Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times

Advertisements

I say F' Hobby Lobby, let them go away. Really, we don't need them.

You can have any belief you want, that is fine. Yet at a certain point you must respect and work with the beliefs of your employees. I know they want to focus this discussion on the poor rich people who run this organization. . .so sad for them.

Yet the people hurt by this are the employees, not these old rich probably don't have sex anymore people. Mother jones noted that woman who use birth control "are the 99%". This is nothing but a couple rich people picking a fight and trying to reinforce their religious beliefs on others.

I stand with the employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Hobby Lobby, as you may know, is facing fines of $1.3MM per day for refusing to comply with the HHS death-drug mandate. The sheer malice of the Obama administration is astounding. Please read this open letter from David Green, Hobby Lobby's founder and CEO, which you are unlikely to see printed in mainstream news sources:

"Our government threatens to fine job creators in a bad economy. Our government threatens to fine a company that’s raised wages four years running. Our government threatens to fine a family for running its business according to its beliefs. It’s not right. I know people will say we ought to follow the rules; that it’s the same for everybody. But that’s not true. The government has exempted thousands of companies from this mandate, for reasons of convenience or cost. But it won’t exempt them for reasons of religious belief."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I think Hobby Lobby just doesn't want to have to pay for insurance and they're looking for an excuse to take the fine instead without looking like a villain to their employees.
Sure, after years of providing health insurance, HL is using the Obamacare mandate as an excuse to drop insurance.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Sure, after years of providing health insurance, HL is using the Obamacare mandate as an excuse to drop insurance.
What HL offers is nowhere near up to par with what real insurance and Obamacare requires. Its not an HMO or anything like that. Its probably cheaper than the fine.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
What HL offers is nowhere near up to par with what real insurance and Obamacare requires. Its not an HMO or anything like that. Its probably cheaper than the fine.
Do you know any specifics about HL's insurance? How is it not up to par with "real" insurance or HMOs?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I say F' Hobby Lobby, let them go away. Really, we don't need them.

You can have any belief you want, that is fine. Yet at a certain point you must respect and work with the beliefs of your employees. I know they want to focus this discussion on the poor rich people who run this organization. . .so sad for them.

Yet the people hurt by this are the employees, not these old rich probably don't have sex anymore people. Mother jones noted that woman who use birth control "are the 99%". This is nothing but a couple rich people picking a fight and trying to reinforce their religious beliefs on others.

I stand with the employees.
It's not the employee's who are imposing Obamacare it is the current Administration.
"the poor rich people"? If HL goes bottom up, it is the employee's who will suffer as well as all of us in general as less jobs and less revenues generated by an employer hurts the economy. Frankly, we do need Small Business right now.

Reinforce their religious beliefs on others?
What does this mean.

Do you mean impose? Because it is simply not true that HL is imposing anything upon its employees.
What HL is doing is protesting the government impose actions that violate their religious convictions upon them.
The business owners, not the empolyees are the ones being discriminated against.

This is nothing but government trying to infringe upon the 1st amendment rights of citizens who run businesses.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM

Maybe we don't know what we are talking about because we don't know what their policy covers anyway. In ALL of my group and individual policies ever, if the product is available in non-prescription form, it is not covered. The morning after pill 72 hr, is OTC. I don't know if Obamacare addresses this OTC issue.???? Exempt it for birth control?

The longer acting pill is prescription, is a newer version, and normally policies discourage that by placing big deductibles for that new fancy versions or not covering it altogether because of expense. So everyone is up in arms about coverage of that one pill.??? To be had for free? Which hasn't even existed all that long...

None of this prevents access to contraception. The day after pill is OTC, just go get it like you do your other things from the pharmacy. I have to go to the counter to get my decongestants, and sign for them. They are not covered under my insurance because they don't require a rx.

Something's missing in this picture.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:25 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well they can stop self insuring and their problem would be solved.
Bingo you win. This is Obama's plan all along. Make everyone get on Obamacare or one payer insurance---the government. Cradle to grave folks---cradle to grave.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe we don't know what we are talking about because we don't know what their policy covers anyway. In ALL of my group and individual policies ever, if the product is available in non-prescription form, it is not covered. The morning after pill 72 hr, is OTC. I don't know if Obamacare addresses this OTC issue.???? Exempt it for birth control?

The longer acting pill is prescription, is a newer version, and normally policies discourage that by placing big deductibles for that new fancy versions or not covering it altogether because of expense. So everyone is up in arms about coverage of that one pill.??? To be had for free? Which hasn't even existed all that long...

None of this prevents access to contraception. The day after pill is OTC, just go get it like you do your other things from the pharmacy. I have to go to the counter to get my decongestants, and sign for them. They are not covered under my insurance because they don't require a rx.

Something's missing in this picture.
You have a point there.It would be interesting to know if that aspect was looked at.
A businessman this experienced and with the potential of shelling out such big money....we should assume he did.
I do know,in some instances an OTC drugs can still be covered by prescription .We get one.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You have a point there.It would be interesting to know if that aspect was looked at.
A businessman this experienced and with the potential of shelling out such big money....we should assume he did.
I do know,in some instances an OTC drugs can still be covered by prescription .We get one.
Even top insurance companies have gotten suuuper cheap and cover so little lately, so that surprises me. They push generic and charge a lot for name brands and stopped covering my antacids. There are so many different rules and now more rules to follow, what a mess.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Bingo you win. This is Obama's plan all along. Make everyone get on Obamacare or one payer insurance---the government. Cradle to grave folks---cradle to grave.
Actually I would be cool with every American having health insurance from birth to death regardless of income level and job. Obviously people making more could always go and buy even more extensive healthcare plans on their own.

Separating health insurance from employment would make it much easier for people to want to start their own businesses and take the types of risks that people won't take cause they are afraid to lose their healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies