Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
This is surely the most ignorant comment in this thread.

You never fire warning shots. Want to know why? Because you are responsible for that bullet no matter where it goes. If it ricochets off something and goes through a window next door, guess what, now you are in trouble.

If you are going to comment on something, at least try to have an informed opinion first.

I have to agree with this. Warning shots might work in the movies, but not necessarily in real life. If the perpetrator is actually armed, once you've fired a warning shot, you've a) let him/her know where you are, and b) possibly shocked them into pulling their own trigger.

Actually, I think the sound of loading a 12-gauge shotgun is supposed to be a real fright for home invaders. I'd do this first, if the situation warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
What is the protocol for making sure it is an intruder and not a loved one?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Many people who are in favor of gun control own guns. Most of the people I know also agree that if there is another way to resolve a situation, taking a life should be avoided at all costs.

I'm sure you read about the woman in Georgia who shot a man 5 times after he broke into her home using a crowbar. It happened earlier this month.

UPDATE: Loganville Mother Shoots Burglar Several Times - Loganville-Grayson, GA Patch

A man broke into her home and she had every right to protect herself and her children.

By the way, I am a crime victim. I don't need to listen to a 911 tape to know that fear.
I am sorry that you had to go through that, no one should have to and I hope you have received whatever help you needed to move through it.

As for the article, all that did was solidify what I posted: I'll bet that woman is glad she had that gun when the intruder broke in.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You ask the home invader, "Is that you honey?" before you shoot them.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You ask the home invader, "Is that you honey?" before you shoot them.

Mine is making sure that my loved ones understand that sneaking into the house may result in getting shot in the dark. I tell them if returning late, to come in loudly and turn on lights in the room they're entering. I once had a roommate who didn't take such advice. I damn near blew his head off. (yes, it was in *my* house)

Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
AS to the necessity of having a firearm, even a semi-automatic rifle with a large magazine, that has scary features, one need only ask a victim what they wished they had at the time of their assault. We can't ask those victims who died as the result, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt that they wished they had been capable of self defense.

That's what the "right to bear arms" is all about - defending one's "right to life" by any and all means at one's disposal.

In short, the gun-ban-ditos aren't interested in YOUR "right to life".
The gun-ban-ditos want disarmament that only benefits the predators, who may or may not be armed, when they attack the weak, and the helpless.

What kind of SICK PEOPLE are they? Do they truly believe that "the police" can protect the unarmed and helpless? You can't sue the government for failure to protect. Self defense is a personal responsibility.

What may be the REAL motive is that when the SHTF, the predators in and out of government don't want to be caught in the crossfire. Uh - I didn't really write that. Move along. Nothing to see here. Go home. Watch TV. Drink a beer.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Shooting someone to keep them from stealing property is wrong. There is no trinket or bauble that is worth killing someone over.

If a burglar is a valid threat to your safety, shooting them would be justified. Shooting someone because they tried to steal your big screen TV is immoral and repugnant behavior.

so/ your going to give this burglar a pop quiz on his intentions after he robs you?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I 'll agree it seems as though they were trying to see if anyone was at home by the ringing of the bell. My question is so you feel there was an obligation on the part of the homeowner to let them know there was someone inside, either by answering the door or by calling out once he was aware that a break-in was in progress?
I wish I had the answer. No, I do not think it is an "obligation" but I feel there was a very good chance they would have run away. As I wrote before, after calling 911, the police showed up in a timely manner and caught the other 2 boys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And as for characterizing them as "hardened criminals", it would seem that they were on the path to that and at what point do they fit your definition of such? Is it a matter of degree?
Many people walk down that path at a young age. It doesn't mean they won't change. Believe me, I am not a bleeding heart and believe criminals need to be punished. There was nothing I saw in any newspaper article or TV news report that indicated the 3 boys were in a gang or had a criminal record. Again, I never said they were innocent and should have been sent home with a slap on the wrist. To me, a drunk driver is more dangerous than a teenager breaking into a house, but nobody would support shooting one because it's one of the more acceptable bad behaviors.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wish I had the answer. No, I do not think it is an "obligation" but I feel there was a very good chance they would have run away. As I wrote before, after calling 911, the police showed up in a timely manner and caught the other 2 boys. Many people walk down that path at a young age. It doesn't mean they won't change. Believe me, I am not a bleeding heart and believe criminals need to be punished. There was nothing I saw in any newspaper article or TV news report that indicated the 3 boys were in a gang or had a criminal record. Again, I never said they were innocent and should have been sent home with a slap on the wrist. To me, a drunk driver is more dangerous than a teenager breaking into a house, but nobody would support shooting one because it's one of the more acceptable bad behaviors.

If I see another driver texting on their cell phone and passing me at 80MPH............I am seriously considering carrying my pistol for self defense...........because they are defineately trying to kill me........

Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with defending your home against someone who has broken in or forced entry into your home, period. If you choose to break into someone's home you should automatically assume that you're taking your life into your own hands. In my opinion you've already proven to me that you view your life as less valuable than the items in my home and if you don't value your own life I'm certainly not going to value it either. I would hate to have to kill someone in my home in order to protect my family but I will without a second thought, I'll deal with the grief later while I enjoy another meal with all of my family members still alive.

If you personally want to sit down, make some coffee and have a little heart to heart about what their true intentions might have been that's your choice and I fully support that choice as long as my family members aren't in your house at the time.

Those of you who throw out all of these insane statements about using tasers, baseball bats, hiding and calling 911, hoping they don't find you, etc etc etc have clearly never been through a home invasion. While some burglars have no violent intentions, people do pretty crazy things when cornered and their freedom becomes at risk.
Who ever said it was wrong to shoot or even kill a burglar? Hypothetically speaking; you break into my home with my family, you deserve to be shot or killed. I'm not going to dismember your body but attempt to put a bullet in your heart, none of that running non-sense. I don't know what a burglars intentions are, they could've saw me walk into the house with a flat-screen TV or MacBook and just want to steal it, or they could be coming to rape my children, or kill everyone in the house. You just don't know, so I'd rather shoot them and ask questions later on.

But I'm only 21, and I don't have a family yet so I don't have to worry about that just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies