U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM
 
24,224 posts, read 11,639,207 times
Reputation: 6854

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Yeah, keep repeating yourself this garbage... the NRA has successfully brainwashed a lot of americans.
We all know that in other developed countries there are several massacres done by bombs, cars, fires, dolls, candy bars etc etc
List of rampage killers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A very incomplete list, particularly not including fires, bombs and airplane.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,447,746 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
List of rampage killers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A very incomplete list, particularly not including fires, bombs and airplane.
The list of Europe's rampages is in fact quite comforting: it is just a fraction of USA's gun massacres
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
 
8,560 posts, read 5,794,133 times
Reputation: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Maybe I just don't feel the need to get involved in the 'mine's bigger than yours' game.

Drop in about 3AM sometime and find out which it is

Being that I've seen you in another thread have more problems with The Beatles than with a wasteful, useless, easily avoidable war of choice I can't say I really give a rat's ass about what you think.
Good for you for not answering such a rude and demanding question.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,447,746 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
List of rampage killers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A very incomplete list, particularly not including fires, bombs and airplane.
Also, this doesn't prove anything.
Ok, some people might kill several people with bombs and fires, that doesn't mean that we should allow crazy people (a la James Holmes) to buy assault weapons... come on, it's not difficult to understand... at least for someone who is not a conservative/republican
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,618 posts, read 11,894,280 times
Reputation: 3747
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Sounds like the author of the letter has some issues...I mean many issues.

"some woman"...."I am the one whom you serve"...

He did a stint in the military and he now thinks he has some divine status and we should all bow down to him? It scares me that he's armed.
No, he's just countering Feinstein's caustic biases with some facts. I also will simply not abandon my belief in our Constitution. I moved here from Kanada ("K" on purpose: denotes a virally socialist-statist political process..). You would perhaps deny him the opportunity to make his case? Typical socialist√°!

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
In fact the article confirms that USA has overall a higher murder rate than Western and Southern Europe's one.
The author is quite honest, after all.
It doesn't anyway explain why USA has such a higher occurence of gun massacres.
Easy availability of guns doesn't play a role, I suppose
Hmmm.. Take a look at Russia,

Here is the list of European countries whose most recent murder rates exceeded the U.S.'s.

• Greenland (19.2)
• Russia (10.2)
• Moldova (7.5)
• Lithuania (6.6)
• Ukraine (5.2)
• Estonia (5.2)
• Belarus (4.9)
* USA (4.2)


(rflmn notes: = 3.5X more violent crimes in Russia? (...and that "situation" in Greenland? Yikes! Best run from there, or better yet: let's register all Greenlanders, right now!) than here.

So.. tell us all: why do you choose to ignore that and then purposefully pre-bias your presentation? Or do you claim this information is all lies? Afraid of facts one must assume. Your pathological dislike of firearms is not my concern, nor is it your right to deny me mine, or to define my NEEDS)


Read more: Articles: Murder by Numbers
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

...which I just heard on the BBC last night has a particularly difficult problem with alcoholism. (It's also nigh-on impossible for a citizen there to acquire an AK or a pistol. FACT: Any firearm requires personal registration, fingerprinting and two independent psych evals. You willing to undergo that sort of thing yourself, you gun grabbers? OK then: line up. WE'll oblige and join you in the line!)

Could it be that other factors might be involved in some of these cases? Or is it just the ready availability of legally acquired firearms here all on it's own, of which less than 1% are the vicious "assault rifle" cosmetic types actually involved in gun crimes?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Can we stop this ridiculous notion that people who served somehow deserve their opinions be respected more than others. This letter is completely disrespectful, distasteful, and disingenuous.
Who ever said that? "completely disrespectful, distasteful, and disingenuous." Huh? That a fact? Nothing of value in his commentary? It's just a well-written and factual letter. I suspect you'd suppress it, right? Only the "We Know Besters" are allowed to speak, huh? Typical.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Yeah, keep repeating yourself this garbage... the NRA has successfully brainwashed a lot of americans.

We all know that in other developed countries there are several massacres done by bombs, cars, fires, dolls, candy bars etc etc
There you have it: a direct and purposeful denial of facts. Typical. Fortunately, we have that durned Constitution and the SCOTUS decision, coupled with a lot of real, honest and good law-abiding people who, btw, now own literally millions of this modern style of rifle.

Your People's Security Police Force for Good and Democracy will simply not be able to come pound on our doors and confiscate them. Bloodshed, righteous and defendable if the Constitution is still standing, will be the only result of such fascism.

See: Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, Mussolini and all the rest of your political heros!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
8,144 posts, read 8,625,328 times
Reputation: 6726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Thousands of Americans lose their lives every year because the 2nd amendment seems to supercede all other rights?. If someone is trying to totally disarm YOU personally,I`m unaware of it. Feel free to enlighten me.
Show me proof that the ownership of firearms is what causes murders, please. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that proof, however, because there isn't any. The simple fact of the matter is that the ownership of firearms has no causative effect on murder. Once again, in case you haven't caught on yet, a firearm is a tool. It isn't going to do anything on its own but sit where you left it. It takes a human operator in order to murder someone, accidentally shoot someone, or commit suicide. I've been around firearms my entire life, and I've yet to see one even jump out and yell "Boo!," much less take it upon itself to shoot someone.

As for trying to disarm me personally, Feinstein has made statements several times that her goal is to ban firearms ownership. Here are just a couple:

Quote:
"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe."
--U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein Associated Press 11/18/93
Quote:
"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an out right ban,
picking up every one of them... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in,
"I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here."
--U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), CBS-TV's "60 Minutes," 2/5/95
I'd say that this is valid evidence showing what Dianne Feinstein's true goal is with this legislation, no matter what she states in public about it. The question is not "if" she will attempt a complete firearms ban, the question is "when" will she? This legislation is merely the first step in her ultimate goal, which is to remove firearms from the hands of everyone, law abiding citizens included.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
8,144 posts, read 8,625,328 times
Reputation: 6726
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Sounds like the author of the letter has some issues...I mean many issues.

"some woman"...."I am the one whom you serve"...

He did a stint in the military and he now thinks he has some divine status and we should all bow down to him? It scares me that he's armed.
This soldier correctly states the fact that our government is supposed to answer to us, not the other way around. It has nothing to do with an exalted opinion of himself and everything to do with our Senators and Representatives having an overly exalted opinion of their own status.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
 
24,224 posts, read 11,639,207 times
Reputation: 6854
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
er... USA's murder rate vs the rest of developed world's one?
Again, that kind of comparison means jack and squat. To make a comparison, you need to compare apple to apple. Even for "developed countries", you have vast differences in culture, tradition, legal system etc. etc. etc.

Until you get all the bases to be the same and the only different thing is gun ownership, then you can make the argument that gun is to blame. Until then, there's no conclusion that can be drawn.

If you take the time to learn a little bit, you will find out that, still inconclusive, but why crime rate is higher in one country but not the other is probably a culture thing. Gun ownership? Not much to do with crime rate being high.

Now that's statistics we are talking about. If we are talking about crime control, you would be a stupid fool to focus on gun control. The easiest way to reduce crime is ... right the "two strike rule". You commit a felony a second time, you are done for life. This is because almost 80% of crimes are committed by recidivists.

Of course, I don't think you care about reducing crime or murder, or do you?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,038 posts, read 31,582,110 times
Reputation: 7853
Rifleman, Greenland doesn't count, there are like 20 people who live there.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
 
20,950 posts, read 17,289,049 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Number 1, you do not have the right to sex. And lets talk responsible. Are all guns owners responsible like many on the right want us to believe? the conn. shooter's mom was extremely irresponsible since she taught her son how to shot and use the gun even though she knew he was unstable and how about all the hunting accidents that heppen every year from responsible gun owners or the idiots cleaning their guns without checking for remaining bullets. We had a 12 year old get killed the other day because a responsible gun owner didn't properly identify his target. So until all gun owners act responsible then legislation is needed.
Who limits your right to responsibly have sex? You're not one of those "nambla" dudes, are you?

Anyway.....irresponsibility comes in all walks.

Very, very few gun owners (especially those of us who are NRA members) act irresponsible with our guns.

90% of the gun violence happens in urban centers of more than 250,000 population.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top