Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Health insurance is not the only medical expense that people face. Why do you believe that health insurance is the only expenditure that households face on health care?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
CPI incorrectly has Health Insurance costs as rising 4.3 percent from 2008-2012.
Kaiser Survey of Employer Sponsored Health Insurance has it at 24.2

The kicker - Health insurance is counted as only 1 percent of the total CPI

Kaiser has the cost of health insurance for an avg American Household as 15k a year which is almost 1/3 of median household income
To which you replied:

Quote:
Hardly, it is 5.7% to 7.1%. Why do you have to lie?
ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.reques.../cpiri2011.txt
To which I replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Really? Maybe you should reread that again.

Health Insurance is only listed once in that link and last I checked .609% and .538% does not equal 5.7% and 7.1%...
Now that that's all cleared up why don't you post where I said Health Insurance is the only medical expense and then we can move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
umm...CPI is a weighted measure. Is the Kaiser Survey a weighted measure also?
umm... as said health insurance is only weighted 1 percent

Quote:
Hardly, it is 5.7% to 7.1%. Why do you have to lie?
ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.reques.../cpiri2011.txt
Why do you have to lie?
from that page
Health insurance.................................. .609

ooops looks like others have pointed out the lie that wasn't
thx to those who sought the truth

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 01-11-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: others corrected the poster

Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Yes considering your research so far has yielded these conclusions from your own links....

So ethanol and high fuel costs are the reason based on your links. And your chart and the charts in your links show that at the very least the economy isn't in free fall.....
yes food costs are rising. That's what I said. Pay attention.
Again - In 2012, the average food costs for a family of four were $2,055 higher than the previous trend line. For the average person it was $514 higher.

The point of my post, that you missed, was the economy is not recovering. It is still bad.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Look at the cost of technological items like televisions, radios and computers. How cheap are those now?
Incorrect.
In terms of actual silicon and labor? Very expensive.
Their cost only appears lower, because of reduced labor and materials in said products. In other words, you are paying far more for the amount of encapsulated labor and materials.
(Try costing out the parts to build a television based on tubes, and you will be depressed.)

As to the example of the Shopsmith, it is representative of hyperinflation, being consistently manufactured across the time period.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Incorrect.
In terms of actual silicon and labor? Very expensive.
Their cost only appears lower, because of reduced labor and materials in said products. In other words, you are paying far more for the amount of encapsulated labor and materials.
(Try costing out the parts to build a television based on tubes, and you will be depressed.)

As to the example of the Shopsmith, it is representative of hyperinflation, being consistently manufactured across the time period.
I don't understand what this means? Overall cost on those products is down because of technology. What difference does it make that certain segments are expensive? The final cost is the bottom line.
When you purchase the individual parts of a product the overall cost is more. Hasn't that always been the case?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times
Quote:
yes food costs are rising. That's what I said. Pay attention.
Again - In 2012, the average food costs for a family of four were $2,055 higher than the previous trend line. For the average person it was $514 higher.

The point of my post, that you missed, was the economy is not recovering. It is still bad.
I'm just going by your link.... It attributes it to ethanol. Perhaps you should read your own link?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I'm just going by your link.... It attributes it to ethanol. Perhaps you should read your own link?
Again the point of my post, which YOU missed again is food is rising AND the economy is not recovering. It is still bad.
Perhaps you should read MY post.

But keep ignoring the truth if it makes you sleep better at night.
Of course who can sleep knowing

Long Term Unemployment at Highest Level Since WWII

In the US today:
12 million Americans remain unemployed.
In December 22.6 million Americans were unemployed or underemployed.
The average unemployed American is out of work for nearly 40 weeks.

It’s an Obama World… Long Term Unemployment at Highest Level Since WWII | The Gateway Pundit

Tell me again how the economy is recovering???????

Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Seems recent grads can see rise in their starting salaries now that the economy isn't in the toilet.

Starting salaries rise for new graduates - Jan. 10, 2013
LMAO not in the toilet? Really? Even though household income is down 4k in the last 4 years and the labor participation rate is low and people are unemployment longer than ever?

Come and get your snake oil

Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I'm middle class and I've benefitted from the stock market rally - as have the MILLIONS of Americans who have either a 401K or company pension. If you have neither of those maybe you should have gotten an education so that you had a better job.

Ken
Funny how Republicans always make this same argument that you're making...until this thread.

Now they're going opposite all of a sudden.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Again the point of my post, which YOU missed again is food is rising AND the economy is not recovering. It is still bad.
Perhaps you should read MY post.

But keep ignoring the truth if it makes you sleep better at night.
Of course who can sleep knowing

Long Term Unemployment at Highest Level Since WWII

In the US today:
12 million Americans remain unemployed.
In December 22.6 million Americans were unemployed or underemployed.
The average unemployed American is out of work for nearly 40 weeks.

It’s an Obama World… Long Term Unemployment at Highest Level Since WWII | The Gateway Pundit

Tell me again how the economy is recovering???????
I think you just told us YOURSELF.
Your OWN chart shows long-term unemployment - while still very high - is coming DOWN.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies