Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Prostitution and Monogamy are not incompatible.

But I agree, telling us who we can have sex with is not a government responsibility.

There should be no laws regarding adult prostitution.
If you had a daughter and she wanted to be a prostitute you would have no problem with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you had a daughter and she wanted to be a prostitute you would have no problem with that?
I'd be just as disappointed as if my daughter wanted to be cleaning lady. But what can you do?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Your stereotype is just that, a stereotype. Either post some facts or at least anecdotal first hand stories.
Oh c'mon, don't act naive. It's probably a lot closer to reality than many of the over-blown fantasies in this thread --- haven't you ever seen the nightly news or TV documentaries about the sex trade? Or ever read about all the prostitutes who have been found murdered? Like the victims of the Long Island serial killer, who were all young women (and one man) who advertised themselves for sexual services on sites like Craigslist.

http://www.polarisproject.org/human-...t-prostitution

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki..._US&PageId=218

Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM

19,635 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'd be just as disappointed as if my daughter wanted to be cleaning lady. But what can you do?
I would feel sorry for your daughter if you don't make a distinction between those things for her. There is nothing wrong with being a cleaning person - some people make good money working for themselves cleaning homes and they don't have to have sex with strangers. I'm sorry there is no difference to you that you would see that = your child being a prostitute.

That is what happens when these things are normalized, you have people, even parents accepting prostitution as equal or preferred to other types of work.

The next step is rape not being that bad, since our bodies aren't that sacred.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:34 AM

The average age for girls entering prostitution is between 12-13. And studies show that 75 to 95% of all prostitutes were sexually abused as children.

Women in prostitution have a death rate that is 40 times higher than women who are not involved in prostitution.

Sexual harassment, verbal abuse, stalking, rape, battering and torture are all types of violence that prostituted women regularly experience.

WomensLaw.org | Prostitution

Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I would feel sorry for your daughter if you don't make a distinction between those things for her. There is nothing wrong with being a cleaning person - some people make good money working for themselves cleaning homes and they don't have to have sex with strangers. I'm sorry there is no difference to you that you would see that = your child being a prostitute.

That is what happens when these things are normalized, you have people, even parents accepting prostitution as equal or preferred to other types of work.

Servicing people sexually and servicing people in terms of cleaning are equally bad in my book. I wouldn't want my daughter involved in either.

It's not equal to all types of other work. Certainly working in medicine, finance, technology, etc is preferred and wouldn't be heartbreaking.

The problem with rape is that there is no agreement. It's extremely sad that you can't see the difference between rape and prostitution.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

CONSENT. Rape does not involve CONSENT.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post

Because women are all stupid and weak and they need to be protected from themselves, right?

?
No, because they are young and inexperienced and don't yet fully understand the consequences of their actions. Because they are young and inexperienced and often mistake legal for right. Prostitution should remain illegal. Using women in this manner is wrong. It takes a sick individual to do so.

This is not some glamorous life we're talking about here. Have you even looked at what life is like for the average prostitute?

This is a decision that has lifelong repercussions that cannot be taken back. Yes, I think young women should be protected but not because I think they're stupid, rather, because I think they're worth it. I think they have value as human beings. Prostitution devalues them as human beings. It turns a person into a sex toy. I think our daughters are worth more than that. As prostitutes they would be used until they were no longer pretty enough and then discarded and new younger recruits brought in. Why would anyone want to make using our daughters in this way legal? Of what value to society would this be?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The average age for girls entering prostitution is between 12-13. And studies show that 75 to 95% of all prostitutes were sexually abused as children.

Women in prostitution have a death rate that is 40 times higher than women who are not involved in prostitution.

Sexual harassment, verbal abuse, stalking, rape, battering and torture are all types of violence that prostituted women regularly experience.

WomensLaw.org | Prostitution
Children cannot consent to sex. Adults can.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
Oh yes, the naive little women must all save their bodies for their future husbands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies