U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,659,438 times

Advertisements

Sandy Hook School Shooting: First Responders Must be Prepared for the Rollercoaster of Emotions |

"Unfortunately, these senseless and tragic shootings will continue to happen around the country. One of the aspects that doesn’t often get discussed (certainly not in the mainstream media, anyway), is the impact these violent incidents have on law enforcement and first responders. Those whose jobs it is to respond to these mass shootings witness scenes that no person should have to see. The healing process from such tragedy can be a challenging process with short- and long-term effects."

With all the arguing of gun bans, mental health, et al, how about the men and women who had to put their own emotions aside, and deal with this issues first hand? Many of these people are going to suffer for the rest of their lives. Not only them, but the fallout to their families are going to be huge also.

Everyone wants to have money for this, for that, etc, how about we support these men and women, the police officers, firefighters, paramedics, EMT's, the teachers, etc with the proper support systems they need? And no, there isn't anything in place. How do you prepare for such an event? Emotionally or otherwise? You can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 02:11 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,139,114 times
First responders see so much that such is another day for them although of course this tragedy is one of the more extreme situations. Example, highway crashes often dismember the body, drownings, hangings, etc. Our schools have been at risk for some time as various events have occured over the last 10 years. However, mass shootings at schools are very rare and the percentage of deaths is extremely low. That is why it has been so very difficult to get teachers, building inspectors, and locals interested in security. A true problem almost never happens.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM

45,905 posts, read 34,085,556 times
My husband was a former volunteer EMT in NJ. My sense is that in time, most become more desentitized to what they see and work with than the average Joe who will not likely ever see victims of fires, horrific car accidents, murders, suicides and more.

I am not in any way attempting to diminish the impact of what happened in that school. Rather, it's a testimony to the people who serve their communities.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My husband was a former volunteer EMT in NJ. My sense is that in time, most become more desentitized to what they see and work with than the average Joe who will not likely ever see victims of fires, horrific car accidents, murders, suicides and more.

I am not in any way attempting to diminish the impact of what happened in that school. Rather, it's a testimony to the people who serve their communities.
As a first responder, I completely disagree. The fact is, you and others don't really see the problems which occur. You don't see the massive amounts of alcoholism, drug abuse, and domestic violence which occurs within first responders. Including and mostly with police officers.

The amount of domestic violence and alcoholism within police ranks is astonishing. Something the general public do not see and/or understand. Divorce rates are also astonishingly high. I work with several people who have been divorced 5+ times.

I've been a police officer for 24 yrs and yes, I am desensitized and very jaded to most things. However, that is a by product of the job. And, because of this, I have problems and issues most don't see.

The men and women who respond to these disasters ARE NOT supermen/women. They are ordinary people, put into an extraordinary situation. And because of this, no matter how much training and experience they have, it effects them.

Police Officers Have Higher Rates Of Alcoholism | Law Enforcement Today

Law Enforcement Alcoholics Anonymous

Domestic Violence in Police Families

Impact of police domestic violence: Police officer involved domestic violence | Abuse of power | Diane Wetendorf

Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM

21,557 posts, read 11,619,499 times
I heard that the coroner who had 9 of the children had something of a nervous breakdown. Every child was shot through the chest and once in the head.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,077,598 times
I was 30 miles away, and it was rumored via good sources many volunteer responders quit immediately after Sandy Hook.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 PM

30,473 posts, read 20,119,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Sandy Hook School Shooting: First Responders Must be Prepared for the Rollercoaster of Emotions |

"Unfortunately, these senseless and tragic shootings will continue to happen around the country. One of the aspects that doesn’t often get discussed (certainly not in the mainstream media, anyway), is the impact these violent incidents have on law enforcement and first responders. Those whose jobs it is to respond to these mass shootings witness scenes that no person should have to see. The healing process from such tragedy can be a challenging process with short- and long-term effects."

With all the arguing of gun bans, mental health, et al, how about the men and women who had to put their own emotions aside, and deal with this issues first hand? Many of these people are going to suffer for the rest of their lives. Not only them, but the fallout to their families are going to be huge also.

Everyone wants to have money for this, for that, etc, how about we support these men and women, the police officers, firefighters, paramedics, EMT's, the teachers, etc with the proper support systems they need? And no, there isn't anything in place. How do you prepare for such an event? Emotionally or otherwise? You can't.

The first responders should have been armed teachers followed by the local coroner who would ideally need just one body bag.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,077,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The first responders should have been armed teachers followed by the local coroner who would ideally need just one body bag.
The killer would have simply killed them, too, plus the kids. He came in wanting to kill, an armed teacher is there to teach first, not there holding a gun pointed at the door 24/7. The shooter gets the first shots, and given his weapons, it would have been many rounds per second.

Armed teachers or guards only work when the killer wants to LIVE, and when security is their ONLY job. Just like 9/11, his desire to die would make arming anyone a moot point in stopping him. Unless you advocate shooting first anyone on school grounds every day of every year at every school.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM

30,473 posts, read 20,119,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The killer would have simply killed them, too, plus the kids. He came in wanting to kill, an armed teacher is there to teach first, not there holding a gun pointed at the door 24/7. The shooter gets the first shots, and given his weapons, it would have been many rounds per second.

Armed teachers or guards only work when the killer wants to LIVE, and when security is their ONLY job. Just like 9/11, his desire to die would make arming anyone a moot point in stopping him. Unless you advocate shooting first anyone on school grounds every day of every year at every school.
What difference does it make if the killer wants to live or die?

In either case the solution to the problem is to shoot him, pass out some wet naps to the kids in the first couple rows and go on with the lesson.

At the very least he'll be so busy fending off armed teachers that he won't be able to go after kids.

Whether he gets dropped or tied up with armed teachers, he's not shooting kids.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I heard that the coroner who had 9 of the children had something of a nervous breakdown. Every child was shot through the chest and once in the head.
True or not, this is point of my thread. People are who responded to this hell hole are being effected by this. They are getting drunk, using drugs, beating their wives/husbands, and falling apart. Its NOT their fault. WE as a society are asking these people to take care of the trash, WE do not want to know about and/or deal with.

How do WE cope? Do the people of this country understand the amount of money being spent to keep these men/women "sane?" Do they understand if they "front loaded" the issue, it would seriously reduce the problems?

Very few people, including the people in my profession want to address the issue and or deal with it. Just look at the responses to this thread. Damn, a gun was used!!! DO SOMETHING. A drunk cop, firefighter, EMT, et al did "X" and, LOCK HIM UP. I don't care why. I hold him to a higher standard!!! Damn worthless cop.

How about we as a society look after these people are thrust into this hell hole. Military veteran's too. In stead of just saying, "They knew what they were getting into." Until we handle this as a society, its only going to get worse.

The fallout in this shooting and its community is going to be around for DECADES. And all people care about is banning guns; as if this will solve the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies