Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times

Advertisements

My only question is why she didn't use the 12 gauge propped in the corner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Did the man threaten her and with what weapon? I read nothing about him not backing off when he saw the gun. Why would she shoot him 5 times though?
Do you subscribe to the notion that it is OK for people to invade other people's home?

Why would she shoot him 5 times? Because in most cases, except in Hollywood, it usually take multiple shots to stop someone from attacking you. Even more shots are needed if the person is high on drug or drunk - read 10-30 shots.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My only question is why she didn't use the 12 gauge propped in the corner?
An AR15 would be much much better than a 12 ga. Lighter, easier to control, less penetration, more shots available, ...

Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
That depends on your state

If you shoot them in the back you go to prison in many states.

If they are running away you go to prison.

Generally you can shoot to protect life and not property. Depends on the state.

But go ahead and go to prison if you wish. Shrug..
In the great state of Texas, you can shoot them in the back, or anywhere else... If they are in your house, or on your property and you are in fear of your life, you can drop them like a rock.. If they are fleeing with your property you are also free to shoot them... On the street, if you are afraid for your life, you are within your rights to use deadly force. That's why I live here.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
An AR15 would be much much better than a 12 ga. Lighter, easier to control, less penetration, more shots available, ...
True, but if she's a new shooter, the 12 gauge allows a little more room for error.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,026 times
Default "Um" tells me right away it's a stupid post

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Um, when you're a burglar you go around opening closets and checking in drawers for valuables. This is typically how you find stuff you want. It is highly unlikely he was searching for people to kill when he opened that closet door. Reports don't even indicate that he had a gun or knife. Was he going to crowbar any occupants to death when any one of them could easily have a much more deadlier or bigger weapon?

Anyone who is worried about intruders or having their home broken into should simply invest in better locks, larger strike plates, surveillance cameras, shatter resistant film on windows, alarms, or just a simple sticker you can put on your window that says, "alarm" on it. If someone breaks into your house while you're at work your alarm can even notify you through your phone. These are all affordable options. Leaving your home unprotected and then purchasing a gun is stupid. You can purchase a gun if you want, but the idea is to keep burglars out of your home, not fight them once they get in because you didn't lock the door.
'Um"... does starting a sentence with these idiotic two letters suppose to be a calling card for an "intellectual"...To me it's a hint of a 10 year old's trying to act grown up. Or an egotistical empty shirt.

Maybe you can help me out here...Is this how you learned to write in school....starting a sentence with "Um"....It's not a word, and right away people lose respect for those that use it.

So, tell me....What are you trying to say with "Um"?

As for your post...it makes no sense relevant to the facts. The guy invaded a home, with a woman and child in it, and he looked for them....So, the woman ended the stalking.

Do you have any facts on what he was looking for in the house?....A hidden treasure?

A real robber looks to take something of value and get out.

As far as putting better locks on the house....The guy had a crowbar!!!

So, in your brilliant mind, we should lock ourselves in steel door fortresses just to protect the rights of law breakers.

Fantastic!!...What a brilliant concept of life!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
She warned him? What kind of a hero is that? Don't you gun lovers shoot first and ask questions later?

What a disappointment.
In the case of home invasion, you are supposed to shoot first.

You need to read articles from Massad Ayoob on this very topic. There are both legal and tactical considerations.

Legally, when someone invades your home, it satisfies the legal requirement for self-defense - you are facing imminent death or gravely bodily harm, and it justifies the use of deadly force. When you give warning or warning shot, it can be construed later in court that the threat is not imminent because you had time for warning.

Tactically, why would you give warnings to the guy who wants to cause you death or gravely bodily harm? Maybe he has a gun and will shot you first.

However, I am not a lawyer and I am just a forum junky. Read "In the Gravest Extreme", a great book on self-defense.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
True, but if she's a new shooter, the 12 gauge allows a little more room for error.
That has be proved wrong many many times. Try it yourself and you will see.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
In the great state of Texas, you can shoot them in the back, or anywhere else... If they are in your house, or on your property and you are in fear of your life, you can drop them like a rock.. If they are fleeing with your property you are also free to shoot them... On the street, if you are afraid for your life, you are within your rights to use deadly force. That's why I live here.
A little clarification but I am not a lawyer.

Texas is one of the states that don't think criminals need protection.

When someone invades your house or car, it immediately satisfies the requirement for self-defense, which is you are facing imminent death or bodily harm. This justifies use of deadly force to stop the intruder without warning.

On the street, you can't shoot someone just because he looks at you in a wrong way. You still need to meet the requirement for self-defense, which is you reasonably believe that you are facing imminent death or gravely bodily harm. The keyword is "reasonably believe" which is a long established legal doctrine in both UK and US. On the street of Texas, you do not need to retreat or run away - I would but legally we aren't required to do so.

Warning is never required in self-defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies