Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,338,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Nowhere did you address my query regarding you terming the registration and limiting the types as a punshment. You own a 105 howitzer? NOPE; but you want one and it's your right ~~ right?

I'm not and would never suggest you not being able to own a firearm. I do believe any fully automatic rifle should be limited. I don't give a rat's patoot if somone calls it an assualt weapon.

I do hwoever feel all of this angst over the NEED for a weapon has rotated 180 degrees from what the founding fathers intended as nowhere did they refer to protecting yourselves from your fellow neighbours and citizens.

All laws are formatted to encompass everyone so as to limit those irresponsible ones who'se behaviour necessitated the laws in the first place. There is no other way to form a law.
Registration is merely the first step toward confiscation. I know private civilians who own a 105mm Howitzer. They also own grenades, a WW II German MG-42 machine gun, a M2 Browning machine gun, and several mortars ranging from 60mm to 88mm. I even know a private citizen that owns a tank. There should be no limit to what a law-abiding citizen can buy with regard to firearms and military weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,338,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
A howitzer, by definition, is not a firearm.
Actually, it is a firearm. Any weapon capable of firing a round that is discharged by gunpowder is a firearm. That includes artillery, mortars, as well as tanks.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM

56,823 posts, read 25,763,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Registration is merely the first step toward confiscation. I know private civilians who own a 105mm Howitzer. They also own grenades, a WW II German MG-42 machine gun, a M2 Browning machine gun, and several mortars ranging from 60mm to 88mm. I even know a private citizen that owns a tank. There should be no limit to what a law-abiding citizen can buy with regard to firearms and military weapons.
According to some any minimal step at gun control ends in confiscation.

Was that a serious post above.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM

11,054 posts, read 10,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, it is a firearm. Any weapon capable of firing a round that is discharged by gunpowder is a firearm. That includes artillery, mortars, as well as tanks.
Unless you are using the term firearm very loosely, a Howitzer is not included in the legal definition of a firearm. Neither are tanks or mortars.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,561,248 times
Quote:
Unless you are using the term firearm very loosely, a Howitzer is not included in the legal definition of a firearm. Neither are tanks or mortars.
Unless you're reading some made-up version of the Constitution, the word "firearms" does not appear there, so who cares whether you call a howitzer, mortar, flamethrower, or thermonuclear missile a "firearm"?

Oh, but I forgot--any restriction on any weapons is just a step along the way to confiscation of all of them.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,367,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
What about our "unalienable right to life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness"? It seems that only the shooters have rights.

Yes and what about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? that two of my realitives, will never know. They were not killed by a responsible gun owner, nooooooooooooooooooooooo but fudgin fudkin crimianls, who broke into their home, and fudgin killed them, 2 different cases, same outlook, both dead.

The criminal did not care about the right to liberty or their pusuit of happiness, so give me a freaking break.

What about the fudgkin right, it was taken from then, not for a responsible gun owner, noooooooooooo but a fudgkin criminal from hell, who did not care about their life in any fudgin way.

If just maybe one of them had a gun for protection, they would be alive today.
My right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, means keeping myself and my family safe and sound.

Don't like this right, tough!

Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,367,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Using gun nut logic, we should also respect Tim McVeigh as he too wore the uniform & there's no doubt that he would agree with this Marine.

Why don't you folks who have no respect for the law relocate in a country such as Somalia.

I like Diane Feinstein & I live in California. I don't like a lot of the Senators & Representatives from other states, and would like to see them recalled, as they write legislation that I don't agree with.

I also live in Calif, and the idiots running the State including Feinstein, need to just go and get it over. I live here, and think that Feinstein, with the rest of the pack, suck.
Maybe you should relocate to Somalia, where they don't give a damn about human life.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 PM

28,396 posts, read 16,233,423 times
Quote:
If the law is unconstitutional, which Feinstein's Folly clearly would be were it to pass, then it shouldn't and won't be followed by anyone who respects our Constitution.

The problem there is that a law isn't unconstitutional until the SCOTUS says it is.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,903,559 times
Well, I hope the good Senator will not be waiting for my check and registration.... Neither are or will be in the mail.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,357,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Yes and what about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? that two of my realitives, will never know. They were not killed by a responsible gun owner, nooooooooooooooooooooooo but fudgin fudkin crimianls, who broke into their home, and fudgin killed them, 2 different cases, same outlook, both dead.

The criminal did not care about the right to liberty or their pusuit of happiness, so give me a freaking break.

What about the fudgkin right, it was taken from then, not for a responsible gun owner, noooooooooooo but a fudgkin criminal from hell, who did not care about their life in any fudgin way.

If just maybe one of them had a gun for protection, they would be alive today.
My right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, means keeping myself and my family safe and sound.

Don't like this right, tough!
Understand your ire. However, did they at any time express a desire to arm themselves? Was it their choice to remain unarmed in their own home? Was their right to own a firearm, in fact, infinged upon, or was it their choice?

No one is accusing or attempting to colour "responsible gun owners" as being anything other than just that, but here's the rub; your definition of "responsible" might not dovetail with a majority opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies