Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,764,470 times

Advertisements

The right wingers are completely losing it. I'm almost afraid to see how crazy they will be at the end of Obama's second term. Just imagine how unhinged they will be when they come to grip with the reality that Hillary will be taking over after Obama is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,778,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There is a 5 year cap on welfare, any person who is able to game that system is the exception to the rule, NOT the rule.

arguing about a so called "lifer" is like bringing up an argument about Li-Liger attacking someone. its an anomaly where as you are trying to make it seems like a majority or even a sizable minority are doing it and that just isnt true.

In what world is it easy to live on welfare ???????????????????????????????????????????

Not really sure why you asked that question considering the fact that my comment says people, so obviously i think wel fare recipients can pay their fair share with community service.

I have no clue how Public housing works around the country( i am not that informed), but in my town, anyone living in subsidized housing has mandatory community service, and the possible activities are listed and yes, all the things you named are on it(except janitors) .

I also should add that being on welfare(even full time) doesnt mean you dont work. There are areas with crappy jobs where you just dont make any money. funny how cons want everyone off of welfare but are unwilling to talk about paying a living wage.
Government needs to adjust the poverty level up to a real figure, keeping up with cost of living/inflation. Between income at the current minimum wage and those who are on welfare to subsidize their low income, the government could no longer hide the fact that there is a huge problem with this nation. Let the corporations start paying and making less profit, rather than the taxpayer paying and saving little if anything.

Quote:
Here’s an unhappy observation about the minimum wage: Congress last increased the rate in stages in 2007, topping it out at $7.25 an hour in 2009, or $15,080 a year.

That amount, when adjusted for inflation, is actually lower than what a minimum-wage worker earned in 1968 and is too meager to offer anyone the chance to climb out of poverty, let alone afford basic goods and services.
Raise the Minimum Wage - Bloomberg

Quote:
In 2011, a family of two working-age adults and two children was considered poor if its annual income fell below $22,811
Official U.S. poverty rate remains high, middle class incomes decline | UW Today

For a family of 4 it would require at least $50,000 for a DECENT standard of living.

Between the low wages and what is considered living in poverty, the government definitely needs to look at what is wrong with the picture and do something to effectively change it. Government - both democrats and republicans - have to stop supporting corporate greed and start regulating. Penalize corporations that outsource jobs, not reward them with tax breaks. Clinton argued that outsourcing would be good for America and would create jobs. How has that worked out for the working population - millions on unemployment; how has that worked out for the middle class - that is shrinking and going downward putting people in poverty?

Clinton also did enact the five year limit, but Obama has made changes that leave states to comply at their own discretion and to determine what is "work". Not every states operates the same when it comes to welfare. Bloomberg stopped Section 8 years a few years ago, whereas many states still have it.

As for welfare - either full blown or any form has become necessary for survival, created by government. But please don't tell me that there are no welfare queens and able bodied people who aren't working the system. In NY there are no conditions to collect welfare. Good for your state.

I don't know what or who Li-Liger is. Is that a cartoon character?

Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,719,550 times
Only takes about 3 questions during the meal and I know what tip to give....Some Washingtons or Vote Republician next time.....

Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,713,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Hey, are you still taking out your anger over Obama's presidential win on all of the needy kids who had nothing to do with it, like you claimed you were going to do in your thread? Just curious.
The needy became greedy.

As for Obama, is this the only time you enjoyed being on the winning side lol because you are still savoring the "moment" This too shall pass.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:47 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,163,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Of course not. Bush will be blamed for the long list of things he screwed up as long as human history lasts.

WWII ended decades ago.

We still blame Hitler.

Nero still gets the blame for Rome burning.

Blame that's placed correctly sticks.

See how that works?
Teflon scrapes off. The MSM can't protect Obama forever.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul
I went out tonight for a dinner buffet, didn't tip (I either tip 18% or don't tip at all depending on my mood). Didn't blame Obama for it though .
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
TWDBs are already factored in.
Oh cool! Thanks for the information, it's another place I just found out I don't have to tip.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
surely tipping should just be abolished, as it is merely a vestige of master and servant division?

The customer tips only to puff his ego, whilst the waitress grovels in order to earn her bowl of soup.

How about we all move forwards into the Democratic World!
Grovel, servant, bowl of soup is the Democratic world? Wow what a sad outlook on life you have. Let me ask you... Did you at least go and get an education or did you expect a handout and it isn't good enough for you.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Ken theres a theme that runs through many of your posts = the poor and less fortunate should be made to endure even greater hardship,
Ken is typical of people in the democratic party. Obama encourages self serving self-pity. I don't even have to mention the other common personality trait but will. Obama blames Bush, democrats blame the rich. They all blame anyone for their failures but themselves.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ken is typical of people in the democratic party. Obama encourages self serving self-pitty.
Just came across this on Twitter. Think you'll like it, Petch:

https://twitter.com/carolt2000/statu...919232/photo/1

Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
How about we all move forwards into the Democratic World! ~Kenneth-Kaunda
Yes sir! Right away sir! We'z all gonna "move forwards"!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies