Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:02 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

We register our cars. We register our houses. We register ourselves with our social security numbers, passport numbers, and driver's licenses. We register our finances. We register pretty much EVERYTHING in our lives, and no one is making a big deal about it or taking it away. Registering firearms is not so drastically different.
Yes, but five wrongs doesn't make a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
So much for the argument that having a gun "protects" you from the bad guys.

I don't think anybody said having a gun at home protects you while you are away. If you think so, you're pretty dumb.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
We register our cars. We register our houses. We register ourselves with our social security numbers, passport numbers, and driver's licenses. We register our finances. We register pretty much EVERYTHING in our lives, and no one is making a big deal about it or taking it away. Registering firearms is not so drastically different.
Everything you register with a governmental agency can be taken from you by said agency. Never register your dogs or firearms as both can be taken from you.

This is especially a good tip if you are the owner of a pit bull. If the police want to suspect your dog for something they know where to go. The same goes for guns.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Registration is basically just listing at gun shop. Normally they need date to even look it up at most. then it give no clue except that person once bought that gun. The history form there become hard to establish .The anti-gun people where more interested in the waiting period than registration so fought a computerized instant check and keeping of records.Ask any police when they try to trace a gun bought who know where.I most cases they don't bother because it yields no information needed in court since they have the gun normally.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
It sounds like productive steps to prevent this type of abuse is in motion -
Another way to keep gun ownership private is to not register the gun.

All it actually does is give the government a place to start when they decide to confiscate all privately held weapons. Look at what is being attempted in New York, the letters being sent to gun owners requiring them to surrender their weapons.

IMO the less the government knows about private citizens, the better for our freedom.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:27 AM

29,438 posts, read 14,623,440 times
When purchasing new I didn't know you had a choice ? At least here in MI, handguns are registered no matter what and long guns /shotguns if purchased new from a retail store or gun dealer get tracked. They might not be registered but they can be tracked down to you.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Why? How does gun registration fix anything? Please explain in your own words.
When I registered my Glock with the NYC Police, I seem to remember them taking a firing sample. If the gun was later used in a crime, they can use forensics to track the weapon.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Think how many people would be instant felons if some of the @#$ laws passed recently in CA. According to some knuckleheads they want to see a bunch of 70-80 year old "felons" rot in prison until they die because they didn't know their old rusty Deer rifle all of a sudden became an "assault weapon". Thank God I don't have that kind of fear over a piece of metal.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Everything you register with a governmental agency can be taken from you by said agency. Never register your dogs or firearms as both can be taken from you.

This is especially a good tip if you are the owner of a pit bull. If the police want to suspect your dog for something they know where to go. The same goes for guns.
And when caught with an unregistered firearm you belong in prison like the common criminal you are. At least, that is my position. Sadly, we are not there yet but I hope we will eventually be in a position where gun owners are legally required to be responsible for their weapons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies