Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 PM

4,151 posts, read 4,169,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The payroll tax break that Obama gave everyone the past two years just expired. You had a tax break for two years, didn't you know that? Instead of complaining, you should be thanking Obama for it.
Payroll tax was 1% when it was started. Maybe they need to roll back these 'temporary' hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Texas, Virgina and PSAB

Yeah, I don't doubt it but they all are manipulating the American people to lean one way or another. Beleive it or not I'm not that great of an Obama fan, but I will defend him when waranted against some of the things that less knowledgable people post and those who just hate him for no real apparent reason.

It is not just Obama that is messing it up for everybody, the Congress and Senate and not to mention the Supremes have alot to do with it as well.

As a income maintenance worker, unfortunately I have to agree with you. There are some people that milk the system but they are few compared to those who rather work. I mentioned before that the way the system is set up it is hard to get off welfare when there are no jobs in your area and you still have to pay for childcare and transportation. A woman with one child gets 152.00 a month in cash and around 200.00 in food stamps, which is not a hell of money compared to the money corperations are getting that some of them really don't need. What makes me mad personally is that those (teaparty types) were directed their anger at the less fortunate with a wide brush at the direction of the koch brothers.
Yep the propaganda machines are running full time but unlike the Obama cult there are people who do think for ourselves. Too many are milking the system and now the "so called" needy got greedy! and bought Obama's lies of more freebies just like the middle class believed Obama when he said "the middle class will not have to pay another dime in taxes" I don't give a damn if it was a holiday, he lied to get their vote, people who can't take another hit. Obama conveniently ignored it and lied "not one more dime in taxes".

Obama doesn't know the difference between 200K and a millionaire and a billionaire. If he doesn't know the difference between those numbers how can we trust him to handle trillions.

Then I know people who are on welfare. They don't have the slightest interest in getting a job, they would rather suck the life out of other Americans and do drugs all day. That's fair? People who are working their azzes off hoping and praying that they can support their own family and some worry about making payroll.

Welfare lifers should have to work for what they get. I'm not talking about the sick, the disabled, military and the elderly, I'm talking about the too damn lazy. They should also have to take drug test if if positive no welfare for you. They have too much time on their times so they make more babies for the rest of us to support.

Now watch the welfare kings and queens defend themselves.

Last edited by petch751; 01-12-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
All the kooks who fell for the tax the evil rich game are now wondering what the hell happened. I'm sure it's Bush's fault in most of their minds.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
All the kooks who fell for the tax the evil rich game are now wondering what the hell happened. I'm sure it's Bush's fault in most of their minds.
The rich tax us all the time. What have happened? The rich cannot stop wanting to have even more. Bush, Obama or Mao. That's their nature to have more, don't worry, no matter the tax policy they will always bend you over and put your wage slaving arse to work.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,313 times
Just wait until they add up the millions of dollars in lost revenues for 2013 because of all of the CEOs who sold their stocks at the very end of 2012 to avoid the higher capital gains tax rates, another asinine tax, right alongside the 'death tax'.

Obama & Co. will be begging for yet ANOTHER tax hike come December when the actual revenues fall fall short of projections--we'll know plenty before 2013 is half over; count on it.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Wonder if I didn't get a raise because my evil "rich" boss got his taxes jacked up? And no I don't work for some huge corporation

Hard for me to guess, but my employer makes $3M a year and he practically NEVER gives anybody a raise

Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,584,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Hard for me to guess, but my employer makes $3M a year and he practically NEVER gives anybody a raise
You mean you (and others) make $3M for the guy and he doesn't share the spoils. After listening for talk radio, I got an impression that the rich give away salaries out of their own stash and kindness of their hearts.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The DJ is rocking, most corps are healthier than they have been for years, a pithy 2% is much ado about nothing.
Companies have used the bad economy to take advantage, I believe. Every year we receive an email about how well our company is doing ~ then, in the next breath, we receive our tiny to non-existant raise.

The 'payroll tax' holiday made people believe they were making more than they actually were and I believe some employers took advantage of this as well ~ when it came time to hand out raises.

The days of 5 to 10% raises have been gone in my industry for 15 years and I have to believe they aren't coming back ~ since employers have figured out people will work for less. Employers have also figured out they can do more with less and the jobs that started disappearing in 2007 - aren't coming back either.

Regardless of who is President, I see a few more years of hard times for the middle class.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 AM

657 posts, read 695,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Companies have used the bad economy to take advantage, I believe. Every year we receive an email about how well our company is doing ~ then, in the next breath, we receive our tiny to non-existant raise.

The 'payroll tax' holiday made people believe they were making more than they actually were and I believe some employers took advantage of this as well ~ when it came time to hand out raises.

The days of 5 to 10% raises have been gone in my industry for 15 years and I have to believe they aren't coming back ~ since employers have figured out people will work for less. Employers have also figured out they can do more with less and the jobs that started disappearing in 2007 - aren't coming back either.

Regardless of who is President, I see a few more years of hard times for the middle class.
Think there is a mis-conception about raises. You are right, companies are not giving good raises, but the question is why.

I'm going to take a guess and say it has to do with the pool of candidates to pick from, and a depressed economy for the last 4 years. One dow..

Why is the economy bad? Well, bad economy normally occur when there is a mis-allocation of capital. For instace there is lower demand for homes, so capital investment should move away from homes to something else. But, since the government has made it a priority to back-stop homeowners, here we are. The same happens at a much larger level, in gloal trade. Companies that moved overseas to take advantage of margins, begin to see their margins become thinner. But not to worry, since the government needs to spend another trillion and since we have the reserve currency, all they have to do is print the trillion which forces the value of the dollar down and voila, the company that was thinking of bringing operations back to the US no longer has to. Their margins are restored once again. So, more spending = bad economy = no jobs. And the worst part is that the longer these industries remain abroad, the less skilled we become. Gold would have forced this re-adjustment a long time ago.

This also explains why the economy has not recovered and will likely never recover. Everyone wants a better economy, better wages, better jobs, but almost no-one wants to stop government spending.

So yes, the government can change this. But the change has to come from us first. Don't expect the president and congress to make tough choices, especially when we are making it clear we don't want them. It's directly our fault.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That's the mantra....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies