Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The idea is that giving working people more money in their pockets is stimulative and raises demand and consumption and thus lifts the economy. The fixation with debts during an economic slump is misplaced. Grow the economy and debts will take care of themselves.
Well that 2% didn't do it and it was in place for one year and even extended.
So now it's gone.

FICA is for us and I just can't believe the amount of moaning and groaning going on for a mere $20/week for a $50K/year salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
The idea is that giving working people more money in their pockets is stimulative and raises demand and consumption and thus lifts the economy. The fixation with debts during an economic slump is misplaced. Grow the economy and debts will take care of themselves.
Well, we tried it and it didn't work. What's next?

Housing market alone can lift up the whole economy, and the housing stats indicate a recovery. Perhaps the WH can learn from the GOP Congress and do nothing for a while.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, we tried it and it didn't work. What's next?

Housing market alone can lift up the whole economy, and the housing stats indicate a recovery. Perhaps the WH can learn from the GOP Congress and do nothing for a while.
How do you know it didn't work? According to those that study it, it lifted GDP by 0.8%.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
They are when you take money from one person and give it to another. That's government sponsored theft.
That's government.

That's what governments do.

When Henry II taxed the nobles to provide a system of courts in England, he was redistributing wealth. Taking money from one group of people, to provide a service to another group of people. Governments exist to provide for the welfare of the people, and in order to do that, governments have to have access to capital. Generally in the form of taxes. They take from those who have capital to provide for those who do not. Funding an army for defense? Public schools? Sanitation and sewage systems? Courts? Governments can't take capital from the people who don't have capital. They have to take capital from the people who do have it. And since the poor are always with us, they benefit from the services the government provides, even though they lack the resources to pay for those benefits. To whine that they are stealing from you is illogical. You benefit as well, directly or indirectly, from a society that values security, education, health, and justice. And a society that values these things value them for everyone, not just the people who can afford them.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003
They are when you take money from one person and give it to another. That's government sponsored theft.
It really comes down to this:

A Tale of Two Moralities

Quote:
One side of American politics considers the modern welfare state — a private-enterprise economy, but one in which society’s winners are taxed to pay for a social safety net — morally superior to the capitalism red in tooth and claw we had before the New Deal. It’s only right, this side believes, for the affluent to help the less fortunate.

The other side believes that people have a right to keep what they earn, and that taxing them to support others, no matter how needy, amounts to theft. That’s what lies behind the modern right’s fondness for violent rhetoric: many activists on the right really do see taxes and regulation as tyrannical impositions on their liberty.

There’s no middle ground between these views. One side saw health reform, with its subsidized extension of coverage to the uninsured, as fulfilling a moral imperative: wealthy nations, it believed, have an obligation to provide all their citizens with essential care. The other side saw the same reform as a moral outrage, an assault on the right of Americans to spend their money as they choose.

This deep divide in American political morality — for that’s what it amounts to — is a relatively recent development. Commentators who pine for the days of civility and bipartisanship are, whether they realize it or not, pining for the days when the Republican Party accepted the legitimacy of the welfare state, and was even willing to contemplate expanding it. As many analysts have noted, the Obama health reform — whose passage was met with vandalism and death threats against members of Congress — was modeled on Republican plans from the 1990s.

But that was then. Today’s G.O.P. sees much of what the modern federal government does as illegitimate; today’s Democratic Party does not. When people talk about partisan differences, they often seem to be implying that these differences are petty, matters that could be resolved with a bit of good will. But what we’re talking about here is a fundamental disagreement about the proper role of government.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
How do you know it didn't work? According to those that study it, it lifted GDP by 0.8%.
You're looking at one side of this.

The tax holiday was funded by taking on more debt.
Nothing was cut to finance this.

Now we have more debt along with interest which you are not showing.

You need to show the NET.

We borrowed to finance that cut so we have debt + interest which no one is taking into account.
instead you jump for joy that the GDP rose 8/10 of 1% ? What was the cost though ?

Well I found it..it cost the government $120 billion + accruing interest to finance that FICA holiday which increased the GDP by what..$12 billion ?

So we borrowed $120 billion to make $12 billion and you're jumping for joy that it worked ?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rj-esk..._b_793526.html
The 2% tax holiday expires in 2012, an election year. Meanwhile the government debt will have increased by $120 billion, the amount that will be paid into Social Security to cover the cost of this "holiday.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 01-03-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
..............right wing deadbeats.
That's funny.

I would venture to say that probably half of Obama's voter base were deadbeats. The right doesn't want to pay more taxes from the money they earn by working and investing and the left that lives off of government wants more free stuff. If there were that many right wing deadbeats Romney would have won the election.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Ahhh, you gotta love the bozos and cretins we've elected to government, and some of them weren't even elected they just kind of got around the elections. Half of them complain about the crap on the rug they took, the other half complain that the crap on the rug they took wasn't nearly big enough. And we get to clean it up and say what a great job they did.
So I'll pay another $10 or $15 dollars a week in taxes and get nothing to show for it. I'm already paying more for health care and gas and food. So my vote gets thrown in the trash and gets changed to being for somebody else that I voted against. So the government wants to push me and many tens of millions others like me around. So what. So the deficit and debt will continue to explode and we'll ruin the economy completely and have a total collapse. Its what they want. More and more want a free ride and think they'll get one. The fools.
Just sit back and ignore them is my advice. Live your lives like DC doesn't exist, forget these bozos exist.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's FICA people..your retirement money.
Assuming "your retirement money" you are referring to Social Security and Medicare, according to many it's not "your" money and when you do collect it you are stealing from the government.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Ahhh, you gotta love the bozos and cretins we've elected to government, and some of them weren't even elected they just kind of got around the elections. Half of them complain about the crap on the rug they took, the other half complain that the crap on the rug they took wasn't nearly big enough. And we get to clean it up and say what a great job they did.
So I'll pay another $10 or $15 dollars a week in taxes and get nothing to show for it. I'm already paying more for health care and gas and food. So my vote gets thrown in the trash and gets changed to being for somebody else that I voted against. So the government wants to push me and many tens of millions others like me around. So what. So the deficit and debt will continue to explode and we'll ruin the economy completely and have a total collapse. Its what they want. More and more want a free ride and think they'll get one. The fools.
Just sit back and ignore them is my advice. Live your lives like DC doesn't exist, forget these bozos exist.
That's FICA my friend. When you turn 62/65 you'll be looking for it.
It's for your future, all our futures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies