Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Depends on the woman. And you know what i mean.
That's the thing, all we know about this woman is...

*She is a woman residing at Hornet Drive, Brunswick GA
*She left her valuables in a car
*The valuables (purse and wallet) are estimated to be 600 dollars, along with 800 dollars of cash, and food stamp cards.

*The valuables were stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Depending who the person is, you can most DEFINITELY assume a lot from the bundle of cash. Me personally, i wouldn't make those assumptions, but many people will.

These people live in middle class conditions, so sure, no one will assume a lot. But if that address would've been in a different and more hardscrabble location, folks would have no problems making assumptions based on that wad of cash. Same for the wallet and purse. Folks would be writing whole life stories about the person based on that wallet and purse if that address were somewhere different.

That said, i agree with your overall point. I keep telling people that they have no idea who is on government assistance, and basing it on appearance and preconceived notions is stupid.

Not that people on government assistance is a particular obsession of mine. I really don't care in the grand scheme.
People scamming government assistance program is a drop in the bucket of problems facing our society.

Is it bad, sure, but so is cat is cat juggling and rooster fighting, but not something I'm going to spend energy or time on. Bigger fish to fry.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:19 AM

147 posts, read 118,940 times
I'll bet her car was a Hummer or a Caddy.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Kickinit View Post
I'll bet her car was a Hummer or a Caddy.
How much did you want to bet again?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
In a $400 purse and $200 wallet?
The usual dodges, diversions, and insults from the usual liberal fanatics.

But Trlhiker got it.

A woman so poor that she needs food stamps, can spend $600 on a purse and wallet?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

But Trlhiker got it.

A woman so poor that she needs food stamps, can spend $600 on a purse and wallet?
I KNEW IT!

IT WOULDN'T BE LONG BEFORE SOMEONE MADE THIS ASSUMPTION!

Who says the woman even purchased the purse and wallet?
Who says the woman couldn't have bought the purse and wallet when she was wealthier?
Who says the purse and wallet could be sold for 600 dollars today?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Brunswick, GA demographics:
Meaningless. Post up something that's actually indicative of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
People scamming government assistance program is a drop in the bucket of problems facing our society.

Is it bad, sure, but so is cat is cat juggling and rooster fighting, but not something I'm going to spend energy or time on. Bigger fish to fry.
Exactly how i feel. So someone on welfare has an expensive wallet and purse. (shrugs shoulders)

That's the worse thing that ever happened in the world?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
It does show you about the state of economic times, when even the middle class could be suffering a job loss, and be dependent on welfare at any given time.

With that said, what are you suggesting?

Let's say she bought the purse and wallet 5 years ago during better times. If you could spend $600 on a purse and wallet, couldn't you put some money away so that you don't have to take someone else's hard in money when times are bad. And btw, I have never, ever known a female who had just one $400 purse and $200 wallet.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Let's say she bought the purse and wallet 5 years ago during better times. If you could spend $600 on a purse and wallet, couldn't you put some money away so that you don't have to take someone else's hard in money when times are bad. And btw, I have never, ever known a female who had just one $400 purse and $200 wallet.
You probably could save it, but the thing is many Americans aren't financially educated enough or aren't disciplined enough to make such decisions. If it weren't for governments assistance, they'd be out on the streets.

That's a lot of Americans.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

But Trlhiker got it.

BTW, zillow.com shows recent house prices on Hornet Drive in Brunswick, GA ranging from $28,000 to $110,000, with more of them in the low range than the high range.

Here in San Diego, my sister-in-law is currently looking to buy a place. Single-family houses currently start at $200K, and she was thrilled to find a studio (i.e. one-room-only) condo, 410 sq. ft., for "only" $120K, listed as a fixer-upper. But it was snapped up before she could get in to look at it. Real estate prices in the People's Republic of California are always crazy.

But Hornet Drive isn't a wealthy district by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies