Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,309 times

Advertisements

A person can go to a bar and give it away to every one who wants to have sex and its OK. But throw in money and its illegal. This is stupid. You can not legislate morality. If somoene wants to sell it I say let them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
One way or the other, you pay.
There's no such thing as a free pie?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Both can leave a person emotionally scared for life. Aggravated assault can leave a victim physically disabled.
I don't see why. If a man is assaulted, he can just pay it back and he will feel good again. Whether it's a normal assault or a "rape." All he has to do is find the guy who did it, and assault him or "rape" him until he is even in his mind.

Now a woman can't really "rape" a man back though she can be physically violent. That wouldn't matter that much in certain places where her honor is ruined forever. You have to remember why these laws came into existence in the first place, and they came up in a much different time with a much different mentality. If we treat the sexes as equal, and if we don't assign any honor or shame to the past, then rape really isn't different than assault.

No you didn't say it, but I'm following your logic and worldview to her logical conclusion.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Prostitution seems to be about as natural as it gets, yet we have many laws that interfere with this.

Messing with nature usually causes problems in the long run, so is there any sense in maintaining the charade of monogamy in the 21st century?
Craigslist, get anything you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
A person can go to a bar and give it away to every one who wants to have sex and its OK. But throw in money and its illegal. This is stupid. You can not legislate morality. If somoene wants to sell it I say let them.
Money speaks louder than words, ask Bill Clinton if you don't believe me.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
The probelm that I have with Protitution is where do these people come from? All of them were not adults that decided to make alot of money by selling themselves. Many of them were runaways, forced drug addicts and sex slaves that were forced into that type of lifestyle. If normal well adjusted women and men decided to sell themselves, I would not have a probelm with it. Unfortunately this is far from the norm, the majority of these "workers" have some serious personal demons that they need to work out.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Prostitution seems to be about as natural as it gets, yet we have many laws that interfere with this.

Messing with nature usually causes problems in the long run, so is there any sense in maintaining the charade of monogamy in the 21st century?

It is always very dangerous to take man made situations and apply the idea that xyz is natural. Usually this point is made to suggest that nothing can be done to stop this natural thing even if it hurts a lot of people. I reject that idea.

Also, a lot of prostitution involves slavery. It involves forcing women and children to perform sexually for men through force and financial depravation.
There's nothing natural about those conditions.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is always very dangerous to take man made situations and apply the idea that xyz is natural. Usually this point is made to suggest that nothing can be done to stop this natural thing even if it hurts a lot of people. I reject that idea.

Also, a lot of prostitution involves slavery. It involves forcing women and children to perform sexually for men through force and financial depravation.
There's nothing natural about those conditions.
A guy once told me that every atrocity and crime that exists is because it is human nature to do them.

His proof?

Humans do it.

Elephants don't rob banks, humans do.

Elephants don't rape other elephants, only a human would rape an elephant.

Probably think of it as a Trophy Wife.

Last edited by Statutory Ape; 01-21-2013 at 05:58 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
A guy once told me that every atrocity and crime that exists is because it is human nature to do them.

His proof?

Humans do it.

Elephants don't rob banks, humans do.

Elephants don't rape other elephants, only a human would rape an elephant.

This is simplistic. Human behavior is not just in response to human nature.

If this were true every human society ever formed would have the exact same culture. Every society would have the exact same level of the range of human behaviors. As objective reality this is not true.

So human behavior is impacted by the physical environment, which then influences the culture that rises, which then influences human behavior.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM

438 posts, read 946,921 times
= My various reactions whilst reading this thread.

I do think prostitution should be legalized, though heavily regulated. While I personally would find it a soul-crushing experience, other women (and men) are free to make their own choices and do with their own bodies as they see fit. If it isn't illegal to have sex for free with anybody and everybody, then why should receiving compensation for it be criminalized?

The thread did bring up a number of good points (occassionally). Trafficking of women and exploitation of minors would still be a concern. Poor women might be pressured into taking such jobs. The amount that prostitutes can charge for services would probably go down as more establishments popped up and competed. Most problematic would be societal acceptance of the practice. I wouldn't want future generations growing up thinking it was fine and dandy to treat other people as disposable sex objects instead of as human beings. Not that it doesn't happen already, but what sort of view of women might that encourage? I get the argument against it. Nevertheless, I think personal freedoms should win out.

The weird marital rape thing that came up...ugh.
Wives do not belong to their husbands. No. Just...no. If a woman does not want sex, it is NOT OKAY for her husband to force her. Who would do that??? The level of disrespect and misogyny in that idea is so repugnant.

And rape would be worse than an assault, IMHO. Assault can't impregnate you or give you lifelong diseases, for instance. Not to mention people will play the blame game.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
The weird marital rape thing that came up...ugh.
Wives do not belong to their husbands.
In a marriage, both of your bodies belong to each other. This is not a misogynist statement, this is a statement about marriage. The wive is also entitled to sex, unfortunately for her it's harder to force a man but if she did, I wouldn't consider that "rape" either. Like I keep saying, if you don't want to share your body with your husband, don't get married. Keep on living with him as boyfriend and girlfriend.

If a husband (or wife for that matter) were to start a bank account intended for only their use, and the wife was to somehow gain access and withdraw money, that wouldn't be stealing. Even if it was against the husband's permission. When you're married everything is shared, even income and your boides. If that sounds too extreme, don't get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies