Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You are asking a BS question. Liberals have very little to do with the state the country is in. What Bush did to this country fiscally is a disaster that we are still feeling and I don't know when we will get out of it.

Where is all the money his rich buddies packed away that he gave them during his presidency? Probably sitting in the Cayman Islands or Switzerland.
I am asking THE QUESTION. I am not seeking blame. The only posts so far have deflected the question and sought to blame Bush. Let us blame "society" and make it easier for liberals, such that they can focus on the question, or simply assume and agree that Bush IS TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING. Now, we can concentrate on the problem at hand- How much debt is too much?

We are faced with a current debt of $16.5 trillion. The president and the Senate want to increase the debt limit. That is what the "fiscal cliff" discussion concerns.

How much debt is too much?

When we reach "too much", what do we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
I think the liberals would say you could never be too much in debt because you have a printing press.

I noticed how many of the left answered your question with "But the Republicans.....".

Debt doesn't seem to bother the left.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
Quote:
Why are you asking "liberals" (Democrats).

Check what your Republican presidents have been doing to the country.
Your nifty graph ends with '06. We're six years down the road beyond that. Would you post a graph for the last 6 years, please?

In fact, let's do look at what Obama and the Democrats have done to the country.

Then, tell us how much higher into debt you think we can go.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think the liberals would say you could never be too much in debt because you have a printing press.

I noticed how many of the left answered your question with "But the Republicans.....".

Debt doesn't seem to bother the left.
That would be option #2, or #3.

That answer is that ANY DEBT LEVEL is just fine. It assumes that spending over 100% of federal revenues to service the debt (i.e.- no revenues for anything else in the US) is okay. Thus we have no money for welfare, foodstamps, roads, education or the military. We essentially pay taxes for no benefit for the cohort paying the taxes (a little like slavery, isn't it?).

Further, it assumes that other nations will continue to purchase our debt (when we cannot pay the interest on those bonds that is our debt). How many investors buy bonds with no revenue and an essential guarantee of a reduced bond price?

How much debt is too much? Please step up, liberals, and tell us how much debt is too much.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Your nifty graph ends with '06. We're six years down the road beyond that. Would you post a graph for the last 6 years, please?

In fact, let's do look at what Obama and the Democrats have done to the country.
I doubt that pullie will want to show us that graphic

Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It appears as though many liberals are perfectly content with current debt levels. However, one must simply ask a few questions.

A. How much debt is too much?

1. When money spent to service the debt is-

a.25% of federal annual revenues
b. 50% of federal revenues
c. 75% of federal revenues
d. 100% of federal revenues

2. Only when the government is unable to service the debt (i.e.> than 100% federal revenues)

3. Any debt is okay- we will just print more money

What debt level is acceptable? The Nobel Prize winner Stiglitz, the champion of federal deficit spending, has no answer for this question. Further, he has no answers for what happens when we reach that debt that "is too much". What do liberals think?

B. When we reach debt levels that are "too much", what do we do then?
Are you a conservative?
Do you still live here in the USA? because I thought you threw in the towel and were leaving.
Did you see the graph that another member posted on which party loves to spend?
You're still arguing about liberals when it's really conservatives or republicans are the problem.

You predicted before Obama leaves office the debt would be $24T.
You know that the government needs tax revenue to operate smoothly, right? Revenues are at levels comparable to the 1950's, we're in the year 2012 now, you think that's enough to operate off of?
You know that when Clinton left office the USA had a budget surplus, right?
You know the USA has been fighting 2 wars, right?

You tell us how much is too much.

If people don't like America and it's different people, they can always leave it.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26862901-post109.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/27765458-post3.html
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Dick Cheney said "Reagan proved that deficits don't matter...".

Good enough for Dick...good enough for me.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM

45,548 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
You realize that all these tax loopholes that the wealthy use are spending right? They are not paying their fair share so every dollar that they don't pay in because of loopholes is spending.
The theory of "fair share" is useless when 50% pay nothing into the system. I think that's equally a loophole for the poor - it's just a socially acceptable loophole.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Dick Cheney said "Reagan proved that deficits don't matter...".

Good enough for Dick...good enough for me.
Only when it suits you leaners. So typical.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM

45,548 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Then, tell us how much higher into debt you think we can go.
The further your comment - it would be more realistic if we listed who controlled the chambers of Congress along with the President. The President doesn't just unilaterally set a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies