Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 AM

24,354 posts, read 22,914,491 times

Advertisements

A self defense firearm is like a fire extinguisher. You have it in case you need it but you never want to have to use it. But if you do need to use it, you're thankful you have it.

I'd have emptied the revolver into the guy as well. Anyone who breaks into your home has to automatically be assumed to be trying to harm you and any means necessary to stop that threat can and should be taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,190,466 times
I feel cheated.....My 38 only holds five rounds, but that's OK, I have one for each hand...

Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,011,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Did the man threaten her and with what weapon? I read nothing about him not backing off when he saw the gun. Why would she shoot him 5 times though?
Who cares how many times she shot him. He wont be doing this again is all that matters now.

I say shoot them until you know they arent going to be a threat. She was most likely frightened, despite having the gun. Having to experience a stranger in your house who may mean to harm you must be scary as well, especially for a woman.

You anti-gun folks are not going to win this battle.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,190,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Um, when you're a burglar you go around opening closets and checking in drawers for valuables. This is typically how you find stuff you want. It is highly unlikely he was searching for people to kill when he opened that closet door. Reports don't even indicate that he had a gun or knife. Was he going to crowbar any occupants to death when any one of them could easily have a much more deadlier or bigger weapon?

Anyone who is worried about intruders or having their home broken into should simply invest in better locks, larger strike plates, surveillance cameras, shatter resistant film on windows, alarms, or just a simple sticker you can put on your window that says, "alarm" on it. If someone breaks into your house while you're at work your alarm can even notify you through your phone. These are all affordable options. Leaving your home unprotected and then purchasing a gun is stupid. You can purchase a gun if you want, but the idea is to keep burglars out of your home, not fight them once they get in because you didn't lock the door.
You can put all of that stuff on your house and even I could still be in it in two minuets..

Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,011,316 times
I look at it like the movies. You know your watching one of those flicks where the bad guy gets knocked down or out, shot or stabbed once. And the good guy/gal just stops and doesnt make certain he is dead. And I sit there thinking "hit him/shoot him again!!! Make sure he is dead!!!"

In real life, you dont take those chances. This man knew she was home. He most likely meant to do her harm. Now, thankfully, he will never have a chance to do it again.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,735,383 times
Quote:
Um, when you're a burglar you go around opening closets and checking in drawers for valuables. This is typically how you find stuff you want. It is highly unlikely he was searching for people to kill when he opened that closet door. Reports don't even indicate that he had a gun or knife. Was he going to crowbar any occupants to death when any one of them could easily have a much more deadlier or bigger weapon?

Anyone who is worried about intruders or having their home broken into should simply invest in better locks, larger strike plates, surveillance cameras, shatter resistant film on windows, alarms, or just a simple sticker you can put on your window that says, "alarm" on it. If someone breaks into your house while you're at work your alarm can even notify you through your phone. These are all affordable options. Leaving your home unprotected and then purchasing a gun is stupid. You can purchase a gun if you want, but the idea is to keep burglars out of your home, not fight them once they get in because you didn't lock the door.
I think this wins for the most uninformed post.

Seriously, better locks?

If someone is intent on breaking in, I don't care what kind of locks you have. They'll break a window instead.

For the price of the things you are suggesting, getting a gun is more economical. Besides, most people have a lot of those things anyway. The gun is the last resort.

Breaking in to someone's home is violent in and of itself. It's the one place you are always supposed to feel safety and comfort. Sorry but you want what I have? Get a job and go get it. Do not however think you're going to come in here and threaten my and my family's security to take what is ours without a fight. That includes our right to feel safe in our home. You're not taking that either.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,801,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I think this wins for the most uninformed post.

Seriously, better locks?

If someone is intent on breaking in, I don't care what kind of locks you have. They'll break a window instead.

My Dad always says "Locks are to keep honest people out."

Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,735,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My Dad always says "Locks are to keep honest people out."
Your Dad is right

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,099,601 times
Quote:
Anyone who is worried about intruders or having their home broken into should simply invest in better locks, larger strike plates, surveillance cameras, shatter resistant film on windows, alarms, or just a simple sticker you can put on your window that says, "alarm" on it..
Alarm/surveillance/etc and gun?
Not. Mutually. Exclusive.
Btw, I know people with full-on video cameras everywhere, alarm with monitoring, and BIG DOGS that have gotten broken into. In fancy shmancy neighborhoods.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,613,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are we reading something different because I read nothing about a crowbar in the link. In fact, I am asking what weapon he used for him to be shot so many times
Good God!

His own self was weapon enough.

You shoot 'tii you're empty.

Good Shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Because this is a hard lesson to be learned for criminals, if you enter my castle with intent to rob or harm me, you will die for your troubles. They are risking their life when they enter a home protected with a firearm. This will never change I assure you. Would you rather she be killed while waiting for the police? Or sniveling in the corner of her bedroom trying to dial 911? I would have done /will do the same thing and I doubt she derived some pleasure from it, she probably feels a great deal of remorse having to kill someone, you don't know us gun owners as well as you think you do, we do have feelings. Wow, I can't believe some peoples train of thought.
Ditto!

Some days you just plain can't fix stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies