Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. It's a good way to have that "right" you so freely proclaim taken away. I sure as hell don't want to live in a society where people routinely walk around carrying assault rifles "Just because I can", or for the fun of it or whatever. Move to Afghanistan or Somalia if you want to live like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
[quote=Dale Cooper;27714005]Oh, believe me, we get it.

And we're laughing hysterically.

@ u

If you think these two idiots are a good look for gun nuts, now that's funny.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Reading and watching the news is sufficient. No need to actually fondle the weapons to understand that we have a serious problem.
By what standard do we have a serious problem? Crime is down and continues to trend downward in spite of higher gun ownership. Violent crime is about where it was in '73 and homicide is around where it was in the 60's after spiking in the 70's and 80's.

FBI data is a bit more reliable for information than chosen soundbites.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Insane to follow to the law? If the people in Oregon don't like the law they can change it, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to call the cops just because you are scared and ignorant of the law. I know of a neighborhood in Dallas that used to call the cops on anyone that wasn't white, but that didn't make it right either. There are places that my girlfriend and I shouldn't visit because we might make someone feel uneasy, but we still go.

I'm pretty sure they knew the cops were going to be called, hence why they said they wanted to educate people on their 2nd amendment rights. It doesn't sound like they actually did anything irresponsible though. They weren't waving the guns around or shooting them, they were walking with a rifle on their back, that's legal in Oregon. As far as scaring people, that is an individual problem.
Man if you think seeing two idiots walking around with loaded weapons won't cause most normal people to feel threatened and call the police. You aren't in touch with reality. They locked down a school because of those idiots. Parents were sent an email saying two armed men were outside the school. Are you crazy that you don't see how thats a horrible idea.

The thinking of gun nuts is insanity. This thread proves it.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. It's a good way to have that "right" you so freely proclaim taken away. I sure as hell don't want to live in a society where people routinely walk around carrying assault rifles "Just because I can", or for the fun of it or whatever. Move to Afghanistan or Somalia if you want to live like that.
Or Switzerland. As it currently stands in (apparently) many US states it is legal to walk around with a rifle. If they people in Oregon don't like it they can change they law. A criminal isn't going want to draw attention to him/herself.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
... and possibly killing police officers, ATF agents, FBI, national guard, and maybe soldiers in your future fight against tyranny.
My experience at least locally is that the majority of those people would be on the side of gun owners.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. It's a good way to have that "right" you so freely proclaim taken away.
If you can't exercise that right it's not a right is it?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My experience at least locally is that the majority of those people would be on the side of gun owners.
Keep dreaming.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Man if you think seeing two idiots walking around with loaded weapons won't cause most normal people to feel threatened and call the police. You aren't in touch with reality. They locked down a school because of those idiots. Parents were sent an email saying two armed men were outside the school. Are you crazy that you don't see how thats a horrible idea.

The only thing this thread proves is that these two kids were correct. There is a significant lack of education concerning firearms. For example, those two kids were NOT carrying assault rifles.

The AR-15 was originally designed as a sporting rifle for civilian use exclusively by ArmaLite (AR = ArmaLite Rifle). Even after ArmaLite sold their AR-10 and AR-15 designs to Colt in 1959, Colt continued to sell them to civilians by 1963. It was not until the late-1960s that Colt adapted the AR-15 to be fully automatic for use by the military and called it the M-16A1.

While the M-16 is an assault rifle, the AR-15 is not and never was.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:

So what?
Just because you, these schools and other whiners aren't aware of the laws of the land doesn't mean we have to alter our behavior...

I walk around armed EVERY SINGLE TIME I leave my house.

Every time.

Open carrying everyday.

What? Don't like it? Too bad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies