Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 AM

19 posts, read 27,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
OK, but why do the Island's current residents let their other taxes soar? In the big picture $2K of taxes is really not that big a deal if you're already paying a good chunk of your income in taxes. I just don't see any real outrage by Islanders outside of griping on a forum.

Respectfully think you're daft on this or just being argumentative for fun. Someone just pointed out two very real utility bills per month that will go unpaid. That's real. Relating it to LI's insane tax burden is moot. They aren't mutually exclusive. The taxes are a real systemic nightmare here and you know it's more complicated than people just "letting them soar"...AND a 2% payroll tax increase is a real paycheck to paycheck pain. $1300/yr for most rational people is a very "big deal" regardless of how much other tax we pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Because, IIRC, the benefits are limited.
I really don't care....it should be a set % of income across the board, problem solved.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
I think the 2% loss in pay compounded by the inflation we're seeing is very significant... It's going to hurt many people. To be honest I'm not sure the Dems would have pushed on that tax holiday had the GOP been more in line with the 250k income line instead of the 400k line they ultimately settled on. There was no secret that they wanted more revenue.

and to the OP... you think Congress threw us under the bus with this? You've seen nothing compared to what's going to happen when they allow us to default as a country via the debt ceiling in a couple of months. These guys have completely lost their minds, direction, and any concept of how to legislate within a true democracy. It's sad... and there's no doubt Murdoch and the PR arm of the GOP (aka FOX) will tell us all to blame Obama. Many will take the bait, but more and more it's getting harder to hide what a utter train wreck the House is as more and more guys like King and Christie expose their party for all to see... The inmates are clearly running the asylum over there.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,695,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I really don't care....it should be a set % of income across the board, problem solved.
I dont disagree with you on that, but thats not the crux of the issue and cant be solved easily.

The problem is really that costs went up and us the middle class (or whats left of it) are stuck with lower take home pay and higher costs.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think the 2% loss in pay compounded by the inflation we're seeing is very significant... It's going to hurt many people. To be honest I'm not sure the Dems would have pushed on that tax holiday had the GOP been more in line with the 250k income line instead of the 400k line they ultimately settled on. There was no secret that they wanted more revenue.

and to the OP... you think Congress threw us under the bus with this? You've seen nothing compared to what's going to happen when they allow us to default as a country via the debt ceiling in a couple of months. These guys have completely lost their minds, direction, and any concept of how to legislate within a true democracy. It's sad... and there's no doubt Murdoch and the PR arm of the GOP (aka FOX) will tell us all to blame Obama. Many will take the bait, but more and more it's getting harder to hide what a utter train wreck the House is as more and more guys like King and Christie expose their party for all to see... The inmates are clearly running the asylum over there.
I was being some metaphorical in that if we got shoved off a cliff we'd die, but you could survive getting thrown under a bus. I know that this is just the beginning of the end. Wait till all the NObamacare stuff kicks in.

See your W2 this year its going to have the "cost" of your employer health plan on it for "informational purposes", line 12, code "DD". Wait till someone gets the idea to start taxing that as income.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As allready mentioned when the tax cut was in effects fees and other associated costs sprang up to replace those monies, like the airlines jacking up prices as gas approached 5$ a gallon. Well now the tax rate is back where it started will the higher/new fees get reduced or eliminated? Like airline prices I think not, they will just justify it as pending, probable un-anticipated costs make it necessary to keep both..

I wish we had adult leadership in congress....
I wasnt even referring to discrestionary travel, but to things like gas for your car and food. Those costs are not going down.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM

556 posts, read 622,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I was being some metaphorical in that if we got shoved off a cliff we'd die, but you could survive getting thrown under a bus. I know that this is just the beginning of the end. Wait till all the NObamacare stuff kicks in.

See your W2 this year its going to have the "cost" of your employer health plan on it for "informational purposes", line 12, code "DD". Wait till someone gets the idea to start taxing that as income.
What's always made me angry about congress is that they are willing to tax our employer provided benefits (like the above mentioned health care, company cars, etc) while ignoring their own government provided benefits. Each Representative and Congressman receives millions of dollars to run his office without having to account for it. Why shouldn't they play by the same rules as us?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Quote:
Um, yes we are griping with our politicians and school boards. Its not easy to fight the status quo.
That's the spirit, damn the torpedoes, full gripe ahead! Is it working?

Look, if Islanders can't figure out how to elect effective local pols that care about the Island and who will work to make it matter to it's own geographic area and NYS, what makes you think DC will care about dinging you with an extra 2K?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Life View Post
Respectfully think you're daft on this or just being argumentative for fun. Someone just pointed out two very real utility bills per month that will go unpaid. That's real. Relating it to LI's insane tax burden is moot. They aren't mutually exclusive. The taxes are a real systemic nightmare here and you know it's more complicated than people just "letting them soar"...AND a 2% payroll tax increase is a real paycheck to paycheck pain. $1300/yr for most rational people is a very "big deal" regardless of how much other tax we pay.
Why are Long Island's tax burden moot? And yes, people have let them soar because they aren't unified past their school districts. And even that is questionable.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Quote:

That's coming very soon...trust me. Our government is a joke. Its very sad to see. I'm not sure we will get out of this hole. Something drastic NEEDS to be done. How about new manufacturing jobs...back here where they belong????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies