Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs is known as conservative.

I lived in neighboring Manitou Springs, which is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
I don't know about being conservative or about being a big city, but every county in Oklahoma voted for the Republican presidential candidate in both 2008 and 2012, including the cities of Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Most of the counties had margins of more than 20 points in Romney's favor despite being urbanized. You might want to look into those two cities.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition of conservative is. For example, Cincinnati has always been labeled a "conservative" city. ... the urban core of Cincinnati is actually heavily democratic and even the mayor is a democrat.
Remember, Jerry Springer was mayor of Cincinnati before he became, well, Jerry Springer.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Remember, Jerry Springer was mayor of Cincinnati before he became, well, Jerry Springer.
I guess all of that then would make him a trailer park republican

Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,106 times
I would agree that Colorado Springs is very conservative. Too much so. Everybody in Colorado Springs (at least in the areas I have frequented) seem to be too occupied with morals, their money and everybody else's business and how they can turn that into how that impacts their nuclear family that I'm surprised heart attacks aren't the number 1 leading cause of death around there. Job sites and management are too serious, too. The town needs a large dose of lighten up, Francis.

Spending most of my life in San Diego, I would say that SD has, over the past 10-15 yrs, moved beyond conservatism in a lot of respects. I would say it's socially more liberal than it was 20-30 yrs ago, to the point of embracement. Cost of living aside, I feel that the conservatism is mostly displayed in terms of the fiscal, which I think is probably people trying to hold on to whatever they have left after paying for the car, house, materialism they can't afford to begin with.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,327 times
I would consider a conservative city to be a fiscally sound city, more so than socially conservative.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
America is way to preoccupied with liberal, conservative, right this, left that. Why doesn't the country just admit what it is and get over itself. A very divided country that has no right to the name United States, when its behavior is anything but United.

When a citizen of this country has to wonder, if they can live in this place or that place because of all this division. Politics, religion, viewpoints, class, race, sexual orientation, incomes. etc etc. Then something is seriously wrong with the country and its people and politicians. What it all amounts to is a country that is very predjudiced and intolerant of each other. Sadly all this division has become a normal way of life in America.

You can mark my words if the USA doesn't get over its separatism and divisions of its peoples. Then there will come a time when you will need clearance to move from one place to another. If not that then a time will come, when the USA will be completely owned by a foreign country. Believe me when I say the World Community watches the USA and its many problems.

To answer your question OP. You move to any place USA that appeals to you. Where life brings you proper employment, housing, enjoyable activities and whatever else you fancy in life.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM

238 posts, read 315,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Colorado Springs is known as conservative.

I lived in neighboring Manitou Springs, which is not.
I can't wait to move out there this December with my partner. Her mom owns a bar in Manitou Springs, and I like the vibe from what's been told me. I'd prefer to buy a home there with my partner after we settle in and get jobs. Until then, we will be living on the Northside of COS...

Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
San Diego will always weather any liberalness in the rest of California, as it stands as a "fortified" island, IMO. My friend deems it Des Moines by the Sea. Even during the hippie movement, you had your hippie enclaves in L.A. and San Francisco/Berkeley, but San Diego?

This will come as a shock to most people, deluded by the term Sin City, but having lived in Las Vegas for close to 17 years, I'm increasingly referring to this city as San Diego of the Desert. The sin/liberalness left Las Vegas with the Mob, never to return!

Once you get not too far from the Strip, you've entered Conservative City, USA! And even the Strip, IMO, is conservative! The conservative oligarchs that rule this city and state are going to make triple sure there's never going to be a Tijuana/Bangkok style red light district here, and this state will be the last state in the union to legalize marijuana! This city is even too conservative to consider a light rail system!

This city is so conservative it won't even allow street art murals on the hundreds of miles of walls in this walled city. Conservative earth-tone walls, walls, walls, everywhere, to the point you feel like you're living in a prison!

I spent too many years in a very, very liberal city, Minneapolis, and I know liberal from conservative!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
San Diego will always weather any liberalness in the rest of California, as it stands as a "fortified" island, IMO. My friend deems it Des Moines by the Sea. Even during the hippie movement, you had your hippie enclaves in L.A. and San Francisco/Berkeley, but San Diego?
This will come as a shock to most people, deluded by the term Sin City, but having lived in Las Vegas for close to 17 years, I'm increasingly referring to this city as San Diego of the Desert. The sin/liberalness left Las Vegas with the Mob, never to return!

Once you get not too far from the Strip, you've entered Conservative City, USA! And even the Strip, IMO, is conservative! The conservative oligarchs that rule this city and state are going to make triple sure there's never going to be a Tijuana/Bangkok style red light district here, and this state will be the last state in the union to legalize marijuana! This city is even too conservative to consider a light rail system!

This city is so conservative it won't even allow street art murals on the hundreds of miles of walls in this walled city. Conservative earth-tone walls, walls, walls, everywhere, to the point you feel like you're living in a prison!

I spent too many years in a very, very liberal city, Minneapolis, and I know liberal from conservative!

I've never understood why SD is referred to as so conservative. I lived there in the late 70's and most of the 80's. It had its hippie, surfer types in OB. MB, PB. It had its gay neighborhoods in Hillcrest and here and there elsewhere, throughout the central core of SD. The area has people from all over. So perhaps some of the areas politics are conservative, but it sure doesn't keep liberal types from living there.

These many years later I've been trying the Phoenix suburbs out for retirement. Truthfully I do not care for this area and what I am seeing here. Gigantic retirement communities one after the other. They are overwhelming with conservative retirees, that seem to flock here. Its as if anyone that is not a staunch conservative, doesn't seem to set up housekeeping in these places. There are days I wish I could find a way to afford to retire, in what people think is conservative SD. I will take San Diego's style of conservatism, over what I am seeing in Metro Phoenix any day.

Still like I said before. Live where you want. That is if its in your budget to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies