Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times

Advertisements

I was watching CNBC last night and they had this guy, presumably Jewish who was against Hagel's nomination. Why? Because he said Hagel once said something about taking an oath to the US Constitution as opposed to the Israeli one and that he said AIPAC is a Jewish organization.

Um what is controversial about these comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
I don't care if it is an Israeli organization or an "Israeli-American alliance".

One thing for certain is that AIPAC has wayyy too much influence on our foreign policy.
Their annual policy conference has the most federal officials in attendance of any organized event besides the President's State of the Union Address. AIPAC is the most powerful lobbysist group in the country.

But he is correct, AIPAC is not a Jewish organization in any way. American Jews are often critical of AIPAC for misrepresentation and holding extreme right-wing views.

Most Jews are not zionist globalists. Plenty of Christians are. Most of our politicians, so it would seem, are.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-08-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,646 times

AIPAC Wahington D.C. March 4, 2012 - PHOTObyTED's Photos | SmugMug

Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't care if it is an Israeli organization or an "Israeli-American alliance".

One thing for certain is that AIPAC has wayyy too much influence on our foreign policy.
Their annual policy conference has the most federal officials in attendance of any organized event besides the President's State of the Union Address. AIPAC is the most powerful lobbysist group in the country.

But he is correct, AIPAC is not a Jewish organization in any way. American Jews are often critical of AIPAC for misrepresentation and holding extreme right-wing views.

Most Jews are not zionist globalists. Plenty of Christians are. Most of our politicians, so it would seem, are.
Of course AIPAC is a Jewish organization. How is it not?

I realize that most Jews aren't ardent Zionists, but that doesn't detract from the reality that AIPAC is made up of Jews.

I do agree with you though that Christians are trying too hard. They look ridiculous acting more Zionists than Jews do. Of all the Jews I know, none go on and on about our need to "stand with Israel." My Christians associations however, make asses of themselves. Sometimes I wonder if American Jews don't laugh their ass off when they hear that crap.

I once read something where right-wing Jews were alarmed when Glenn Beck visited Israel because they'd never heard such fanaticism before. LMAO...what a tool, but that tells you all you need to know about these Christian zealots.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 01-08-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
No. It is likely true that the majority of the members of AIPAC are Jewish, but membership is defined not by religion or ethnicity but by support for a particular conception of the interests of Israel. Jewishness is not a condition of membership.

It's pretty similar to the NAACP (which contains white members, and one of whose founders was white) or NOW (the National Organization for Women).

This is an important point. Not all Jews, either in Israel or the United States, support the positions that AIPAC takes. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of AIPAC claiming that opposition to Israeli government policies is anti-semitism, but if you accept the proposition that AIPAC is simply a Jewish organization you are adding support to that invalid claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies