Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,438,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
"For the first time since 1994, the Violence Against Women Act is no more. It was approved by the Senate in April but now House GOP have blocked the bill.

Proponents of the law hope to revive the law in the new Congress, starting from scratch, but in the meantime, there will be far fewer resources available for state and local governments to combat domestic violence."

Why do the GOP hate women so much?

GOP Blocks Violence Against Women Act - The Daily Beast
Why is violence against women worse than violence against men? Isn't it against the law to attack anyone? Why do women need a special act here?

I'd back a violence against anyone law but I see no reason to have special laws for special groups. Let's just agree violence against anyone is wrong.

BTW, I am female. I don't see why I need a special law protecting me. I think all people should be proected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:01 AM

58,632 posts, read 26,945,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
"For the first time since 1994, the Violence Against Women Act is no more. It was approved by the Senate in April but now House GOP have blocked the bill.

Proponents of the law hope to revive the law in the new Congress, starting from scratch, but in the meantime, there will be far fewer resources available for state and local governments to combat domestic violence."

Why do the GOP hate women so much?

GOP Blocks Violence Against Women Act - The Daily Beast
Another emotion ignorant rant.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,420,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
The Violence Against Women Act should be called the Violence Against Families Act.

There are already laws written criminalizing violence against ANYBODY. What this act does is prop up people with jobs who just focus on violence against women, and encourage women to report their spouses.

Let's be realistic, in a relationship with 2 people, violence is going to occur at some point. In most cases, the vast majority of cases, the family can survive and get past it. But what such an act does and has people meddle and manipulate a woman at her weakest having her do thing's not in her long term interest. Let the act die for all anyone should care.

Anyone who knows women, knows they will go straight to the police if they feel their life is in danger, especially if their kids' life is in danger. But getting slapped once during a heated argument? We don't need police, or these people involved in those cases. That's people being imperfect.
Are you really this stupid?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,226,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Another emotion ignorant rant.
Democrats invent laws like this which appeal to people's emotions. I mean, who the heck can oppose a law called The Violence Against Women Act? They then add men, illegal immigrants, and Native Americans without a debate on how this law is going to protect them or the people they accuse.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,226,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I hope that he is just referring to the fact that this doesn't need to be a federal issue. Local laws should take precedent.

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times
domestic violence in this country is 50/50. they found after the domestic violence law that too many women were being sent to jail. it was intended to be a anti male violence law, did not work that way. we do things different in america, guys are not necessarily the dominate figure in the home.

6,032 posts, read 9,181,904 times
I am pretty sure there are already laws on a local and state level against violence.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I am pretty sure there are already laws on a local and state level against violence.
Well the OP must think that women are excluded and need their own special law.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,763,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Your posts just prove that more education about domestic violence is needed.
It's clear that people don't understand what domestic violence is. It is about abuse: physical, verbal, mental, emotional, psychological, and THREATS, all of which men and women and CHILDREN are subjected to by abusers - both men and women.

My daughter lived with an abuser. I didn't know what was going on for a long time. What stopped her from telling anyone or from leaving was that he threatened to kill me and my mother (her grandmother). He moved her to another state and when he was put in the hospital from a severe beating by the local rednecks in a bar brawl, she fled and lived in fear.

People don't understand the scars that are left from being abused. The fear, no self-esteem, no confidence, depression, and a host of other issues that require professional help is provided by the many agencies available for victims of DV. They shelter women, provide training so that they can become self-sufficient, they help find them homes. The majority of women of DV have children who also need professional help.

Gay men are more willing to seek help than hetro men who are victims of DV. In 2008 3 out of 10 men suffered from DV. More than likely the number is the same today, if not higher.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,763,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Only a zombie could be that stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies