Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM

49 posts, read 38,218 times

Advertisements

Can't wait to see all the n-bombs being dropped to show how tolerant right wingers really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Shuckin and jivin is racist?.
Absolutely. As is anyone who would use the term.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Oh really? Name them. Everybody knows what it means. It's hardly a non-racist term.
Maybe for people above a certain age group it is. I've never heard it used in a racist way.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
To the contrary, Colin Powell probably cut his career short by speaking up. But that's not the story here. Do you agree with him or not? He even gave an example of the behavior he speaks of...
He retired from public service about 10 years ago, chief. I don't disagree with him; all I'm saying is he tends to criticize things in which he has a unique ability to criticize years after doing so would've hurt his career.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Absolutely. As is anyone who would use the term.
So it is..
Shuckin' and jivin' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
I don't disagree with him.
Nor do I. He also happens to be a long-time GOP supporter and voter disenfranchised by the radical bent of the party the past 5 plus years.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Nor do I. He also happens to be a long-time GOP supporter and voter disenfranchised by the radical bent of the party the past 5 plus years.
That makes it worse. At some point he had to have started wondering why he was the only brother in the room, like in the 1970s. Shoot, back when daddy Bush was running for president he had to have run into Lee Atwater once or twice and figured out then what the score was. But no, he kept his mouth shut all those years because otherwise he'd have been out on his tuchus.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
That makes it worse. At some point he had to have started wondering why he was the only brother in the room, like in the 1970s. Shoot, back when daddy Bush was running for president he had to have run into Lee Atwater once or twice and figured out then what the score was. But no, he kept his mouth shut all those years because otherwise he'd have been out on his tuchus.
Bush 43's superb relationship with the Latino community gave many of us some hope that the GOP was widening its tent. Then the racist redneck fringe came, and all such gains were lost. So now, many of us will happily watch them wither and die, with a new, more inclusive GOP rising from the ashes many years up the road.

Without the full support of Establishment Repubs, independents are not possible, and volla, 2012 style shellackings happen. A few of those, and the Establishment regains full control, kicking out those who hijacked their vision.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Maybe for people above a certain age group it is. I've never heard it used in a racist way.
Safe to say that Sarah Palin is in that age group. As an example, we are taught that we're not to say "in a coon's age." Can't tell you how many times that I heard my grandmother say that phrase just like she'd say "colored" instead of "black" when referring to black people. Even though "in a coon's age" did not originate as a racist term, it is perceived to be racist. A shrewd politician like Palin knows that she can appeal with craven dog whistle "racist" terms to win approval from that racist demographic of the repub party.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
He retired from public service about 10 years ago, chief. I don't disagree with him; all I'm saying is he tends to criticize things in which he has a unique ability to criticize years after doing so would've hurt his career.
Most of his public service years were spent in the US military [non-partisan, non-political]. Other than his time in Bush's cabinet were else did he serve? His political career was just starting when his outspokenness, and other things derailed it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies