Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times

Advertisements

I have completely lost patience with the way it has become a cultural norm to sugar coat everything. For example:

I was bemused to discover that children no longer get an "F" on their report card if they fail a subject. Instead, they come home with a note from the school congratulating them on "qualifying" for a special class that will be held after school 2 or 3 days each week. There will be cookies provided and fun games to play. If this "fun" remedial schooling doesn't work, the kid gets promoted to the 4th grade, anyway.

Social Security and Medicare have morphed into something called "entitlements" instead of being earned benefits that almost every American worker has paid for through payroll deductions from their hard earned checks.

The social contract has turned into an "entiltlement," as well - consisting of a set of frivolous expenditures easily discarded in favor of maintaining the "defense" industry and keeping up the cash flow to Hallibuten. The 100,000 civilians killed in the Iraq war when we were "defending" ourselves from a country that had never attacked us were "collateral damage," and torture is now "enhanced interrogation."

The Bill of Rights was ruled null and void under something called the "Patriot Act." It is now "patriotic" to arrest citizens without letting them know what charges are being laid against them and hold them for some indefinate amount of time without trial - there is no more due process under the law, but that's OK because it's "patriotic."

The news media described 20 dead first graders as being "honored" by prayer vigils and through special funds set up in their memory. We used to honor someone (usually an adult) who gave up their life for the sake of some greater good. It is not an "honor" for a six year-old child to be slaughtered by a sociopath with a Bushmaster. It is a tragedy that we grieve ever happened and we mourn for the loss of those babies.

Billionaires are now called "job creators" and "small businessmen" when they outsource hundreds if not thousands of American jobs to China in order to increase dividends to stockholders who hold shares in a "small business" like Apple.

And there are no more people in the American South or anywhere else in the country, for that matter, who hold racist views. The Civil Rights movement of the 60's magically morphed Bubba into Atticus Finch and the few remaining Bubba's hiding out in a swamp somewhere are merely scattered members of the lunatic "fringe."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I thank you for your post. No youtube or anything. Just one person's thoughts.

I will note that Social Security Retirement benefits were called 'entitlements' from the very beginning, during Roosevelt's time. Mr. Roosevelt was the one who argued (and won, being President) that they be called 'entitlements', to make the program more receptive to the public. Since Medicare (which came afterwards, of course) is also paid for by a worker's own money, I think entitlement fits also (but not Medicaid, a welfare program).

Indeed, here at Social Security (I work for ODAR,the disability office) we state that a person is 'entitled'' to disability income benefits (under Title II, the insurance program) and 'eligible' for supplemental security income benefits (under Title XVI, the welfare program for disability, as well as the elderly).

Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I have completely lost patience with the way it has become a cultural norm to sugar coat everything. For example:

I was bemused to discover that children no longer get an "F" on their report card if they fail a subject. Instead, they come home with a note from the school congratulating them on "qualifying" for a special class that will be held after school 2 or 3 days each week. There will be cookies provided and fun games to play. If this "fun" remedial schooling doesn't work, the kid gets promoted to the 4th grade, anyway.

Social Security and Medicare have morphed into something called "entitlements" instead of being earned benefits that almost every American worker has paid for through payroll deductions from their hard earned checks.

The social contract has turned into an "entiltlement," as well - consisting of a set of frivolous expenditures easily discarded in favor of maintaining the "defense" industry and keeping up the cash flow to Hallibuten. The 100,000 civilians killed in the Iraq war when we were "defending" ourselves from a country that had never attacked us were "collateral damage," and torture is now "enhanced interrogation."

The Bill of Rights was ruled null and void under something called the "Patriot Act." It is now "patriotic" to arrest citizens without letting them know what charges are being laid against them and hold them for some indefinate amount of time without trial - there is no more due process under the law, but that's OK because it's "patriotic."

The news media described 20 dead first graders as being "honored" by prayer vigils and through special funds set up in their memory. We used to honor someone (usually an adult) who gave up their life for the sake of some greater good. It is not an "honor" for a six year-old child to be slaughtered by a sociopath with a Bushmaster. It is a tragedy that we grieve ever happened and we mourn for the loss of those babies.

Billionaires are now called "job creators" and "small businessmen" when they outsource hundreds if not thousands of American jobs to China in order to increase dividends to stockholders who hold shares in a "small business" like Apple.

And there are no more people in the American South or anywhere else in the country, for that matter, who hold racist views. The Civil Rights movement of the 60's magically morphed Bubba into Atticus Finch and the few remaining Bubba's hiding out in a swamp somewhere are merely scattered members of the lunatic "fringe."
The only kids I know who don't get F's are pre-school kids. I don't know what kind of schools you are sending your kids to. Time to transfer your kids out.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The only kids I know who don't get F's are pre-school kids. I don't know what kind of schools you are sending your kids to. Time to transfer your kids out.
I just wish my high school provided cookies and such for every F.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:05 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:

You left off the one about how scraping a fetus out of a gals uterus is called "pro choice".

Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,839 times
My daughter has gotten F's and she has gotten them up, and they have also tested her for dyslexia which she has. She has to go to tutorial and there is no cakes and cookies and punch, there are no games to play, her teachers are there and they help her with any problems she has in class and with work, and I help her out as well. (Trying to patient). But I do understand what you are saying, everything has a "gloss" to make it seem good when it's not or just minimizing the severity of the word or actions or thoughts or just about anything.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,800,839 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You left off the one about how scraping a fetus out of a gals uterus is called "pro choice".

A gal?? Really? I'm not sure I have to guess what gender you are and how old you might be for using the word "gal" to identify a female. How is that even close to glossing over the choice that a womyn has a right to do with her body as she deems necessary? It IS pro choice; giving her a right a human being a right to choose what they want to do with their body.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times
Quote:

While I don't agree with everything you said, you are correct. Many of us are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the direction of this country.

As bad as this may sound, our people are becoming just as cheap and mass-produced as the worthless **** we buy from China.

We all need to get our hand out of the bag of cheetos and wake the **** up.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
A gal?? Really? I'm not sure I have to guess what gender you are and how old you might be for using the word "gal" to identify a female. How is that even close to glossing over the choice that a womyn has a right to do with her body as she deems necessary? It IS pro choice; giving her a right a human being a right to choose what they want to do with their body.
oh, ok. Good comment, I'm sure we all look forward to hearing more from you.

thumbs up.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
It's not a right when a broad hurts another person. Denying someone else the right to live is harmful.

Of course, it is her choice to not get knocked up in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies