Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It won't raise them out of poverty because goods and service prices will rise. A certain segment of the population will always live in poverty. Unfortunately, it is more likely to happen to single minority mothers and their children than any other demographic. You want to truly battle poverty? Encourage marriage and hold fathers accountable. Two adults can combine their resources therefore creating a better standard of living and environment in which to raise a child than one adult. Fathers are not expendable.

The other thing worth noting is that what we consider poverty is often a higher standard of living than middle class people have in other countries.
http://www.timbro.se/bokhandel/pdf/9175665646.pdf

Women don't want to marry burger flippers and government can't make them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Right..so we just keep pouring money into government programs to subsidize these people.
Underfunded or over taxed..either way you are going to pay for it and the numbers are growing, not shrinking.

And that is a major problem for the Democrats..how to raise revenue to continue to fund these growing programs.
The "welfare state" is running out of money.

I'm paying up the wazoo to subsidize my middle class homeowner neighbors. How come I never see conservatives or Republicans complain about that?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Because having a kid outside of marriage is not seen as bad.
And one can depend on the government to subsidize your finances.

In some cases being a single mother is your way out to having your own apartment.
There is a mindset among some poor that would boggle your mind when you heard it.

Working among poor kids in the schools has educated me beyond any MSM article or study.
And you realize that this is all they know; this is how they were raised, this is how their friends live, this is how their relatives live and this is how they will live.

Have they ever considered getting a job and becoming a productive member of society?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You seem to think they all drop out at 10 years old and we need to pity them and support them financially regardless of their decisions.

If they are being raised in a home of drug addicted parents then call CPS and have them removed.
If they are coming to school hungry and not being fed, call CPS and have them removed.
If they are not coming to school, call CPS and have the parents brought to court.

Start making the parents responsible, accountable and punishable for their actions on their minor children.
Start taking away the children and expand foster care in the hopes you can change the kids.

All we ever want to do though is throw more money at these problems to keep them under the radar.

WTF? I was (temporarily) raised by drug addicted parents, who handed me off to some friends (a married couple, both were alcoholics) who fed me freaking ketchup sandwiches because there was nothing else to feed me (the refrigerator was, however, fully stocked with beer). I missed about half my school days in first grade.

Where was CPS? Who knows?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need to pick a career where the employment is, certain computer science majors are walking out of the school with their diploma in hand right into $100K jobs.

If you can't afford the right training you don't get to decide on those careers.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The question that begs for attention is: Why are so many American's working minimum wage jobs? The answer is much larger than the current economic downturn......this is about the number of unskilled American's seeking jobs. Why are there so many unskilled and uneducated people to begin with?

Because it beats the pants off the alternative of NOT working minimum wage jobs, not being able to pay for food and rent, and therefore starving and freezing.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Raising Minimum Wage Lifts Single Mothers Out of Poverty and Boosts U.S. Economy, Policy Report Shows

A fast-food manager was taking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him.

He said, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new Federal minimum-wage laws say I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Somebody remind me, how has the single mother who got fired, "lifted out of poverty"?

Bad premise. In most cases, the manager does not need to fire anybody - high turnover and attrition will do that job for him. And if he ever does need to actually fire someone, it will probably be a high school kid who doesn't need to actually live on that wage.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Dec. 19, 2012

AUSTIN, Texas — Raising the minimum wage to a living wage begins the cycle of lifting single mothers out of poverty, according to a policy report released by the Institute for Urban Policy Research & Analysis (IUPRA) at The University of Texas at Austin.

The U.S. census shows more Americans — 46.2 million people — are living in poverty than ever before. And for African American and Hispanic women, a full-time minimum wage job isn’t enough to break out of the poverty cycle. According to the report, working women of color make $0.64 and $0.56, respectively, for every dollar white men earn.............................

Raising Minimum Wage Lifts Single Mothers Out of Poverty and Boosts U.S. Economy, Policy Report Shows | News

I suspected this article was going to be liberal trash considering it came from Austin. So I went ahead and read it, and sure enough it's garbage. The problem is studied only from the point of view of the poor single mothers and how much they need to live better. No information on what type of jobs they work, what the effect would be on the companies employing them, no projections of how many jobs would be lost entirely, etc. Typical liberal lack of foresight. Consider purely the evidence that supports your pre-conceived ideas, and make no effort to investigate what the overall consequences might be of your actions. It reminds me the studies on female education they did and changed the climate of the schools to benefit girls with no thought to the effect that might have on the boys. Now that those little kids are getting to post secondary age, some colleges are as much as 70% female and some schools are having to engage in affirmative action for white men. Because the liberals gave no thought to anything but their politically correct social engineering.

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm paying up the wazoo to subsidize my middle class homeowner neighbors. How come I never see conservatives or Republicans complain about that?
How is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think you've exaggerated a bit with this post, but your general point is understood. Minimum wage is a chicken and egg arument overall. To unilaterally increase the minimum wage, an employer will expect some level of increased productivity. The problem with that is that most minimum wage employees view the "minimum wage" to be an entitlement set by law, therefore requiring no additional productivity. This is diametrically opposed to the purpose and vested interest of business ownership.

As CoalMan asserted, the way to make more money is to not hang around the minimum wage echelon but work your way up the ladder through hard work, perserverence, commitment, and good decision-making. Anyone who aspires to make more than current minimum wage should not be doing so because the law provides for it. They should work for it. That's partly why employers resist such proposed policies. Minimum wage usually means more in labor costs which does nothing good for the consumer or competition. The chicken and the egg come full circle.

There's a well-known concept in economics called signaling. Paying minimum wage for a job signals loud and clear that the job is worth chump change. Do you expect employees to have a different view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies