Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Where I live the Mill Creek tribe murdered, raped, tortured, kidnapped, pillaged and terrorized the settlers in the valley for 15 years.
Are you going to give equal time to the white settlers who hunted down and killed and enslaved the Yahi's? (Mill Creek Indian is the white name.) How about the white settlers who started collecting Yahi scalps? The Yahi's starved because their land was taken after the gold rush. Villages were attacked and Yahis were killed by the whites.

Are you going to celebrate that part of the legacy of Columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypie View Post
This thread keeps getting more and more over the top IMO. Apparently, white, Christian men are oppresed in this country...we shouldn't call the systemic slaughter of Native people genocide because that ignores other underlying issues... and if it in fact was genocide it's ok because everyone else was doing it. Did I miss anything?

I've got to say you all make this CA forum very errr... interesting.
Why make it about race? Those who warred with the native indians were Europeans. Race is irrelevant.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Emboldened by the new Democrat super-majority, our legislature's perpetual war against dead white Christian males (and live ones too) continues unabated with new legislation slamming Columbus' "so-called discovery" and "genocide of Native Americans".

Legislation adds another paid holiday

"If the measure becomes law, it would restore a portion of what lawmakers took away from state workers in 2009 when they thinned the state schedule from 13 paid holidays to the current 11 by axing Columbus Day and Lincoln's Birthday. Eventually, state workers received two floating days off each year that offset the lost holidays. From the Hernández press release announcing the measure:

'This legislation is inspired by the recognition that the so-called discovery of the America's by Columbus eventually led to the genocide of Native Americans. This bill hence provides the proper respect and recognition to our Native American nations.'"
At least they didn't pick the other alternatives:

Michael Jackson day

Nudist Day

Barstow Day

Deficit Day

Pee and Poop on the Beach Day

Hypocrisy Day

Dysfunction Day

Riot Day

Petty Crime Without Punishment Day

Violent Crime Without Punishment Day

A Day Without Water

Government Interference Day

Earthquake Day

Lung Cancer Day

Overpopulation Day

Welfare Day

Dia De hablar Ingles

Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Nope no one today did it. Punishing children for their parents (Ok great, great, great, great grandparents) is wrong, wrong, wrong. Then punishing someone who's parents did not even live here during the times atrocities occurred, is wrong, wrong, wrong. Blatant racism at work. I need not take any responsibility as my family did not do any of it. I am not responsible for what any "race" did and neither is anyone else.

And it does not confer any responsibility on later generations either. It wasn't "our" action, it was someone else's actions. Some may chose to help in someway but that is a personal decision. Burdening a race with such a requirement is abusive.

Some may believe nothing wrong happened (Stupid people), but there is NO responsibility on anyone living for the actions of others long dead.

Learning from our own mistakes and those of others is fine. Burdening the innocent with actions they were not involved in simply perpetuates the effects of the original issue by punishing those who had nothing to do with it and does not make the world better. Racism is racism and burdening a "race" for what others id is racism at its worst. Why do you not want to reward at the same time, a race that also had members who spoke out, opposed and even died trying to stop such actions? Or are only wrong actions to be attributed to, and to be paid for, by the "white" race? All others get a pass?
Excellent post!!!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Emboldened by the new Democrat super-majority, our legislature's perpetual war against dead white Christian males (and live ones too) continues unabated with new legislation slamming Columbus' "so-called discovery" and "genocide of Native Americans".

"If the measure becomes law, it would restore a portion of what lawmakers took away from state workers in 2009 when they thinned the state schedule from 13 paid holidays to the current 11 by axing Columbus Day and Lincoln's Birthday. Eventually, state workers received two floating days off each year that offset the lost holidays. From the Hernández press release announcing the measure:

'This legislation is inspired by the recognition that the so-called discovery of the America's by Columbus eventually led to the genocide of Native Americans. This bill hence provides the proper respect and recognition to our Native American nations.'"
I'm actually ecstatic about this, and I hope it passes. Best news I've seen in awhile, thanks for posting

Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Every clan of illegal aliens had their special way of killing off the legals.
Agreed. Later American Indian groups did that to older groups too before 1492 so it ain't just a "white" thing.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The author simply doesn't know his history. To understand the English and their progeny the Americans attitude toward the Indians, one must know the history of the subjugation of the Irish by the English. Remember that many of the original English settlers had been part of Cromwell's war on the Irish.

Cromwell

The English and hence the Americans considered the Indians to be just another form of bog Irish and not worthy of consideration as fully human.
I'm if Irish family; so some of my ancestors were badly treated by the English. The past is the past and we moved ahead. I hate to say this but: our rep WAS pretty bad and I WON'T let a drunkard and brawler into my house in 2013, even if he's a full on Irishman.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:

Columbus Day was always a stupid holiday IMO. First off, we don't really know if Columbus actually discovered America. There is very good evidence that the Norwegians were here 1000 years before him. Artifacts found as far north as Minnesota are compelling evidence.

There should be a national holiday in honor of the native peoples. I don't know if this is the exact right way to do it but I'm in favor of it.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Columbus Day was always a stupid holiday IMO. First off, we don't really know if Columbus actually discovered America. There is very good evidence that the Norwegians were here 1000 years before him. Artifacts found as far north as Minnesota are compelling evidence.

There should be a national holiday in honor of the native peoples. I don't know if this is the exact right way to do it but I'm in favor of it.
This is my thought. Always thought Columbus Day was kind of contrived. If he hadn't "discovered" America Cabot, Vespucci or de Gama would have. It was going to happen. If Europe hadn't existed eventually East Asians (probably China) would have colonized North America. It was inevitable. There should be a cultural holiday to commemorate Native American history. It makes more sense that Cinco de Mayo or St. Patrick's Day.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM

880 posts, read 1,415,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
At least they didn't pick the other alternatives:

Michael Jackson day

Nudist Day

Barstow Day

Deficit Day

Pee and Poop on the Beach Day

Hypocrisy Day

Dysfunction Day

Riot Day

Petty Crime Without Punishment Day

Violent Crime Without Punishment Day

A Day Without Water

Government Interference Day

Earthquake Day

Lung Cancer Day

Overpopulation Day

Welfare Day

Dia De hablar Ingles

Don't forget press 2 for English day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies