Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:58 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You know this question gets asked all the time when the gun debate comes up, especially on the talking head talk shows in the late evening. Piers Morgan asks all the pro gun people why an average citizen needs an assault weapon, and I've yet to hear the most satisfactory answer from any of these pro gun folks. The question is a legit one, and the proper way to answer it is very obvious.

Instead of giving the obvious answer, these guys drift off into the answer of "we need them for the possibility of gov. tyranny" answer. While this answer IS the original intent of the second amendment and still remains a valid reason to this day, giving this answer does not help our cause in the least. Most people hear that answer and cringe, and call us gun nuts and conspiracy theorists and so forth.

So, when asked the question, I just can't understand why these so called prominant gun rights advocates don't skip all the tyranny mumbo jumbo and just get right down to the real answer: we don't NEED to have a NEED to own an assault weapon. Not at all. The Constitution doesn't say we have to show a valid need for a weapon, it simply says we have the right to own a weapon or "arms" to be more specific. It is YOU, all the people who want to ban assault weapons, who must prove the need to do so, not us.

I can already anticipate your answer, which will be something to the effect of "I'd say 20 kids being slaughtered shows a need to ban them" { yes, you people are very predictable } That logic doesn't work. How many kids are killed in car accidents every year? How many kids are killed with other weapons every year? How many kids/people are killed with hammers, wrenches or other blunt objects every year? Most importantly, why are we not considering a ban on those things? Because we can't live our lives that way, We can't just ban anything and everything the has a potential risk factor of being usd to take innocent lives.

So let me ask YOU, why do we NEED to ban so-called "assault weapons"
Are you asking about "assault rifles" or "sport rifles" ? I think you need to explain the differences between both before you can pass judgement.

For my personally , I have no need for an "assault rifle". As cool as it would be to shoot something fully auto ,first off I couldn't afford the ammo and second I'm relatively new to rifles so my main concern is accuracy and I think I would have a hard time with something fully auto. But for those that are willing to pass the stringent ATF background check, permit approval process and tax stamp and have the cash for the ammo go for it.
So back to your question, which do you mean "assault" or "sport" ... please clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Assault rifles have been heavily regulated ever since 1934. No new assault rifles can be sold to civilians ever since 1982. The assault rifles available to own usually are in the $5000-20,000 range and one must jump a bunch of legal hoop to get there.

The term "assault weapon" is an anti-gun nuts' term to describe any gun that looks scary to them. Be it a magazine, rifle, handgun, or whatever, if it looks scary, it's a "assault XYZ." For example, you also hear the term "assault magazine".

Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 AM

374 posts, read 236,092 times
It takes a pretty worthless individual to be scared of a "tool".

Just like a hammer, impact wrench, ratchet and sockets, tap and dies, drill press, mig welder etc...etc..

It's just a tool.

You can tell who doesn't know the first thing about using them either when you read these rants.

I could burn the house down in a minute with my mig welder and turbo torch.

I WON'T!

4 year old shooting Stag AR-15 - YouTube

Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Assault rifles have been heavily regulated ever since 1934. No new assault rifles can be sold to civilians ever since 1982. The assault rifles available to own usually are in the $5000-20,000 range and one must jump a bunch of legal hoop to get there.

The term "assault weapon" is an anti-gun nuts' term to describe any gun that looks scary to them. Be it a magazine, rifle, handgun, or whatever, if it looks scary, it's a "assault XYZ." For example, you also hear the term "assault magazine".
1986.....May 19th 1986 to be more exact.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Please educate me on the difference between an assault rifle and a hunting rifle? Which one of the folowing rifles would be acceptable?

three words: high capacity magazine. that's the difference.

unless you live in a warzone, or getting ready to go on a shooting spree, you don't need an assault rifle.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:08 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
the difference is, cars serve a useful purpose for ordinary people. it is impossible to live without cars in modern society. hence they cannot be banned.

but assault rifles serve no useful purpose. their only purpose is to kill and maim. we can live without them. they can be banned and we'll be better off without them because they serve no useful purpose (unless you're a mass killer or a paranoid anti-government freak). you want to have a hunting rifle? fine. that is your right and no one will ever take that from you.
Another ill-informed leftist with nothing to back up any statement that has been made above....

Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:

unless you live in a warzone, or getting ready to go on a shooting spree, you don't need an assault rifle.
Again, these are NOT assault rifles.

There's nothing wrong with high capacity magazine. There's an absolute need to have high capacity magazines.

I need to ask, why are you so interested in limiting law abiding citizens' right? If you are worried about crime, focus on criminals please.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Amatuer rants......

I am the goddess of fire!

TurboTorch - Copper Pipe Brazing Demonstration - YouTube

Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
its not inconsistent. ordinary civilians and military forces alike are both allowed to keep firearms, as it should be.

but civilians are not allowed (or shouldn't be allowed) to keep weapons of war (ie: tanks, grenades, rocket launchers, assault rifles. etc). that stuff is restricted to military and police only.
I would ask if you understand, but it is obvious you don't....but here goes a question for you...

Did the "assault rifle" derive from the military to civillian world, or did the "assault rifle" derive from the civlllian world to the military world....?

I know this may throw a loop in your thinking, and you may have to do some research....but knowledge is your friend....

Will you answer honestly?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:

You are way off if you think magazine capacity is the difference. Have you ever seen someone that really and I mean really can handle a bolt action gun , pump shot gun, or revolver with speed loaders ? So take an old SKS, all original loaded from the top with a stripper clip. I think their are 8 or 10 rounds on the clip, I could be wrong. Then take that same SKS and convert it so it will accept magazines. So in which form is it an "assault rifle" ? Ever heard of Barret firearms ? They make rifles, specifically rifles that are calibered in .50 BMG , you can get these either in bolt action form or semi auto. So is one an assault rifle and one a hunting rifle ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies