Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:33 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
As much as I think the News paper editor should be locked up, how do we know the burglary was the result of the publicized address. I'll hold judgement until then. If it turns out they did target because of the Newspaper, they should sue them out and the editor out into the street.

*******ian Totalitarianism. Gotta love that.

I agree with you for now. I will resolve judgement till more information comes out on this case. If however it turns out, the home was hit because of the publicized address, those responsible should be held acountable for this. Did this paper really think that this sort of thing could not happen, foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
There is a website where someone has posted whom has handgun permits in two counties (I think it is Westchester, Rockland ) in New York. Newspaper sparks outrage for publishing names, addresses of gun permit holders - CNN.com This is NOT bright even though the poster claims it is all legal as it is public record. In that same vein why doesn't someone post all the recipients of welfare, or social security or unemployment or all same sex marriages and their address as well. Just because it is public record does not mean we should post it on the net or in a newspaper. What you are telling the "bad guys" out there is "Hey, if you need a gun, here are the houses to burglarize".

Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Let's see, the chances of getting killed in your home by intruders is about as likely as getting hit by lightning so maybe you should go through life with insulated boots on?

The chances of someone dying of a heart attack in your home are something like 1000X more likely to happen than getting shot by an intruder. So do you keep a heart defibulator in your house because that would be a far better insurance on someone dying in your house than a gun by far.

It's just mathematics.
Keeping a defib unit at home is actually a good idea. Also, chewable aspirin. Some of us believe in preventative measures or being prepared for different scenarios. Check the smoke alarms, do preventative home and car maintenance, etc. Having a reliable weapon on hand is just another part of that. Not paranoia, just smart.

I never expected a long term power outage and chaos at the stores either, but it happened a few years ago. Toward the end people were stealing generators and chasing power company trucks throwing rocks at them like cavemen. That was just a power outage.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
This is odd. I distinctly remember none other than John Lott once stating that the greatest deterrent against home burglaries/invasions was a belief that the homeowners are armed.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have been hearing this thing reported on Fox all day and they keep saying that the gun safe was "molested" but without success. The newspaper did cause the burglary but they weren't successful in getting the gun away from a legal owner.
How did they determine that the newspaper add caused the burglary, seems a bit premature, or is it possible that Fox is specualting as hard as it is to imagine.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How did they determine that the newspaper add caused the burglary, seems a bit premature, or is it possible that Fox is specualting as hard as it is to imagine.

BREAKING NEWS: ATTEMPTED GUN BURGLARY TIED TO JOURNAL NEWS GUN MAPS | New York State Senate

"It is reported that the burglar used The Journal News’ interactive gun map to target a home included on the map. Luckily the gun was locked up and no one was hurt."

Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
BREAKING NEWS: ATTEMPTED GUN BURGLARY TIED TO JOURNAL NEWS GUN MAPS | New York State Senate

"It is reported that the burglar used The Journal News’ interactive gun map to target a home included on the map. Luckily the gun was locked up and no one was hurt."

No statement by the burglar, just speculation, so now every burglar that invades a home with a gun , which are many, it's because of the map. Rampant speculation at this point.

Quote:

“The Journal News has placed the lives of these folks at risk by creating a virtual shopping list for criminals and nut jobs. If the connection is proven, this is further proof that these maps are not only an invasion of privacy but that they present a clear and present danger to law-abiding, private citizens. Former convicts have already testified to the usefulness of the asinine Journal News ‘gun maps’ yet the reckless editors are evidently willing to roll the dice, gambling with the lives of innocent local homeowners,” said Senator Greg Ball.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
I did call several of those numbers. Most went straight to voice mail. I did get a hold of few people who hung immediately when I told them I did not like what I did. If I was in NY, I would knock on their doors. I urge patriotic NY residents to knock on their doors. Hell, knock on their door in the middle of the night.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have been hearing this thing reported on Fox all day and they keep saying that the gun safe was "molested" but without success. The newspaper did cause the burglary but they weren't successful in getting the gun away from a legal owner.
No the government caused it with it's unreasonable "permit" on an inalienable right...

Get rid of the permit and the problem is solved...

Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Sue on what grounds? The newspaper published public information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies