Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
I do see your point Mr. XXX I really REALLY do, but how do you know they are Obama supporters?
Quote:
There are Republicans on welfare
as well, and they aren't senior citizens, disabled, or retired vets. From both sides there are people who feel entitled to everything, but that's the government period, the people who hold seats at the Senate believe they are entitled to a raise to their already six figured salary, that the state in which they "represent" should pay for their housing, for their children's private schooling, for their cars, to get discounts and incentives on their very livelihood, yet I am supposed to get mad at the poor for doing this? Basically they are doing what the people who we have voted into office are doing, only the poor are getting a bad rap for it. Even if no one was on any type of welfare, the government will still rape the ish out of my paycheck and leave me scrapping up the scraps, so they can have money to play with and give these big corporations, banks, and to the legislature branches.
Most republicans iI know work to pay taxes to support the Obama supporters on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The web is full of apocryphal stories like yours. $309 doesn't seem outrageous for a large family. How many folks are in your family again? How many in the family checking out? The price tag means nothing without knowing that. How did you even know it was EBT?
Family size is very relevant, i'm glad you brought that up. A $309 grocery tab could feed how many people? Certainly more than two adults and two children. Oh wait...that's right.....there's only one parent in a majority of cases!! So why are these people popping out kids if they can't afford to feed them?

Welfare Statists will lose EVERY argument when it comes to government handouts because of the Personal Responsibility Deficit™ that is perpetuated by your ideology. For every anecdotal sad sob story you can crank out, I can point to two worthless, lazy American's sucking on the government teet. Just because you fail to notice or acknowledge these people doesn't mean they don't exist in abundance.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
I feel pity for them. Unless they are using the assistance as a way to kick off on their on and not just a permanent thing (I have no problem with that since I too have found myself relying on government at times of need). It also enrages me as well, but then sometimes I admire them that they have found a way to not do anything and get almost everything handed to them, however I still pity them because most of them will never have anything else than what they have now; while I am going and doing things with my life, they are stuck in a box that they don't even want to get out of. They've given up on life, and can't see any hope beyond what they have and they are trapped.
Yep, must suck to have no ambtion in life, and be satisfied with very little.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post

As she paid with her EBT card, .....
I don't remember the last time I purchased groceries with cash. I use my credit card for everything.
Last year, a guy behind me in line noticed me swiping my card and muttered something about how it must be nice to be on the dole. I ignored him. What other people think and say does not define me.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Family size is very relevant, i'm glad you brought that up. A $309 grocery tab could feed how many people? Certainly more than two adults and two children. Oh wait...that's right.....there's only one parent in a majority of cases!! So why are these people popping out kids if they can't afford to feed them?

Welfare Statists will lose EVERY argument when it comes to government handouts because of the Personal Responsibility Deficitâ„¢ that is perpetuated by your ideology. For every anecdotal sad sob story you can crank out, I can point to two worthless, lazy American's sucking on the government teet. Just because you fail to notice or acknowledge these people doesn't mean they don't exist in abundance.
How many days were they buying for? Did they pay the entire bill in EBT? How would you have known unless you were invading their space?

You've spent your time making 3,700 posts on this site in 9 months. And you want to lecture people on personal responsibility and good uses of resources?

Your story is the definition of anecdotal. No one denies that some people abuse the system. Most people don't obsess over it, because it's a minuscule part of the problem.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
As my wife and I struggle to pay the monthly mortgage and our daughter's college, I'm left wondering why others don't have to be responsible for their own lives.

I was at the supermarket this past weekend, and was in line behind two full shopping carts full of racks of ribs, tenderloins, pork chops, soda, a ton of junk food, ribeyes, and a tons of other stuff totaling out to over $800. As she paid with her EBT card, I couldn’t help but wonder what it feels like to be able to buy as much top dollar food as you want with redistributed money of others, or if that would even cross the mind.

Does our current system give people any reason to stop taking advantage, stop having kids they can’t pay for, to be thankful for what they are given, or encourage them to get off the system to support their own existence? I’m talking about the leaches, not the vets, retirees, or handicapped, so keep that in mind.

Save the BS, I don’t feel like arguing about how heartless I am or people who are critical of our failed systems are. I don’t need to hear sad stories, I’ve experienced my own. I just want to know what you think about our welfare system, and its contribution to our entitlement society and the debt.

Is there any hope for our society or have we finally lost the country to the "give me free stuff crowd"..
This is another reason why work. I am thinking to move back to NYC, find an apt, find a cash job and apply welfare.

Section 8 will pay for my rent
A family of 4 get about 500 in food stamp per month.
Free child care. I was actually told they government will pay me to put the child in day care. Even better
Free medical and dental
I am pretty sure there will be free money. Going to dial 311 for the local friend social worker.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Life is good when poor people eat better than the working people that pay their bills !!!

Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Welfare Statists will lose EVERY argument when it comes to government handouts because of the Personal Responsibility Deficitâ„¢ that is perpetuated by your ideology. For every anecdotal sad sob story you can crank out, I can point to two worthless, lazy American's sucking on the government teet. Just because you fail to notice or acknowledge these people doesn't mean they don't exist in abundance.
What is odd about some of this is that some want to defund planned parenthood, the supplier of birth contraception to poor women, if that stops, the only method of contraception left for a woman would be an aspirin.

Santorum Backer Friess Suggests "Aspirin Between Their Knees" As Contraception - YouTube

Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
This is another reason why work. I am thinking to move back to NYC, find an apt, find a cash job and apply welfare.

Section 8 will pay for my rent
A family of 4 get about 500 in food stamp per month.
Free child care. I was actually told they government will pay me to put the child in day care. Even better
Free medical and dental
I am pretty sure there will be free money. Going to dial 311 for the local friend social worker.

Go ahead and do that then you can report back to us how much fun your having especially living in nyc where the price for a metrocard is going up, the price of food is going up, and rent ?? please even with section 8 you still have to pay rent they just place you somewhere where you don't have to pay as much. But if you don't mind living in the projects than have at it

Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
How many days were they buying for? Did they pay the entire bill in EBT? How would you have known unless you were invading their space?

You've spent your time making 3,700 posts on this site in 9 months. And you want to lecture people on personal responsibility and good uses of resources?

Your story is the definition of anecdotal. No one denies that some people abuse the system. Most people don't obsess over it, because it's a minuscule part of the problem.
Now I get it. I completely understand why you have no problem spending other people's money. Why would you ever care about a $309 food stamp purchase when you believe that $7.5 BILLION in known welfare fraud every decade is "miniscule?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies