Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I did get my flu shot. I had started a new job that put me in contact with lot's of people and handling money so I thought it was the best approach. Not only didn't I want to get sick but I didn't want to call in sick my first few months on the job. I didn't get it the last couple years because I didn't have those kinds of responsibilities and was home most of the time, not coming in contact with a bunch of people. If I got hit with the flu I would just have stayed in bed for a week, suffering in silenece, like I did many years ago when I picked it up at the school my kids went to. We were all down for the count with 102 fevers for 10 days. That wasn't fun.

People have to put some thought into their actions and not just "buy in" to whatever plots and theories are flying around out there. It's no guarentee, but it's better than crossing my fingers.
The flu shot is no guarantee you won't get the flu. Do keep up staying healthy during winter.
There is also a flu like cold going around (at least here in central Texas) that knocks people out for a few days but is not the flu and there is no shot for the common cold.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's a dose of dead flu virus.

It's no different than the common Polio vaccine that contains a dead poliovirus.
The nasal spray is live virus.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Uh huh. Are you including the owners of all the small drug stores? At 88% inoculation, there must be many druggists who own their pharmacies who decided the vaccine was safe.

Avoid vaccines if you want- it's a free country. I vaccinate my dogs because I have seen dogs die from parvo and other dog diseases. I've vaccinated horses, cattle, cats, and sheep for the same reason, and if I owned a bird, I would vaccinate it, too.

I've seen people who developed tetanus, and it ain't pretty. I have family members in my tree that died of polio, scarlet fever, and influenza. My father survived one of these epidemics, but it left him with an auto-immune arthritis for the rest of his life. He was arthritic from age 20 on.

I'm 68, and old enough to have seen what all those diseases can do, and I do not consider vaccines to be 'a plague'. it could well be that you are alive today because one of your recent ancestors was immunized, Ape.

When a polio outbreak went through my hometown a year before the Salk vaccine was available, the kid I played with next door caught it and was crippled for life. So were 7 other kids who were my childhood friends, and 2 girls I didn't know died.

Believe what you will. Lethal diseases don't give a hoot what you believe. Vaccines have risk, but they also work. So do automobiles, appliances, and a lot of other stuff. And all are safer today than they once were.

Agreed. It is simply amazing that anyone who purports to believe in "science" would oppose vaccinations. Vaccinations, along with modern plumbing, have done the most in the course of human history to extend life expectancy and diminish the ravages of disease. It is incomprehensible that anyone would oppose vaccinations.

Oddly, liberals and class action suits have driven many companies that make vaccines out of the US.

Science and fact should dictate health policy, not irrational emotion and anecdotes.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My response was to the poster that said if you don't like it than find another job.

There's a big difference between a mandate on you and wishing for a higher salary.
The answer from the cons to working conditions people disagree with, be they salary, benefits, whatever, is always, "so quit and get another job".

Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The nasal spray is live virus.
Yes, and the dose is calculated to be small enough to produce antibodies yet not cause disease, and the virus is "cold-adapted" so it works only in the nose. You'd think the homeopathy people would go for this; "like cures like".

Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, and the dose is calculated to be small enough to produce antibodies yet not cause disease, and the virus is "cold-adapted" so it works only in the nose. You'd think the homeopathy people would go for this; "like cures like".
Ok. I was replying to the poster that said it was a dead virus. Not in the case of nasal spray though.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
The answer from the cons to working conditions people disagree with, be they salary, benefits, whatever, is always, "so quit and get another job".
Actually that "quit and get another job" came from a leftie with regards to mandatory flu shots by employers.
It depends on the issue here as to who says "quit and get another job".

Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Actually that "quit and get another job" came from a leftie with regards to mandatory flu shots by employers.
It depends on the issue here as to who says "quit and get another job".
Yes, a "leftie" said that on this thread. However, if poor working conditions, allowing smoking in a restaurant (which is more problematic for employees than patrons), low pay, lack of benefits, etc is ever brought up, the RWs join forces and say, "Quit and find another job".

Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Yes, a "leftie" said that on this thread. However, if poor working conditions, allowing smoking in a restaurant (which is more problematic for employees than patrons), low pay, lack of benefits, etc is ever brought up, the RWs join forces and say, "Quit and find another job".

Everyone uses quit and get another job.
Where I work, the boss just tells me to not touch my face and wash hands frequently.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM

468 posts, read 553,418 times
Thinking of getting FLU shot?

Activist Post: 5 Reasons Why I’ll Never Get a Flu Shot

Activist Post: Reuters Spins Flu Story

Activist Post: Say No to Thimerosal, Say No to the Flu Vaccine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies