Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:33 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I don't know of a single state which don't exempt normal household food items from the sales tax.
Ohio and Pennsylvania don't tax food. West Virginia didn't until a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
I still think all food other than raw foods should be taxed.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Luke 4:4-8: Then the devil, taking Him up on a high mountain, showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said to Him, "All this authority I will give You, and their glory; for this has been delivered to me, and I give it to whomever I wish. Therefore, if You will worship before me, all will be Yours." And Jesus answered and said to him, "Get behind Me, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.' " (See also Matt. 4:1-11; Mark 1:12,13; Luke 4:1-13.)

Satan offered Jesus worldly governments and they were rejected.

And the King ( government official) killed all babies in Bethlaham hoping he would get Jesus.

And the government ended up crucifying Jesus in the end.

Angels told Joseph to go to Egypt in direct opposition to what the government said.

Jesus was born defying government. He died defying government.

I don't think God cares much for human government. And there are plenty of ways to lead an organized life without the Feds there to direct all our lives. People live peaceful, orderly lives all the time. And it's not because the President made them.
Wow, I'm glad I don't go to whatever church you attend. Done talking to you about this.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
I don't believe in dictating morals for anyone but myself.

If the people of a jurisdiction don't like a tax on food, they can work toward repealing it.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I don't know of a single state which don't exempt normal household food items from the sales tax.

Several states tax normal household food items:

• Seven states tax groceries at lower rates than other goods; they are Arkansas, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and West Virginia. [1]
  • Five states — Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas*, Oklahoma, and South Dakota— tax groceries fully but offer credits or rebates offsetting some of the taxes paid on food by some portions of the population. These credits or rebates usually are set at a flat amount per family member. The amounts and eligibility rules vary, but may be too narrow and/or insufficient to give eligible households full relief from sales taxes paid on food purchases.
  • Two states continue to apply their sales tax fully to food purchased for home consumption without providing any offsetting relief for low- and moderate-income families. They are Alabama and Mississippi.

Which States Tax the Sale of Food for Home Consumption in 2009? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

* Kansas recently repealed its low-income food tax rebate as part of a "tax cut" package.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Our state doesn't tax grocery food.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I still think all food other than raw foods should be taxed.
I agree, and would favor higher taxes on processed food to offset the tax reduction on raw food. By shifting demand, we would lower obesity, and therefore, health care costs. Not via direct law, via financial incentive as motivating behavior.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
“Personally, I think it’s kind of morally wrong to tax a commodity like food,” said Republican Patrick Bengtson, of Lawrence, who is running for House District 44.

Kansas sales tax on groceries is unpopular but untouchable / LJWorld.com
No, every good and service should be taxed equally. Bengston's idea is absurd.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's the Matter with Kansas?

Oh, I don't know...

Maybe it's the wind.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Our state doesn't tax grocery food.
Which state is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies