Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,739,995 times

Advertisements

Now the prison inmates are walking up to prison guards and reciting the guards' exact home address to them. They got the addresses, from the newspaper's published map of gun owner permits

Good job, Rockland Journal News.

You won't need police protection any time soon, will you, newpapers people? Cops may be too busy guarding their own homes against recently-released criminals, to respond to your calls. I know I would be.

Hope the paper's publishers don't mind.

-------------------------------------------------

Journal News gun permit map endangers officers, officials say

Journal News gun permit map endangers officers, officials say

Originally published: January 4, 2013 3:40 PM
Updated: January 4, 2013 4:01 PM

By SARAH ARMAGHAN sarah.armaghan@cablevision.com

Criticism of The Journal News, which published a gun permit database last month, broadened Friday with Rockland law enforcement officials saying the map listing the names and addresses of those with gun permits is endangering lives.

Inmates at the Rockland County jail are taunting corrections officers by saying they know the guards' home addresses -- information they got from the list published by Westchester-based newspaper, Rockland County Sheriff Louis Falco said.

"Since about 9:30 this morning, I've been in a meeting with my corrections officers and their unions. They have inmates coming up to them and telling them exactly where they live. That's not acceptable to me," Falco said at a news conference Friday morning in New City, where local leaders condemned the list.

Falco, along with other supporting police chiefs and county legislators, wants the paper to remove the information from its website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 PM

From the linked article:

"When I saw the list, I had an immediate flood of emotions that I cannot even describe to you," said (Orangetown resident Charlotte) Swift. "I originally obtained a gun permit because I had previously been married to a man who attempted to strangle me . . . The first emotion I felt was, 'Oh my gosh, he can find me.'"

Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,329,833 times
The gun owners whose addresses were published should sue the Journal for relocation expenses. Then, the Journal should report that the previously listed gun owners have all moved and no longer reside at the published addresses.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,118,875 times
But it's more important for the anti-gun advocates to get their message across.
"Whatever it takes" is the mantra of the left, ethics be damned.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
The gun owners whose addresses were published should sue the Journal for relocation expenses. Then, the Journal should report that the previously listed gun owners have all moved and no longer reside at the published addresses.
And then comes their followup lawsuits for pain and suffering. The awards can dwarf the payments for relocations... and should.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,607,248 times
I still think it is kind of sick this was done.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I still think it is kind of sick this was done.
I agree...... It speaks volumes about this papers credibility as a "News Organization". If I worked there, I would quit.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:41 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,730,347 times
Its ok. You know where I live AND that I'm armed. Sure, come on, pay me a visit.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,137,772 times
I certainly don't think publishing the names of these gun owners was responsible, but it will apparently provide a great test of the effectiveness as guns as self-defense mechanisms. Good thing all these folks are armed, huh? What's everyone's best guesses for how many of these gun owners will successfully defend themselves against these ex-cons and other criminals?

Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,903,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I certainly don't think publishing the names of these gun owners was responsible, but it will apparently provide a great test of the effectiveness as guns as self-defense mechanisms. Good thing all these folks are armed, huh? What's everyone's best guesses for how many of these gun owners will successfully defend themselves against these ex-cons and other criminals?
My best guess is that the cons are all mouth and are not stupid enough to go to a house they KNOW is armed.. Even most criminals aren't that stupid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies