Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Oh... you poor thing. The founding father's didn't put it on the money, they never even made it part of the government. It was put on US coins in 1864, and on paper currency in 1957. It was made that national motto in 1956, replacing E Plubiris Unum, which was the motto the founding fathers actually used.

As to why it should be removed, a little thing called separation of church and state. This is the government making it's motto a religious motto, which is unconstitutional. Really, does this bother me that much? No. However, I see some problems. Many people seem to belief the US was founded on Christianity. This is not the case... at all. Having 'in God we trust' all over the place only reaffirms this false idea of history, which is bad. The government needs to change the motto back to E Plubiris Unum and discontinue putting 'In God we trust' on any US currency to remain true to the constitution.

On a side note, it bugs me that Republicans aren't agreeing with this, despite their claims of staying true to the constitution.
Oleg Bach is clearly not from the US. You cannot expect foreigners to be as educated as people who went to school in the US in regards to US history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 06:44 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What does it matter to you if God is mentioned on the money? It has no effect on you what so ever...I am getting tired of these God haters.....Those that hate God the most have the least spiritual education...They do not even KNOW why "In God we trust" is the herald on the money....Explain to me now why the founding fathers put that on money.....You don't know do you....YET you want it removed?
Errrrr,.... It wasn't " the founding fathers" who put it on the dollar bill, but it happened during the Eisenhower era.

Seems to me that your knowledge of history requires some adjustment .

Old 09-22-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Errrrr,.... It wasn't " the founding fathers" who put it on the dollar bill, but it happened during the Eisenhower era.

Seems to me that your knowledge of history requires some adjustment .
See my previous post. We have many foreigners in the US that are not familiar with the history of our nation.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
See my previous post. We have many foreigners in the US that are not familiar with the history of our nation.
I'm one of those ' furriners'

Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I'm one of those ' furriners'
And I respect that you're educated about US history. Clearly, not everyone is. Oleg Bach, for example...

Old 09-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
And I respect that you're educated about US history. Clearly, not everyone is. Oleg Bach, for example...
I think I have been in about 36 States now... can probably name the capital of most of them.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I think I have been in about 36 States now... can probably name the capital of most of them.
We are taught them in school so anyone who went to school here would know all 50. But 36 isn't bad.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
We can't trust the value of the dollar.. after all Obama is still printing borrowed money at 85 billion dollars a month indefinitely and buying toxic assets..foreclosures off the books of the banks.... the credit card of the American people will have to pay it.. I don't think we can so we will all be poor or bankrupt. So we better trust God because the money is not trustworthy.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
We can't trust the value of the dollar.. after all Obama is still printing borrowed money at 85 billion dollars a month indefinitely and buying toxic assets..foreclosures off the books of the banks.... the credit card of the American people will have to pay it.. I don't think we can so we will all be poor or bankrupt. So we better trust God because the money is not trustworthy.
That's a pessimistic view. We've come back from worse debt before and we can do it again.

While the value of the dollar may be shrinking, it still has some tangible value... which places it at a value higher than god.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Oh...

On a side note, it bugs me that Republicans aren't agreeing with this, despite their claims of staying true to the constitution.
Most regular Republicans don't give a flying f*** about this ... It's the religious right wing dingbats that make it an issue ..

Come to think of it, Most regular Democrats don't give a flying F*** about it either ... It's the daisey-do-gooder-got-nothing-to-do-but-complain-about-everything left wing extremist fanatics that make it an issue ...

Americans don't worry about this stuff in other words --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies