Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The Origins of the Underclass - 86.07

Black southern culture, not white southern culture. The black southern culture of being former slaves, and then sharecroppers----not having opportunities, being denied education, having many children so they had more family members in the cotton fields or orange groves, low marriage rates (because as slaves black mates were so often separated even if they were husband and wife), not owning their own homes, highly religious and even food habits. The author talks about how some of the foods cooked in the urban inner-city ghettos are more like meals made in Mississippi. Also a culture of permanent poverty and all the negativity and hopelessness that implies. That's what I thought the articles (there are two) are referring to.

And I'm not saying that motivated people don't escape inner-city poverty. That is what the articles refer to also. The motivated and the lucky black families escape the inner-cities leaving the more addicted, the less skilled, the more troubled folks behind.
I am beginning to wonder if the people who opt to stay behind for a reason? I wonder how educable they are or do they have the where with all to do anything other than hang out or sling drugs. There has to be something they can do besides cause/get into trouble. I dont want to get into the war on drugs, save for another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
Default There is a way to discuss these issues but do it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
There is no way in which a white person can bring up the very real problems in the black community without that white person being called a "racist". That's where you aer wrong, you can bring it up. We as blacks have no problem talking about the issues, but we just don't discuss them with white people b/c too many times they use these issues and our admitting them as JUSTIFICATION to dislike all of us. You can discuss this issues w/o being condescending about it. I'm all for acknowledgement but when it's done in a condescending manner or used as a free pass to discriminate against me as a person when I had nothing to do w/ it, you bet your ass I have a problem w/ it.

Oh wait, there is one way:

The white person must "acknowledge" that the roots of said problems can be traced back to White Supremacy or, in other words, they must plead white guilt and ask for forgiveness.No, all in your mind, we don't want your apologies b/c it's obvious that many of you don't give a ****. We are simply asking that you stop blaming blacks as a whole. SOME SOME SOME white people black blacks all for the actions of a few (as if we can be in every black persons brain )

The word "racist" is a shield that SOME (not all but SOME) blacks use to try to keep the ugly aspects of their culture out of any REAL discussion. Sure it is, and like you I am quite sickened (I'd even go as far as to say disgusted) by some of the actions committed by some members of my race, but again, why should I as a law abiding black citizen be labeled as a deadbeat b/c I supposedly don't speak out against it (i.e. not going on a public campaign telling every black person doing wrong what they are doing)? You know that SOME white people think for SOME strange reason that that's MY job! Where SOME SOME SOME get that idea? I have no clue.
[/color]
Should we believe your cry-wolf howls of RACISM!! or should we believe our lying eyes?
You tell me.
You don't get to sit on this forum and play the victim, sorry. For some reason, I don't believe that your being white has hindered you as much as me being black. I live in the south, you know I could be dressed very casually and still be perceived in a negative manner? How about the wiggers that I've dealt with that love this so called "black culture" (the drugs, etc) and yet it's men of MY complexion that get the rep? I'm sure you don't get followed in the store just b/c your complexion. How about the fact that I can't get w/o a group a black friends w/o others thinking "they must be up to something". I have to worry about my actions on a regular basis to avoid looking like another statistic. Think about that.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 02-12-2013 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 01:15 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
You don't get to sit on this forum and play the victim, sorry. For some reason, I don't believe that your being white has hindered you as much as me being black. I live in the south, you know I could be dressed very casually and still be perceived in a negative manner? How about the wiggers that I've dealt with that love this so called "black culture" (the drugs, etc) and yet it's men of MY complexion that get the rep? I'm sure you don't get followed in the store just b/c your complexion. How about the fact that I can't get w/o a group a black friends w/o others thinking "they must be up to something". I have to worry about my actions on a regular basis to avoid looking like another statistic. Think about that.
Lovely use of the anti-white attack word "wig*ers" there....

Gotta love those double standards.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,805 times
I did not come up w/ the term it was used to make a point. I don't wanna call them "wanna-be black" kids b/c not all black kids even act like that. I do find it funny that in that entire response all you saw was the "wiggers" word.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It sounds like the remedial kids should aspire to be teachers or school administrators. Or perhaps politicians.

I'm suprised the schools would waste your time like that. Students that aren't in the top 5% or so of their HS class are VERY unlikely to make it through an engineering program.
My brother was a Salutatorian with a 4.3 GPA, and he bailed out of Engineering. Switched to English. In his case, I think he was smart enough, but he liked all those good grades and a few Cs in differential equations rocked his world (I was the B+ student who ended up in science, just keep pressing on was my motto). But, yeah, I agree, it is unlikely the guy who is repeating pre-algebra and metalshop is likely to get an engineering degree.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM

32 posts, read 126,845 times
so it's only blacks that need to improve. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedin08 View Post
so it's only blacks that need to improve. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Sigh another one who doesn't grasp logic. Blacks have the most room to improve doesn't mean others don't need to.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sure. Ghetto culture is a result of poor black migrants moving North into concentrated areas. Since they now were un tethered from the social restraints of Southern rural culture they were free to engage in all manners of anti social behavior. This behavior was later enabled by white liberals with welfare.
So basically, you're saying Blacks need to be restricted?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I am beginning to wonder if the people who opt to stay behind for a reason? I wonder how educable they are or do they have the where with all to do anything other than hang out or sling drugs. There has to be something they can do besides cause/get into trouble. I dont want to get into the war on drugs, save for another thread.
Alot of people left because they were tired of taking crap from other people. Some stayed because they were beaten down, were afraid to leave, or didn't know any better. What prompted more migration was the mechanization of cotton farming, therefore, less people were needed.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You should drive down 4th ave on a warm summer evening where I live (mostly adults). The difference is, you can say something to the white kids about there loud music and noise, try it with the black kids/semi adults and unless you are a cop, you might get beat up or shot.
I've said something to some Black kids about their loud music, and it was never a problem for me.

Everything I hear, I feel like you based everything about the Black population on being in the Pittsburgh area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies