Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM

10,263 posts, read 12,491,160 times

Advertisements

Dec. 19, 2012

AUSTIN, Texas — Raising the minimum wage to a living wage begins the cycle of lifting single mothers out of poverty, according to a policy report released by the Institute for Urban Policy Research & Analysis (IUPRA) at The University of Texas at Austin.

The U.S. census shows more Americans — 46.2 million people — are living in poverty than ever before. And for African American and Hispanic women, a full-time minimum wage job isn’t enough to break out of the poverty cycle. According to the report, working women of color make $0.64 and $0.56, respectively, for every dollar white men earn.............................

Raising Minimum Wage Lifts Single Mothers Out of Poverty and Boosts U.S. Economy, Policy Report Shows | News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,770,165 times
if that report was anywhere near true, then we should have NO poverty in this country what so ever. the reality is though that employers reduce the number of people they hire when the minimum wage goes up. dont forget that union wages, and many government wages are tied to the minimum wage, and when the minimum wage goes up, so do the other wages.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,951,513 times
Worker makes $10 an hour they pay $10 for item.

Worker makes $20 an hour they pay $20 for same item.

Worker makes $1,000,000 an hour they pay $1,000,000 dollar for same item.

If you want to increase your pay you need to increase the vlaue of your labor. It's not going to change by increasing the dollar amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
According to the report, working women of color make $0.64 and $0.56, respectively, for every dollar white men earn.............................
And I suppose this has taken into account things like experience, career choice, life choices, men are more likely to work weekends and overtime, men are more likely to work higher paying labor intensive and dangerous jobs?

You don't have to answer that because I know it without even looking where those figure came from. It didn't.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,093,165 times
The question that begs for attention is: Why are so many American's working minimum wage jobs? The answer is much larger than the current economic downturn......this is about the number of unskilled American's seeking jobs. Why are there so many unskilled and uneducated people to begin with?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,919,435 times
You do know you're going to get a lot of flack around here by posting that, right?

While putting more money in billionaire's pockets will boost the economy, putting more money in the pockets of the working class by giving them a living wage is communism. Corporations should stop at nothing to increase their profit lines. CEO's DESERVE to be paid $300 million/year along with a $100 million annual bonus. Regular workers should be glad they still have their low paying jobs. If the minimum wage gets raised, companies will retaliate by outsourcing all their jobs to Sri Lanka. So shut up and suck it up.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,187,354 times
Did you actually read the article? Nowhere does it say HOW raising minimum wage would boost the economy. They make the assumption that 'Congress should work to increase the federal minimum wage and then adjust it to inflation' while blindly hoping that action would boost overall economic growth. They talk about the economies of specific low income communities, but nowhere do they say how (or if) that action could ever help the nation's economy at a macro level.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,770,443 times
Raising Minimum Wage Lifts Single Mothers Out of Poverty and Boosts U.S. Economy, Policy Report Shows

A fast-food manager was taking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him.

He said, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new Federal minimum-wage laws say I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Somebody remind me, how has the single mother who got fired, "lifted out of poverty"?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,093,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You do know you're going to get a lot of flack around here by posting that, right?

While putting more money in billionaire's pockets will boost the economy, putting more money in the pockets of the working class by giving them a living wage is communism. Corporations should stop at nothing to increase their profit lines. CEO's DESERVE to be paid $300 million/year along with a $100 million annual bonus. Regular workers should be glad they still have their low paying jobs. If the minimum wage gets raised, companies will retaliate by outsourcing all their jobs to Sri Lanka. So shut up and suck it up.
I think you've exaggerated a bit with this post, but your general point is understood. Minimum wage is a chicken and egg arument overall. To unilaterally increase the minimum wage, an employer will expect some level of increased productivity. The problem with that is that most minimum wage employees view the "minimum wage" to be an entitlement set by law, therefore requiring no additional productivity. This is diametrically opposed to the purpose and vested interest of business ownership.

As CoalMan asserted, the way to make more money is to not hang around the minimum wage echelon but work your way up the ladder through hard work, perserverence, commitment, and good decision-making. Anyone who aspires to make more than current minimum wage should not be doing so because the law provides for it. They should work for it. That's partly why employers resist such proposed policies. Minimum wage usually means more in labor costs which does nothing good for the consumer or competition. The chicken and the egg come full circle.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM

11,129 posts, read 10,681,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The question that begs for attention is: Why are so many American's working minimum wage jobs? The answer is much larger than the current economic downturn......this is about the number of unskilled American's seeking jobs. Why are there so many unskilled and uneducated people to begin with?
This^^ x 10

If you want to make more money per hour that you work, increase your skill set so that you don't have to work minimum wage jobs.

As for raising minimum wage, the only thing that will do is increase the poverty limit. When minimum wage goes up, so do prices. It's happened every single time that the government has raised the minimum wage, and it will happen every time they do so in the future.

Think about this logically:
The products you purchase are created by workers. Assuming that those products are made in the USA, they are probably made at least in part by minimum wage workers. If minimum wage goes up, that added cost to the employer will be reflected in the price of products that are produced by the people making minimum wage. So, government raises minimum wage = prices go up = people making minimum wage are still barely scraping by.

It isn't rocket surgery or brain science, it's good old fashioned common sense.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM

4,114 posts, read 4,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Raising Minimum Wage Lifts Single Mothers Out of Poverty and Boosts U.S. Economy, Policy Report Shows

A fast-food manager was taking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him.

He said, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new Federal minimum-wage laws say I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Somebody remind me, how has the single mother who got fired, "lifted out of poverty"?
She is eligible to get welfare again. Welfare is the new middle class. Free food, free medical/dental, free cell phone, free or low cost housing. I am sure more free stuffs will be coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies