Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
There's a lot of multi-millions on the taxpayers' dime that I have a problem with. This is the least of them.

[the false outrage is laughable]
It's not false.
I am upset that while this country struggles financially and the president adamantly refuses to address our spending problems they (the Obama's) flaunt their excessive waste of tax payer money. 7 million dollars is more than most of those who he supposedly champions will ever make in their entire life yet he pisses it away on one vacation.

This is evidence of an elitist mentality that in my mind pretty much is a slap in the face of all of us who subsidize his vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
It's not false.
I am upset that while this country struggles financially and the president adamantly refuses to address our spending problems they (the Obama's) flaunt their excessive waste of tax payer money. 7 million dollars is more than most of those who he supposedly champions will ever make in their entire life yet he pisses it away on one vacation.

This is evidence of an elitist mentality that in my mind pretty much is a slap in the face of all of us who subsidize his vacations.
Then you may want to start with bigger excessive wastes of taxpayer money.

[$7 million is nothing]

Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Then you may want to start with bigger excessive wastes of taxpayer money.

[$7 million is nothing]
Again, it is the frivolous nature of the expenditure which displays an elitist mentality and makes the stonewalling on larger issues understandable if not excusable. This guy doesn't care about the money he spends because it is not his money. Whether that money is spent on a vacation, military or domestic entitlement programs.

The attitude that 7 million dollars is nothing is a symptom of the problem that put us where we are. Seven million dollars is over nearly six times the amount of money the average person will make in their entire lifetime. To say Obama spending the lifetime income of six of his subjects for one family vacation is not a significant is just plain stupid.

When you go to trim a budget, aren't frivolous and non-essential expenditures first to be evaluated for cut back before you begin chipping away at larger more important expenditure?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Again, it is the frivolous nature of the expenditure which displays an elitist mentality and makes the stonewalling on larger issues understandable if not excusable. This guy doesn't care about the money he spends because it is not his money. Whether that money is spent on a vacation, military or domestic entitlement programs.

The attitude that 7 million dollars is nothing is a symptom of the problem that put us where we are. Seven million dollars is over nearly six times the amount of money the average person will make in their entire lifetime. To say Obama spending the lifetime income of six of his subjects for one family vacation is not a significant is just plain stupid.

When you go to trim a budget, aren't frivolous and non-essential expenditures first to be evaluated for cut back before you begin chipping away at larger more important expenditure?
Fair enough.

But we're blowing billions in Afghanistan nation-building for nothing and I can't bring myself to be outraged about Obama's vacation. How many times is the amount of money spent in Afghanistan compared to what the average person will make in his/her lifetime? This is like me agonizing over the $1 bill I dropped while a $100 bill goes bye-bye.

[millions to billions...]

Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy
Obamas spending over $7 million for Hawaii vacations
Sickening isnt it??

HE DOESNT CARE,$$$ means nothing to him...

Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
the person made two points in their post but you only chose to debate one.

Do you believe that the secret service get paid more because the president is moving? I would think that would part of their job description. But no I really don't care to Google to find proof of something that really doesn't concern me because at the end of the day it doesn't matter if he's in DC, Hawaii or Smackover, AR his security is going to be there. Besides I'm sure no source I could find would be nearly as reliable as Godfatherpolitics.com or whitehousedossier.com. I'm sure that these people get the invoices detailing the costs for every move the POTUS makes....OMG SASHA JUST DRANK A BOTTLE OF FUJI WATER FROM THE MINI-BAR! CAN'T SHE DRINK TAP WATER INSTEAD OF SPENDING THE TAX PAYERS MONEY!!!!!!!

Clearly Obama is the first POTUS ever to require security outside of White House, thus all the outrage and frequent posts. I'm sure tomorrow I'll wake up and see a thread that says "Obama wipes his ass with Charmin and not the Great Value tissue that I buy!"
You spent a lot of time babbling....

You could have just said,..." I don't know,...just made a statement that I can't support,....and if you want and proof of my statement, you can just google to find the documentation. Happy hunting."

Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why is going home considered a "luxurious trip?". Maybe if he was from Nebraska you would have an easier time. I think what's tripping you up is the fact that you consider Hawaii "luxurious" and have never been there. You can get some great deals there if you looks, especially for those of us on the West Coast. It's actually doable for a 3 day weekend getaway.
I thought they were from Chicago?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Fair enough.

But we're blowing billions in Afghanistan nation-building for nothing and I can't bring myself to be outraged about Obama's vacation. How many times is the amount of money spent in Afghanistan compared to what the average person will make in his/her lifetime? This is like me agonizing over the $1 bill I dropped while a $100 bill goes bye-bye.

[millions to billions...]
The difference here is that one is a national issue involving the entire government, the other is a personal issue involving Obama himself. Nobody is claiming that a vacation is the equivalent to the defense budget.

The complaint here is about the mindset.

Did Obama affect national policy with his phone call to Sandra Fluke? No. He did it as a gesture as President to indicate his sympathies. As another gesture, he could perhaps limit his recreational expenditures during a time of economic hardship. That's the point.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
We have known about this one for some time and how much it is costing.

Recently my son was awarded a 5 day vacation in Hawaii for the way he has worked for his employer. Yep, he and his fiancé will be staying there before their honeymoon but they may just call it that. No mind, to that. The company says that the trip will cost in excess of $8,000 so although the employer will pay for part of it he gets to pay income tax on about 30% of the cost and the dealership will pay the rest. He figures it will cost him about $1200 more in taxes and that wouldn't even get Air Force One off the ground for the return trip from the Fiscal Cliff crap.

Isn't it something that the Obamas can take about 4 vacations per year with all the perks, like the mother-in-law attending all of them? When I think about how many family vacations we were able to afford in the 80s and 90s it makes me really feel bad that the Obama girls can go on those luxurious trips and my kids just didn't get to go anywhere.

Congratulations Taxpayer! You Just Paid Over $7 Million for Obama
Does your son require Secret Service protection? Is your son required, for national security reasons, to have a dedicated 747? Do you expect this President to be unlike any other president, and fly coach and take a cab from the airport?

You can bathe all you want in false equivalence and false outrage. The real question SHOULD BE, has the expenses of President Obama's vacations been out of the normal range of other presidents?

The answers are found in these articles:

Bush Spent 5 Times More On Flights To Texas Than Obama
Obama’s Vacations? Of Any President, Bush Racked Up the Most | Politic365
Presidential vacations: How does Obama compare? - CBS News

So, as we see, Obama's vacations are far from the most expensive. One has to ask whether it's because he isn't from the same party as the OP or whether Mr. Obama has some other characteristic that outrages the right-wing, that didn't outrage the right-wing when Bush spent far more on vacations?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
One night, Obama is tossing restlessly in his White House bed. He awakens to see George Washington standing by him. Barak asks him, "George, what's the best thing I can do to help the country?" "Set an honest and honorable example, just as I did," Washington advises, then fades away.

The next night, Obama is astir again, & sees the ghost of Thomas Jefferson moving through the darkened bedroom.Obama calls out, "Tom, please! What is the best thing I could do to help the country?" "Respect the Constitution, like I did," Jefferson advises, and dims from sight.

Barak isn't sleeping well the third night when he sees another figure moving in the shadows. It is Abraham Lincoln's ghost. "Abe, what is the best thing I can do right now, to help the country?" Obama pleads. Abe replies, "Go see a play."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies