Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
You're talking about anchor babies. I was an anchor baby, my parents immigrated here from a spanish speaking country and after I was born, my parents worked menial jobs until they secured enough resources to apply for citizenship. Both my parents speak and write English now and worked full time jobs where they actually contributed something. I agree the problem are minorites who come here and basically PLUNDER our resources and contribute to high crime and drugs. The Dream Act tried to address this somehow but it seems that as much popular support it received politically in some states/groups, it was reviled my many in the GOP/Tea Party because they just want to deport anyone who looks foreign.

My friends immigrated here from a European country with proper visas. They bore children here, but no one considered them anchor babies because both parents were here and working (legally) and contributing. Like your parents, they applied for citizenship later on.

IMHO people refer only to children of illegal immigrants as anchor babies.

It sounds as though your parents came here because they wanted to get ahead, not because they wanted to game the system for what it was worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Never happen as no one from the "good" areas will want the "bad" area's kids going to their schools.
You misunderstood me.

I did not mean 1 superintendent for each county in which case the school districts would all combine.

I mean one OVERSEER (for lack of a better term) of the individual school superintendants and school boards for each County.

For example, the OVERSEER could make a set of guidelines each fiscal year governing any contracts that come up for renegotiation that particular fiscal year. It would set standards for raises, perks and payment contributions to benefits and pensions, based on the local economy of each county, that all school boards must stay within. All school districts cannot give more than ___% percent for an annual raise, for example. They are welcome to give less, but they cannot give more. That is more like what I mean, not actually combining school districts, but having county control above them.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 01-04-2013 at 04:07 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times
Other than improper funding, another problem with SS is the demographics. First, in the U.S., there is a lesser population of Generation Y than Generation X baby boomers which means lesser funding for the future. Second, is the economic recession and the fact that the U.S. turning into a white collar economy because many blue collar jobs have gone overseas. This means that more milennials are going to some type of graduate school and losing out on full-time working years, which means less funding from payroll tax.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 PM

126 posts, read 222,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How did you pay for these things before the payroll tax holiday?
Before the holiday gas, food, clothing, etc were a lot less expensive. Gas was more than $1.30 cheaper/gallon in 9/2010 than it was by May 2011. It has stayed high, driving up the cost of food and anything else that needs to be transported.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
Before the holiday gas, food, clothing, etc were a lot less expensive. Gas was more than $1.30 cheaper/gallon in 9/2010 than it was by May 2011. It has stayed high, driving up the cost of food and anything else that needs to be transported.
Thats exactly my point. During the tax holiday, the cost of basic needs and staples went thru the roof, higher than inflation. The prices havent come down but now everyone's paycheck has. People were using the extra money from the tax holiday not to go on spending sprees but just to continue to live. This is insane.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Not to be anymore callous than I already am, but move to where the COL is cheaper or find a career that pays better. Maybe you all can't afford to live on the Island with your current occupation. If you were just getting by then that was your cue to take action.
They really have to stop these tax holidays and just reform the tax code.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Not to be anymore callous than I already am, but move to where the COL is cheaper or find a career that pays better. Maybe you all can't afford to live on the Island with your current occupation. If you were just getting by then that was your cue to take action.
They really have to stop these tax holidays and just reform the tax code.
Yeah, we'll all just pick up our families, our lives and stuff so we can go somewhere cheaper to live where the salaries are lower. Sounds simple.. it isn't. There are many reasons people stay. Sick family, personal medical issues, family care, etc...

Or lets just change careers, I'll whip up the magie genie and make me CEO of a Fortune 500.

Come on, be real.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Yeah, we'll all just pick up our families, our lives and stuff so we can go somewhere cheaper to live where the salaries are lower. Sounds simple.. it isn't. There are many reasons people stay. Sick family, personal medical issues, family care, etc...

Or lets just change careers, I'll whip up the magie genie and make me CEO of a Fortune 500.

Come on, be real.
I am being real and it is really simple. If you are not making ends meet using Plan A, then it's time to come up with a Plan B, because things are not going to get any better for a long time in general.

There are a few reasons people stay but a lot more are just excuses with family being the main one. Somehow our grandparents left families, homes and language behind to have a chance at making it across an ocean, and now Long Islanders who are going broke can't move to another state (pick one) less than 500 miles away for a job or career?

I have friends and the family doing quite well on the Island, but they're pretty well off. Maybe the Island is only for millionaires and migrants like Clamboy used to say.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
These costs would have gone through the roof regardless of whether or not there was a tax holiday. The question is: how would you have paid for these expenses if you didn't have the TEMPORARY payroll tax holiday?

Costs have risen continuously; this is nothing new. Whether it is a gallon of milk or gas, no price is set in stone.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I am being real and it is really simple. If you are not making ends meet using Plan A, then it's time to come up with a Plan B, because things are not going to get any better for a long time in general.

There are a few reasons people stay but a lot more are just excuses with family being the main one. Somehow our grandparents left families, homes and language behind to have a chance at making it across an ocean, and now Long Islanders who are going broke can't move to another state (pick one) less than 500 miles away for a job or career?

I have friends and the family doing quite well on the Island, but they're pretty well off. Maybe the Island is only for millionaires and migrants like Clamboy used to say.
People are trying plan B. Its a lot easier to avoid climbing out of a hole than one already dug. But if you are in the hole, and someone (prices climbing) keep making it deeper while you try to climb out, well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies