Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 PM

266 posts, read 410,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
LOL....seriously???? You think confidence without ability will win???? ROTFLMAO....

I'm ok though. My kids have been raised to have ability before confidence. They'll blow the competition away.

I don't have to wait. I've already seen people raised on self confidence hit the work force. They don't last long. Sadly, the reason I became a teacher was because the new generation of engineers had such dismal skills. Unfortunately, I've found that the system is so broken it doesn't matter what I do.

One of the last new engineers in my old department was in tears one day. I asked my boss what happened. He told me that she had found another job offer and was upset that the company wouldn't counter offer an pay her more so she was leaving. She seemed naive but ok to me...he said he wouldn't counter because she was too full of herself and he was tired of having to stroke her ego by patting her on the back because she managed to get up that morning. Yes, confidence without ability will get you somewhere....and that somewhere is living in your parents basement at 25. I hope the new job worked out for her and that she learned something about how UNspecial she is in the process. You're special in the real world when you actually DO SOMETHING SPECIAL.

I also had to go to school with millenials when I went back for my MAT. All I can say is WOW. Most of them didn't have the sense to know when they'd just flunked an exam. I couldn't believe how dummied down the classes were (I recieved my BChE in 1991 and my MAT in 2008 and man did college change in those years.) and how little my peers could do. Of course they felt entitled to a good grade anyway. I'll never forget the day I took my state basic skills exam. I was standing in line with a multiple people (men and women) all taking the exam for the 2nd or 3rd time having failed it before. I was so nervous by the time I got the exam. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I could have passed that exam in the 7th grade. How can you fail something that simple? Hopefully, the school of hard knocks will knock some sense into them soon.
Where did I say confidence without ability will win? I said nothing about confidence and nothing about ability.

Another poster said we don't have ability. My point was that millenials are too young to really judge yet. Judging millenials in 2013 is like judging the baby boomers in 1975. The overall opinion of the generation has changed since then. In 1975 the opinion from older folks may have been something more along the lines of "No good drug abusing hippies". Now the opinion is way different.

People come on here and bash millenials for being over-confident and narcissistic and at the same time they will leave a comment about how great of a person they are, how hard of a worker they are, how much better they are then other generations and then leave their whole life story like somebody cares. That's a little hypocritical. Just look at your rant. According to you your more intelligent then most millenials and your children are going to blow everyone elses away. Sounds like you may be a little over confident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Or maybe the fact that college is expensive and that college graduates need to pay back enormous loans. $12 an hour is going to cut that. Depending on the major, many college graduates are happy to find a job that actually pays salary.
Or hell, a decent hourly wage. I make $18 an hour and from others job searches, I feel like I got lucky.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
People come on here and bash millenials for being over-confident and narcissistic and at the same time they will leave a comment about how great of a person they are, how hard of a worker they are, how much better they are then other generations and then leave their whole life story like somebody cares. That's a little hypocritical. Just look at your rant. According to you your more intelligent then most millenials and your children are going to blow everyone elses away. Sounds like you may be a little over confident.
Hold on. Millenials are constantly "ranting" about how much the want - not expect - want. How they deserve what they want because they went to college, got a degree and are now in debt, giving a bit of background on their short life, and you want people to care.

I really feel for your generation. You're timing on earth just happens to be the wrong time. We live in a world that is going through economic turmoil - it's not just the US. You want people to apologize for being born when they were and take responsibility for the way your life has turned out. YOU are responsible for your life, not someone else.

Blame our government - both parties are responsible for the economic problems of this country and especially the failure of creating jobs due to the fact that the government created massive outsourcing - because it would be good for the US. We know outsourcing has not benefitted the US, it's been quite the opposite, but do you see government trying to reverse outsourcing? Clinton created this monster and Bush fed it, and Obama continues to feed it.

We were once known as a country for it's manufacturing. Today our manufacturing sector has shrunk to next to nothing. Our middle class is shrinking as people once middle class are falling into the low-income/povery levels - and ever expanding sector - especially in the past 4 years it has accelerated. Almost half of society relies on some sort of government assistance - people from the BB generation to your generation.

Government continues to reward US companies that outsource. So stop blaming a generation or generations. The way the country is going, you better brace yourself for the day when your children and grandchildren will be pointing a finger at you and blaming you for their problems and asking why you didn't do more to change things, to make it a better world for them and you will explain to them that it was out of your hands and that it was government.

You have a job - it's just that it may not be in the US. People think the US is doing good because the DOW is going up, up, up. What is pushing the DOW up are the profits made by companies with business OUTSIDE the US. Although those profits are accountable, they remain outside the US, only to be reinvested outside the US.

You, like everyone from your generation, are no different from people who were the same age as you every generation before you, you think you know everything there is to know. Learning is a lifetime process.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
YOU are responsible for your life, not someone else.
This is why it's by any means.

Just waiting for the oldies to die off or retire so I don't get into trouble. But from here, we don't see those laws in the same way. They're seen absolute, I see them as relative. I'll follow them, but only as long as they line up with my ends.
Quote:
Learning is a lifetime process.
I don't understand how we're expected to know what we can't...because we're just starting out.
We get criticized for not knowing something we've had no way of knowing.

What really gets them, though, if I'm being truthful with what I think, is that we're confident. Almost overly confident...

The truth? The elder generations were lost. No rhyme or reason, seemingly...just a bunch of people wasting time. Monkeys on a ball running around...Now they'll retire, and die off. Somehow they think their death will be completion....from where I'm sitting, I see lots of waste....

Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Where did I say confidence without ability will win? I said nothing about confidence and nothing about ability.

Another poster said we don't have ability. My point was that millenials are too young to really judge yet. Judging millenials in 2013 is like judging the baby boomers in 1975. The overall opinion of the generation has changed since then. In 1975 the opinion from older folks may have been something more along the lines of "No good drug abusing hippies". Now the opinion is way different.

Let's see.... MY earlier post (that you were challenging) was about the confidence without ability I see in the millennials. You chose to challenge that post...Sorry, I ASSumed you read it before posting and understood what you were challenging...apparently, not...

I've gone to school with millennials and I've had to work with them. Trust me, until the over confidence bubble is burst, you can't do a thing with them. They do not enter the work force eager to learn. They enter as if they are the headliner act and everything before them was the opening act only they have yet to develop any actual talent. A diploma doesn't mean you're ready to tell the world how it's done. It means you're ready to LEARN from those who have more experience than you do.

They crack me up. They think they're great because they grew up with technology and can use technology yet they don't have a clue what it took to develop the technology they use. They diss the generation that developed everything they depend on beause they think dependence on technology is superior. Yes, so you can google cut and paste.... Excuse me if I'm not impressed.

Fortunately, life has a way of curing over confidence. Life does not pat you on the back for existing. It actually expects something of you before you get that pat on the back.

I do feel sorry for millennials though. They grew up being patted on the back just for existing and now you have to figure out how to navigate a reality that does not do that. The best jobs go to those with actual ability not just pieces of paper (that's what diplomas have become thanks to rampant grade inflation). In life there actually are winners and GASP....LOOSERS... AND MOST of us are not winners. What makes winning winning is the fact that few people actually win. Life is going to be a rude awakening. Right now, something like 19% of 20 somethings are out of work (haven't looked at the stats in a while so this number may be off). Nearly 1 in 5. This has to be rough for a generation raised to believe they are special and would get a trophy just for showing up.

What remains to be seen is what percentage of this generation will be able to adjust to the real world. I know this much, the arrogance I've seen, both in college and in the work place does not bode well for them but life has a way of knocking the wind out of your sails if your sails are full of holes. Those with actual ability to go with that confidence should do very well. Many of those who are over confident will adjust in time. I worry about those who don't. When you grow up believing you are entitled to something and don't get it you will have one of two responses. Change your game plan to get it or get mad and strike out.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-12-2013 at 04:25 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Hold on. Millenials are constantly "ranting" about how much the want - not expect - want. How they deserve what they want because they went to college, got a degree and are now in debt, giving a bit of background on their short life, and you want people to care.

I really feel for your generation. You're timing on earth just happens to be the wrong time. We live in a world that is going through economic turmoil - it's not just the US. You want people to apologize for being born when they were and take responsibility for the way your life has turned out. YOU are responsible for your life, not someone else.

Blame our government - both parties are responsible for the economic problems of this country and especially the failure of creating jobs due to the fact that the government created massive outsourcing - because it would be good for the US. We know outsourcing has not benefitted the US, it's been quite the opposite, but do you see government trying to reverse outsourcing? Clinton created this monster and Bush fed it, and Obama continues to feed it.

We were once known as a country for it's manufacturing. Today our manufacturing sector has shrunk to next to nothing. Our middle class is shrinking as people once middle class are falling into the low-income/povery levels - and ever expanding sector - especially in the past 4 years it has accelerated. Almost half of society relies on some sort of government assistance - people from the BB generation to your generation.

Government continues to reward US companies that outsource. So stop blaming a generation or generations. The way the country is going, you better brace yourself for the day when your children and grandchildren will be pointing a finger at you and blaming you for their problems and asking why you didn't do more to change things, to make it a better world for them and you will explain to them that it was out of your hands and that it was government.

You have a job - it's just that it may not be in the US. People think the US is doing good because the DOW is going up, up, up. What is pushing the DOW up are the profits made by companies with business OUTSIDE the US. Although those profits are accountable, they remain outside the US, only to be reinvested outside the US.

You, like everyone from your generation, are no different from people who were the same age as you every generation before you, you think you know everything there is to know. Learning is a lifetime process.
Outsourcing has nothing to do with the government. The government didn't do this. We did it to ourselves. We demanded cheap goods. Companies could not pay US wages and deliver cheap goods so they moved abroad to give us cheap goods. Our response was to demand MORE cheap goods so more companies moved abroad. The companies found this to be a win-win. They could sell cheap stuff to us AND by building those factories abroad, they created new markets for their products. Now those markets are becomming large enough that we no longer matter. As they say...be careful what you wish for because you might get it. We got what we wanted. We don't get to cry foul now.

We did this to ourselves by not buying from our own industries. Now we don't have US industries to buy from. If you want to know who is to blame, look at the label on your clothes, or anything else you bought recently (where was it made???), then look in the mirror to find who is to blame. It's not the government making companies that manufacture in China rich, it's us. How much made in China crap did you buy last year that you really didn't need? Was it worth sending your dollars abroad?

Ask yourself why a company should manufacture here? What's in it for them? Higher wages...whining entiteled employees....product too costly to sell abroad because manufacturing costs are so high here? Taxes because people just think companies should be taxed into extinction??? Would YOU build a factory here?

We are whining entitled brats who are waking up to the reality that we are NOT the only kids on the block who count. Either we figure out how to make things here we can sell abroad or we're out of the race. The government cannot do this for us. It does no good to give incentives to build factories here when the cost to manufacture is so high that people here won't actually buy products made here. Until there is a demand for US goods, they will not manufacture them here. Right now, the demand is still for cheap goods. We did this to ourselves.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-12-2013 at 04:13 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
This is why it's by any means.

Just waiting for the oldies to die off or retire so I don't get into trouble. But from here, we don't see those laws in the same way. They're seen absolute, I see them as relative. I'll follow them, but only as long as they line up with my ends.

I don't understand how we're expected to know what we can't...because we're just starting out.
We get criticized for not knowing something we've had no way of knowing.

What really gets them, though, if I'm being truthful with what I think, is that we're confident. Almost overly confident...

The truth? The elder generations were lost. No rhyme or reason, seemingly...just a bunch of people wasting time. Monkeys on a ball running around...Now they'll retire, and die off. Somehow they think their death will be completion....from where I'm sitting, I see lots of waste....
You are not expected to know everything. It certainly wouldn't hurt for you to listen and possibly learn. The criticism comes from youuth speaking about something they know very little about.

You're entire post is indicative of your youth and lack of knowledge and experience. You seem to think that BBs owned and controlled the voting booths and if anyone was from the tail end of the BB or the next generation they threw your vote in the trash bin.

OK, I'm going to come clean. BBs had a master plan. It was to destroy the future for you and your generation. They knew they would have to make sacrifices such as to lose their pensions and 401ks (savings) but they were willing to make that sacrifice if it meant screwing your generation. They deliberately lied to you and told you that an education was valuable to your future, knowing that it would be worth the newspaper you will end up using to wipe your azz. Yes, it was a grand mission.

You got one thing right. Your generation has been raised to be overly confident and the place where that belief began was within you own home. And that kind of confidence includes the belief that you have certain entitlements.

When growing up and being told you are special, as is every child who was told they are special, came from the people who raised and loved you - that's where you being special ended. You were not born special nor are you special to this world. You haven't lived long enough to do anything special and you may never do anything special except for those who love you. What have you done in your short life that is so special and can be seen as an accomplishment that millions of others haven't done? You are one of millions - who are not seen as being special to this world. As a grandparent that's what I tell my grandson. He will always be special to me, but to the world he will be just a grain of sand. When you can get your head around that, you will realize that you will have to work for what you want and to succeed, and that will give you an edge, and entry to the real world. It will be up to my grandson as to what he makes of himself. He also understands that in spite of any accomplishments he may achieve, not to expect anything for those accomplishments. The reward for those accomplishments will be how he uses those them.

Your disappoint comes from the fact that you DO expect something that didn't come with a guarantee and certainly were not realistic. You will have less disappointment in your life if you lower or have fewer expectations.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Not all Obama's fault but he has added 6 trillion in debt in four years. More than any other president (even adjusted for inflation) in our nation's history.

Chielgirl's ignorance and the utter glee with which she displays it is the epitome of the millennial generation. Her brand of supreme ignorance combined with caustic self rightousness is particularly disturbing. Every time she clicks "submit reply" and subjects the rest of us to another of her moronic intimations this site becomes a much worse virtual venue for reasonable individuals to engage in rational, logical discourse.
Well, aren't you just a bucket of maturity.
I wanted to quote you before it got deleted.
TOS, darlin'.

While I'm at it, might I suggest that you use the "ignore" feature if I disturb you so very much.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-12-2013 at 05:07 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We have oversold the self-esteem movement.

Study shows college students think they're more special than ever...even those that can't read or write and barely study | Mail Online

We are setting the current generation of college students to be dissatisfied with their lives. These kids need to learn that sometimes believing you can do something is not enough; you've got to work at it and have the ability/skills to begin with. This comes from the everybody is a winner and everyone is equal culture that is in ours schools and our society. Learning to accept disappointment and learning how to overcome failures are two of the most important things a person can learn and are the least painful when learned in childhood. When we don't allow them to experience these things at a young age, we are failing our children.
One result of this is that too many think that they can graduate from college and walk right into a high paying job. But people in top level positions had to earn their way, by proving that they were competent and had acquired the skills.

It has been said that college graduates today have the education equivalency of high school graduates a few generations ago. We have "dumbed down" education.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 AM

147 posts, read 118,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
Not all Obama's fault but he has added 6 trillion in debt in four years. More than any other president (even adjusted for inflation) in our nation's history.

Chielgirl's ignorance and the utter glee with which she displays it is the epitome of the millennial generation. Her brand of supreme ignorance combined with caustic self rightousness is particularly disturbing. Every time she clicks "submit reply" and subjects the rest of us to another of her moronic intimations this site becomes a much worse virtual venue for reasonable individuals to engage in rational, logical discourse.
I thought personal attacks on other members were not permitted in the city data forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies