Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
See my comments in red
Don't get to shook up.... grabbers tend to be very slow minded people. They are usually unable to think, let alone do anything, deductive reasoning,etc, which 'somebody else' usually has to tell them.

They may never understand that the Govt can not take inalienable rights.....

All one can do is repeat this ad nauseum in the hope that one day many years from now dumb gun grabber will get it ........ The govt can not take inalienable rights.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 01-14-2013 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The senate is currently 53 dems, 45 reps and 2 independants.

File:113th United States Congress Senators.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Montana, New Mexico, Minnesota, MI and WV total to 10 dem senators.

AK, ND, SD, LA, AR, MO and a few others have 1 dem senator.

Pretty much, there are 16+ dem senators in states where support for significant gun control will put them at serious risk of re-election.

Basically, I just don't see the support for the initiative and you can already see the writing on the wall by having Biden spear-head the initiative so as not to link Obama or others to it so firmly.

The same is of course true for the republicans. No one can tell me that a senator from say....Idaho....can back major gun reforms and keep thier seat.

You guys can bicker back and forth with your partisan blinders on about gun grabs, civil war and how the dems are going to fix this but the writing is already on the wall. Biden is going to be the patsy for this failure to act.
My, how reassuring.

Just one problem.

All those things (and more) were true about the House and Senate, when Obamacare was being debated, too.

And Obamacare was passed ANYWAY.

And a lot of those at-risk House and Senate members got booted out at the next election, as they deserved.

But we still got Obamacare ANYWAY.

Is there any reason to think we won't get the same old restrictions and gun bans passed, ANYWAY, too? And maybe with a few more 2nd Amendment violations tossed in for good measure, ANYWAY?

And then... we already saw the Supreme Court simply reach into the Obamacare bill and change the language that said "penalties", to "taxes" (who knew the Supreme Court had the authority to rewrite acts of Congress?)... and then declare their rewritten bill "Constitutional".

No, I'm not joking... and neither were they, hard as it was to tell. They actually DID this already.

Is there any reason to think they won't simply take the coming gun bans, announce that "ban" really means "reasonable restriction", and the word "confiscate" really means "take for public use with just compensation"... and then declare this new version equally "Constitutional"?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That is not my understanding. Police want to see illegal guns off the streets.
Most knee-jerk calls for gun control are aimed at law abiding citizens.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
My, how reassuring.

Just one problem.

All those things (and more) were true about the House and Seante, when Obamacare was being debated, too.

And a lot of those at-risk House and Senate members got booted out at the next election.

Is there any reason to think we won't get the same old restrictions and gun bans passed, ANYWAY, too? And maybe with a few more 2nd Amendment violations tossed in for good measure, ANYWAY?

And then... we already saw the Supreme Court simply reach into the Obamacare bill and change the language that said "penalties", to "taxes" (who knew the Supreme Court had the authority to rewrite acts of Congress?)... and then declare their rewritten bill "Constitutional".

No, I'm not joking... and neither were they, hard as it was to tell. They actually DID this already.

Is there any reason to think they won't simply take the coming gun bans, announce that "ban" really means "reasonable restriction", and the word "confiscate" really means "take for public use with just compensation"... and then declare this new version equally "Constitutional"?
Just curious.... Who would you think could enforce this?

I just can't think of anyone who could expect Home Land Security and TSA, both of whom wouldn't last a week going door to door..

The first thing I will do is print and pass out more Public Law 93-579 forms
http://www.llsdc.org/attachments/wys.../PL093-579.pdf

I think you should too .....

So far not one public servant has filled in the form and come back........ Not one. I like the never come back part too

Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
I think they could actually get something passed if they come up with something that could conceivably have prevented the Sandy hook shooting. For example, it turns out that Lanza (like virtually all of the other similar shooters) was on an anti-psychotic SSRI.
Adam Lanza Taking Antipsychotics - Business Insider

If they could tweak the NICS check such that SSRI patients would be denied guns (and counselling for family members who might have guns), even the NRA would support that, and it would sail thru. In fact if gun control advocates don't come up with such a proposal, to me it would suggest that they positively don't want to solve the problem.

If they keep pushing the assault weapon ban, which would do nothing, that just adds more fuel.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Don't get to shook up.... grabbers tend to be very slow minded people. They are usually unable to think, let alone do anything, deductive reasoning,etc, which 'somebody else' usually has to tell them.

They may never understand that the Govt can not take inalienable rights.....

All one can do is repeat this ad nauseum in the hope that one day many years from now dumb gun grabber will get it ........ The govt can not take inalienable rights.
Obama can EO all he wants and it won't bring 200 million unregistered weapons to the surface. He can ban all guns and it won't bring even a portion of them in. What's he going to do with 100 million new "criminals" he's created by labeling them so? Ha, it's hilarious.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Obama can EO all he wants and it won't bring 200 million unregistered weapons to the surface. He can ban all guns and it won't bring even a portion of them in. What's he going to do with 100 million new "criminals" he's created by labeling them so? Ha, it's hilarious.
You Sir are correct..........

i searched and finally found the reason grabbers are the way grabbers are.....

Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
We don't need to be so defeatist. ACT. Let your members of congress know that you support sensible gun control legislation. The following website, which is partnering with the Mayors Against Illegal Guns alliance lets you send a message to your legislators with the click of a mouse:

ACT. Do something.

Demand a Plan - Home
Yeah, that worked so well with TARP!

Clue: Your rep couldn't care less what you think. All that mouse click gets you is your IP tracked by the government.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I think they could actually get something passed if they come up with something that could conceivably have prevented the Sandy hook shooting. For example, it turns out that Lanza (like virtually all of the other similar shooters) was on an anti-psychotic SSRI.
Adam Lanza Taking Antipsychotics - Business Insider

If they could tweak the NICS check such that SSRI patients would be denied guns (and counselling for family members who might have guns), even the NRA would support that, and it would sail thru. In fact if gun control advocates don't come up with such a proposal, to me it would suggest that they positively don't want to solve the problem.

If they keep pushing the assault weapon ban, which would do nothing, that just adds more fuel.
Now that's interesting.........

Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
My, how reassuring.

Just one problem.

All those things (and more) were true about the House and Senate, when Obamacare was being debated, too.

And a lot of those at-risk House and Senate members got booted out at the next election, as they deserved.

Guns have a much stronger rural demographic base than the topic of healthcare. It's just not a comparable topic.

If you would like to show some attitude polls on healthcare and gun control by state I would be happy to discuss them.

P.S. You don't read the writing on the wall of Biden "leading" this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies