Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraa View Post
Hagel a rino? outside defense and some foreign policy views, hagel was one of the most conservative members of the senate.
It's always dangerous to nominate a Repub for, well, anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
In a sense, you're right. But after the last administration, i don't see how anyone could still believe that. I think he's being nominated more based on the fact that he's a decorated vet than his party affiliation.

I personally like the fact that Democrats have figured out a way to give a Republican Congress fits on defense issues. Put in an unimpeachable decorated Republican veteran. Especially since Republicans don't think that liberal veterans are as steeped in defense issues as liberal ones. Our service is somehow always in question with them too.
Nice!

It's not borderline. And going after black folks with terms even more incendiary than "black lobby" isn't unheard of. In fact, Republicans blame the Black Caucus (by name) for everything from bad weather to the national debt.
I think too that he and the president have a strong relationship and have had since the 2008 campaign. Clearly the president trusts him and values his opinions on foreign affairs.

And there's this:

"Like his hero, Eisenhower, who slashed defense spending because, according to his Treasury secretary, he “feared deficits almost more than he feared the communists,” Hagel believes the defense budget must “be pared down,” because he refuses to divorce the conversation about military spending from the conversation about fiscal solvency. Unlike the Republican foreign-policy elite who for eight years cheered as the Bush administration charged its expansive “war on terror” to the nation’s credit card, Hagel does not view substantial cuts to the Bush-era defense budget as a retreat from American global power."

Why Hagel Matters - The Daily Beast

Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That's right. This anti-semetic slur is just a ruse.

The reason the don't like Hagel is because he has shown independent thinking on Israel. He didn't show 100% loyalty to right wing Israeli's.
Hagel has always shown independent thinking--on nearly everything. He says what needs to be said, and does what needs to be done. Party-line types HATE him. I am not a big Obama fan, but this nomination is brilliant.

The first enlisted man to make Sec-Defense....wow.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraa View Post
Hagel a rino? outside defense and some foreign policy views, hagel was one of the most conservative members of the senate.
He once said hello and smiled at a Democrat. For Republicans, that makes you a RINO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I think too that he and the president have a strong relationship and have had since the 2008 campaign. Clearly the president trusts him and values his opinions on foreign affairs.

And there's this:

"Like his hero, Eisenhower, who slashed defense spending because, according to his Treasury secretary, he “feared deficits almost more than he feared the communists,” Hagel believes the defense budget must “be pared down,” because he refuses to divorce the conversation about military spending from the conversation about fiscal solvency. Unlike the Republican foreign-policy elite who for eight years cheered as the Bush administration charged its expansive “war on terror” to the nation’s credit card, Hagel does not view substantial cuts to the Bush-era defense budget as a retreat from American global power."

Eisenhower is a curse word to modern day Republicans. Even here on C-D i read where some Republicans were saying that Ike shouldn't be seen as a great president OR a great Republican.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hagel has always shown independent thinking--on nearly everything. He says what needs to be said, and does what needs to be done. Party-line types HATE him. I am not a big Obama fan, but this nomination is brilliant.

Wow...that's right!! I didn't realize that til you posted it.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He once said hello and smiled at a Democrat. For Republicans, that makes you a RINO......
As a senator, Hagel was one of those few principled conservatives who voted AGAINST Medicare Part D, the unfunded gigantic expansion of the welfare state launched by President George W. Bush.

Now, a lot of the same politicians who embarassed themselves terribly back in the 2000's with votes like that are questioning Hagel's credibility?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Interesting. First Obama kept Gates as secretary of defense and now Hagel. What about the folks from the left who helped Obama get reelected and to whom he is somehow obligated?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

I didn't realize he would be the first enlisted man, should be interesting having a sergeant meeting with generals.

Linsey Graham doesn't soundlike he is ready to agree.

"Chuck Hagel, if confirmed to be the secretary of defense, would be the most antagonistic secretary of defense toward the state of Israel in our nation's history," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union." "Not only has he said you should directly negotiate with Iran, sanctions won't work, that Israel should directly negotiate with the Hamas organization - a terrorist group that lobs thousands of rockets into Israel - he also was one of 12 senators who refused to sign a letter to the European Union that Hezbollah should be designated as a terrorist organization."

Early signs point to rocky road for Hagel confirmation as defense secretary - CBS News

Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Interesting. First Obama kept Gates as secretary of defense and now Hagel. What about the folks from the left who helped Obama get reelected and to whom he is somehow obligated?
What about us? I don't feel betrayed. I just want a competent SecDef.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

And there's this:

If Hagel really feared deficits he wouldn't have endorsed Obama twice.
Ike did cut defenses,while the Soviets grew stronger. JFk used that as a weapon against Nixon in the 1960 election.
BTW,Pat Buchanan is all in for Hagel. That should tell us something.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Where's that thread about liberals using accusations of racism when anyone is critical of blacks? Nothing is more tried and true than cons accusing anyone who questions our relationship with Israel of being "anti-Semites."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies