Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,824,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I remember the pretty boys used to drive Toyota trucks. They would try to steal the hot girls away from the Ford/Chevy guys. They were cheap and bad kissers.
Sorry ya did not like the Happy Meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,466,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Volkswagen actually makes some really great diesels now. Awesome fuel mileage on par with any hybrid.
It's too bad we don't have more diesel models available in the States. In Europe everyone drives diesels, way more efficient, but a lot of those models aren't available over here. I drove a diesel Citroen in Austria and Germany last month and it wasn't a bad ride.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I could actually use a truck for work but none of them get good enough gas mileage. The day someone makes a truck that gets 30mpg I'll consider getting one.
Yes, if my '96 Tacoma ever gives out it is going to be hard to replace. Tough being a cheap bastard who likes to have a truck nowadays.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,072,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I must chime in with my story: a friend once purchased a rather fancy pick-up truck. He was very proud of it, and showed me the lined interior of the bed.

A bit later, I asked him if we could use his truck to haul a refrigerator. He was aghast. "No", he said, "It may scratch the bed up!" I told him that when I needed to haul some pillows, I would call him. He never did use that truck to haul anything whatsoever. I still have no idea why he bought it.
LOL....that would make your friend exactly like 90% of pickup owners....they haul nothing, don't fish, don't hunt, and never take the damn thing off the pavement.

But let this thread go on a few more pages, it'll get to the point where they need 'em to haul continents around. If anyone really believes half this crap about moose hunting and hauling their oil tanker sized fishing boats around, you'd have to suspend all reality.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,156,044 times
Default Real men drive trucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
Agree or disagree?

Note: I am not putting this in the automotive forum because it's not about trucks themselves; rather, it's about the social constructs of real men driving trucks.
Real men drive TRUCK!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM

I guess I am in the middle of this argument. I like a truck for utilitarian purposes. I do jobs around the house and pretty much get all my furniture off craigslist nowadays. If I ever spend big bucks on a vehicle it won't be a truck.

Real men can also drive Smart cars. They just be real stupid men.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,739,279 times
The next vehicle I get will be a hybrid or a diesel car. I wish I could get a hybrid diesel. I don't need a truck to make me feel like a man.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM

72,846 posts, read 62,282,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Well....the F-Series is still the best selling vehicle in the country and has been for almost half a century. The pickup in general is also the best selling vehicle in the world so that should tell you something, also.

You don't need a truck to fish or hunt but it's hard to stuff a dead elk in the trunk of a Prius. They don't handle very well off the road, either.

Lots of people fish without a truck and if you're not towing a boat it makes perfect sense unless your gear doesn't fit.

I suppose I could have towed the camper with the Audi but I think it voided the warranty.

I've had a truck for years as a utility vehicle. It isn't my choice for a daily driver but when you need one they are sure handy. If you had to choose one vehicle and you lived an active life outside of a major city a truck makes good sense.
My father has gone fishing and hunting and he never owned a pickup truck. Rather, he has a first generation Nissan Pathfinder, from back in the 80s, the really small SUV. He was able to tow a boat with that, as well as drive up a 45 degree incline. He didn't need a pickup for that.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM

72,846 posts, read 62,282,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The next vehicle I get will be a hybrid or a diesel car. I wish I could get a hybrid diesel. I don't need a truck to make me feel like a man.
You and I think alike. I don't need a truck to feel like a man either. What I don't understand is the idea of "real men drive trucks".

Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,072,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You and I think alike. I don't need a truck to feel like a man either. What I don't understand is the idea of "real men drive trucks".
It's so easy. The marketing plan is genius...

You get a deep voiced actor like Sam Elliot to do a little voice work. He makes owning a truck 'sound' like the tough thing to do. It's as if you're testosterone is gonna double the minute you sign your lease.

Then the show the pickup doing a bunch of tough looking jobs. Hauling wood, tools, construction materials....all things that were done long before every grandmother in America decided that a pickup was the thing to have.

And of course, the commercials must have some tough looking hombres with jeans, boots, a flannel shirt, and a hat....preferably a Stetson, but a folded up ball cap with some real man brand like John Deere or Caterpillar will do. LOL..

Of course, when the commercial is done, the actors change clothes, jump in their Prius's, and head home.

I gotta admit though, it works like a charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies