Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He did it out of love, and they hated him for it, just like they hated Christ himself who preached the same message.
Jesus never said a word about homosexuality.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Simple solution to the problem: don't patronize this establishment. The LGBT have their own blogs and websites where they can publish critiques of establishments letting other members of their community know which are gay/lesbian friendly or not.

You might think it's a odd way of doing business, but I happen to have a gay friend who went to a well known restaurant with his friend, and they were pretty much harassed by the management. News of establishments such as these travels like wildfire, and alerts members of the LGBT community who is friendly and who is not.

In this case, this establishment shunned future customers, it's their loss. Money is still green, no matter who is spending it, and it pays the bills.
And that is exactly what is happening.

This sort of story also highlights just how incredibly hypocritical some of these so-called 'Christians' are who try to use 'religious beliefs' as an excuse for condemning and discriminating against gay and lesbian people. Many don't even have a clue what the Bible does or doesn't actually say about gay and lesbian people (nothing at all really) and don't have a clue (or choose to ignore) just how many of their Bible's commandments they themselves are breaking on a daily basis. Then they demand that gay and lesbian people should show them respect while they use their so-called 'religious beliefs' to demonize them.

As I've already mentioned, I have no issue with the majority of Christians who don't hypocritically and ignorantly abuse their Bible to condemn and discriminate against others.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If someone chooses to show their sexual lifestyles in public, they have to be willing to accept the consequences!
Holding hands is 'showing their sexual lifestyles in public'?

Are you married? Do you wear a ring? Then by your rationale, you are 'showing your sexual lifestyle in public'

Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend? Have you ever held their hand in public? Then clearly you are 'showing your sexual lifestyle in public'.

What consequences are you willing to accept for wearing a wedding ring or holding the hand of your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend in public? Verbal abuse? Bashing? Or a nasty little note from a bigot after you've just paid for a meal in their restaurant?

Last edited by Ceist; 01-13-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If someone chooses to show their sexual lifestyles in public, they have to be willing to accept the consequences!
Holding hands is showing a sexual lifestyle? Seriously?
Maybe heteros need to stop showing their sexual lifestyle too. It's not like they were having sex on the table.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Sting Ray Cafe - New Bern, NC

I wouldn't want this kind of publicity for my business.
I though this review was funny :

I didn't want to order shellfish, because the Bible strictly forbids eating any of that, but the whole entire menu is filled with Satan's Crustaceans!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Jesus never said a word about homosexuality.
I believe that Jesus would have said "Go and sin no more." As he had said to many of his disciples.

Sodomites were NOT seen as normal....due to health risks.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
He did it out of love, and they hated him for it, just like they hated Christ himself who preached the same message.
According to the gospels, Jesus Christ said not a word about lesbians or homosexuality or same-sex marriage, so what ''same message' are you talking about?

The only people Jesus got angry with were people who expressed views like yours and Harrier's.

If you read most of the reviews on Yelp about his restaurant now, there are plenty of people telling Mr McGovern just how many sins he is committing according to a literal reading of the Bible. By your rationale, they are being very 'loving'. At least they are being biblically correct, unlike Mr McGovern.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
WHAT? It is superbly amazing that people are able to twist a very clear sentence into something is isn't. My point, which everyone else understood, was that if he feels they are so bad and wrong then he shouldn't have served them in the first place. H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E
Perhaps it comes from lots of practice twisting biblical scripture to say something it didn't?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Long hair was frowned upon in Corinth, and brought dishonor because of their local customs, but Paul did not say it was sinful. It is not frowned upon in US, so it does not dishonor the person who has long hair.
Ah! Interesting. I was wonderingf when you were going to pull the 'original cultural context' card about that verse. I happen to agree with you that Paul didn't say long hair on men was sinful, just 'shameful and unnatural' in his local cultural context.

So you use scripture in it's original context when it suits you and throw the original context out the door when it doesn't suit you? You've just made that loud and clear.

Where, in the oriiginal Koine Greek language and first century cultural context, did Paul ever even mention homosexuals? Especially loving gay and lesbian couples as we know them today? Nowhere.

By the way, more than 50% of people in the US now approve of same-sex marriage and a higher percentage have no issue at all with gay and lesbian people being who they are. 'Local customs' are against your biblically unsupported views about 21st century gay and lesbian people.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 AM

420 posts, read 335,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Ritual sex acts were used for spiritual/religious experiences and to worship fertility gods and goddesses too in ancient times. It had to do with abundance of crops and fertility of livestock etc.
Yes, sex is an activity that consumes the body and mind. It transcends language; it is a pure method of communication, whereas language is clumsy in comparison. Sex is our most primal instinct, and thus, connects us with our spirituality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies