny people the right to love and to marry the person of their choice for no reason other than that they "disapprove" proves it.

Oh, well.......I fully expect it to all be moot soon. The homophobes and bigots can scream and stamp their feet and throw their stupid little temper tantrums until they're blue in the face, the fact is is that marriage equality is legal in nine states (voted on and approved by the VOTERS in at least some - all? - of those states) and they are not going to be able to take that away from those states.......nor will they be able to stop it from becoming legal in the remaining states.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,613,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Homosexuals want to get married because they want to do something that is not accepted. Strange how hetrosexuals don't want to get married because many couples have children live together for years and never get married. The sign of the times. People only want something they can't have and or don't want it if it is the acceptable thing to do.

The moral fiber of this country is now a rag.
How utterly absurd!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,351,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the rights of the majority is called democracy
and this is exactly where you are wrong. Rights, are not granted by popular opinion or by vote. Rights are basic to humanity, and the right to marriage to one whom one loves, and who returns that sentiment, should not be regulated by the "preference' of the majority! In fact, a large part of the job of a sane government, is to protect the rights of the minority!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM

18,368 posts, read 19,001,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
and this is exactly where you are wrong. Rights, are not granted by popular opinion or by vote. Rights are basic to humanity, and the right to marriage to one whom one loves, and who returns that sentiment, should not be regulated by the "preference' of the majority! In fact, a large part of the job of a sane government, is to protect the rights of the minority!
I agree, I misstated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.