Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,272,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So you think that people of my income level never go on the Internet? That IS FUNNY. What we do not do is-

Shop at malls in public

Go to common restaurants (Olive Garden, etc)

Play golf at public courses

Go to grocery stores

Go to movies

We are not seen in public and associate among ourselves, generally at our country club, Good restaurants, or at private booths for plays and sporting events.

You will never see me and my friends, as we are private and do not want to be seen.

I find it amusing that you think someone who makes over $1 million per year is "special". That is hilarious; I am a relative pauper in my peer group. You must be very jealous and envious; you are a fool- find faith and peace instead.
Reminds me of a scene in the classic comedy film "Office Space"

Young computer programmer tells his neighbor that he wants to be rich, neighbor asks why, programmer says so that he won't have to work and sit on his ass all day doing nothing, neighbor responds

"hell, you don't have to be rich to do that, I have a cousin who is broke and all he does nothing all day"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,829,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But yet, you want to take their money.
the super-rich should certainly be taxed more, as they have too much.

this comes out of the pockets of everyone else, and only helps to improve their golf swings.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I suppose people that think like you do and tip according to looks might see things as 'clearly' as you do.
People more interested in good,prompt and proper service tip according to that.
No amount of good looks are going to make up for waiting 20 minutes to get your drink refilled or wiping the splatter of a sneeze out of your soup.
quite a few posters here + general life experience , have told us that this is the way human nature works.

so, it does stand to reason, the more attractive the server (assuming their work is at least average), then the higher the tip.

What I propose is that all tips should be divided evenly amongst all the staff that worked on that shift.

This would be the best method - pure democracy at work.

Same pay for the same job.

what thinks you about this?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM

so has anyone actually compared prices at place where servers get tips, and those that don't?

because I'm pretty sure that the food prices will be the SAME.

it's all about profit for the owners, and the ridiculous argument that improved wages will hit the consumers is just more false lies and bigoted right wing propaganda.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
the super-rich should certainly be taxed more, as they have too much.

this comes out of the pockets of everyone else, and only helps to improve their golf swings.
The poor are the overwhelming majority of drug users. They don't need more money to increase their drug supply.

Seriously, what's up with the stereotyping? Bill Gates is using his money to cure diseases around the world and promote education. There's no golf swing involved.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Grovel, servant, bowl of soup is the Democratic world? Wow what a sad outlook on life you have. Let me ask you... Did you at least go and get an education or did you expect a handout and it isn't good enough for you.
got an education, thanks - no handout as I live abroad these days, and yes, I have a job.

I just see how vile it all gets with deregulation, exploitation of the worker, crony capitalism, faux fascism (as this is the system where I now live).

so I'll fight it tooth and nail to make sure countries in the Western world do not keep on going down this track.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
That is one of the strong economic arguments against the custom, but certainly not the only one. For example:
The Case Against Tipping [pdf]
thanks for that

and that is what I"m getting at here - tipping is a form of discrimination, unless they are shared out evenly.

how about in a regular waged job - surely people would be complaining if the good looking person in the office got paid more than the ugly one, or if the white pilot had a larger salary than the black one.

it's the same thing!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Where does the 20% mandatory tip come from? I always thought you give tip for great services, now tip is part of the bill.
good question.

what is the mandatory charge anyway - why should you HAVE TO tip?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
got an education, thanks - no handout as I live abroad these days, and yes, I have a job.
You live abroad? Then keep your nose abroad.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM

abroad, not abroad - what difference does it make?

and as for the tips, why don't these service workers get them:

air hostess, MacD's server, shop assistant, cleaner etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies