U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
 
24,300 posts, read 11,695,977 times
Reputation: 6894

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Wow, a conservative article: it must be reliable ... few underpopulated states have low murder rates (some of them have also stricter gun laws such as Rhode Island and Hawaii)
Great, post the murder rates of southern states.
Do you understand the difference between murders and murder rates?

I would like you to point out the errors or flaws in this article. Love to see them.

Here, murder rate by state. Mind if I point out the murder rate for Washington DC si 5, 6 and 10 times of other heavily armed states such as Texas and Utah. :-)

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0308.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,449,840 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do you understand the difference between murders and murder rates?

I would like you to point out the errors or flaws in this article. Love to see them.
In fact the article confirms that USA has overall a higher murder rate than Western and Southern Europe's one.
The author is quite honest, after all.
It doesn't anyway explain why USA has such a higher occurence of gun massacres.
Easy availability of guns doesn't play a role, I suppose
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM
 
2,603 posts, read 4,493,001 times
Reputation: 1955
Can we stop this ridiculous notion that people who served somehow deserve their opinions be respected more than others. This letter is completely disrespectful, distasteful, and disingenuous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM
 
24,300 posts, read 11,695,977 times
Reputation: 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
In fact the article confirms that USA has overall a higher murder rate than Western and Southern Europe's one.
The author is quite honest, after all.
It doesn't anyway explain why USA has such a higher occurence of gun massacres.
Easy availability of guns doesn't play a role, I suppose
It doesn't because there's no correlation or causation. Massacres can be done by bombs, cars, fires and guns. Singling out guns is only to mislead.

Murder is murder regardless it's done by what kind of weapon or no weapon at all. Focusing on one particular way of murder is meaningless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,449,840 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer;27588881
[URL
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0308.pdf[/url]
This is updated
Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center
Anyway, comparing a city with a state... congratulations, another case of cherry-picking...
What about if I compare Hawaii's crime rate with one of the countless high crime city - in Re(publitar)d states - such as Saint Louis, Birmingham and New Orleans?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,449,840 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It doesn't because there's no correlation or causation. Massacres can be done by bombs, cars, fires and guns. Singling out guns is only to mislead.

Murder is murder regardless it's done by what kind of weapon or no weapon at all. Focusing on one particular way of murder is meaningless.
Yeah, keep repeating yourself this garbage... the NRA has successfully brainwashed a lot of americans.
We all know that in other developed countries there are several massacres done by bombs, cars, fires, dolls, candy bars etc etc
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
 
24,300 posts, read 11,695,977 times
Reputation: 6894
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
This is updated
Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center
Anyway, comparing a city with a state... congratulations, another case of cherry-picking...
What about if I compare Hawaii's crime rate with one of the countless high crime city - in Re(publitar)d states - such as Saint Louis, Birmingham and New Orleans?
Then show me something that is meaningful, i.e. more guns equals more murder.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,449,840 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Then show me something that is meaningful, i.e. more guns equals more murder.
er... USA's murder rate vs the rest of developed world's one?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,038 posts, read 31,642,509 times
Reputation: 7853
I respect him for serving our country but am I still free to disagree with him?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
20,870 posts, read 19,917,428 times
Reputation: 18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Can we stop this ridiculous notion that people who served somehow deserve their opinions be respected more than others. This letter is completely disrespectful, distasteful, and disingenuous.
Exactly, recently where I live a Marine killed a baby because he was cryign to much, should that Marine's opinion be respected because he wore a uniform? According to Old Army, his opinion should be respected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top