Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should President Obama use all options at his disposal to preserve the full faith and credit of the
Yes, he should do everything in his power to protect our credit. 31 44.29%
No, he should allow the US to default if Congress doesn't raise the debt ceiling. 39 55.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 PM

24,494 posts, read 33,228,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
hmmm
fy2008 deficit 208 billion

fy 2009,2010,11,12,13, and now 2014 deficit all over 1 trillion

obozo has added 7 trillion dollars worth of debt in 4.5 years
Isn't it hilarious how the leftists claim Obama has "cut the deficit/spending?" If so, then why has the national debt gone from $10.7 trillion to almost $17 trillion in only 4.5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Not satisfied with causing America's first ever credit downgrade, Republicans are once again threatening to sabotage our national economy by forcing the United States into a voluntary default on its debts if they don't get their way in making draconian cuts to popular social programs like Social Security and Medicare.

The debt ceiling was raised 18 times under Reagan and 7 times under Bush. It has never been a political issue. Everyone understands that playing with America's credit is a dangerous gambit that leaves no winners... but apparently not today's Tea Party run Congress. The money needed from the ceiling raise is to service debt already incurred by Congress. By refusing to raise the ceiling, Congress is basically saying they will not pay the bills they already racked up. That's like going on a shopping spree with your credit card then simply refusing to pay the bill when it comes. Just as that would have disastrous consequences for your personal credit, so would not raising the debt ceiling have disastrous consequences on the credit rating of the United States of America.

That is why I support the President in using whatever options available to him under the Constitution to preserve the full faith and credit of the United States of America. This includes employing the 14th Amendment and ignore the ceiling or minting the Platinum coin. America MUST repay her debts. The fact that this is even a debate shows just how crazy today's Republicans are. What part of conservative principles include not paying your debts?
Silly little sheep.... lol, you obviously still believe that Obama and the Dems want to avoid a default. You'd be wrong. They welcome it, they are soaking up every minute of it. This will be the ammunition they need to oust republicans and regain control of the House in 2014. Obama and his minions are playing the GOP like a fiddle, and the GOP seems more than happy to oblige.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 PM

952 posts, read 516,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Silly little sheep.... lol, you obviously still believe that Obama and the Dems want to avoid a default. You'd be wrong. They welcome it, they are soaking up every minute of it. This will be the ammunition they need to oust republicans and regain control of the House in 2014. Obama and his minions are playing the GOP like a fiddle, and the GOP seems more than happy to oblige.
OOOOHHH, how I would like to be more optimistic than you are about this, but, alas, I can't be. My gut tells me you are hitting the nail on the head...............................how sad.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livejack View Post
OOOOHHH, how I would like to be more optimistic than you are about this, but, alas, I can't be. My gut tells me you are hitting the nail on the head...............................how sad.

It's all just a game to them, a power struggle, the American People be damned. Collateral damage in the game of the elites.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,210,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Isn't it hilarious how the leftists claim Obama has "cut the deficit/spending?" If so, then why has the national debt gone from $10.7 trillion to almost $17 trillion in only 4.5 years?
Never made the claim, Obama increased the deficit, more so than Bush ever did.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 AM

952 posts, read 516,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's all just a game to them, a power struggle, the American People be damned. Collateral damage in the game of the elites.
Gotta be a better way.

How in the #$(* did we get here?

What did you or I do, other than get up, go to work, and take the best care of our families that we could? Shop for bargains, make choices between gas and other necessities to stay within a budget and pay our bills on time???

This government, from bottom (House) to top (Obama) has completely ignored the promises they made to bring about a recovery to play partisan, foot stomping, breath holding childish games with no regard to why they were really elected.

I would like to call game over, nuf fun, but no one in DC is listening.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 PM

24,494 posts, read 33,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Never made the claim, Obama increased the deficit, more so than Bush ever did.
My post was directed to those who claim the deficit is less under Obama than it was under Bush.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:28 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Answer: The worst recession since the Great Depression. Remember, the 2009 deficit was projected at $1.3 trillion before Obama said, "I solemnly swear." If you want a real explanation, read this:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...eral-spending/
and this:
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...d-the-zombies/

Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM

229 posts, read 163,414 times
If we kept 17% of government closed and did not raise our credit ceiling, we would pay off the debt in 200 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies