Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's the problem with the liberal argument - it gets all mixed up in non-relevancy.
I can't rep you again, but....
I appreciate your post and your thoughts. As I grow older, my mind doesn't work as well as it should, thus my inconsistencies. I get frustrated that what is in my mind and my heart to say, doesn't communicate, to where it is understood. But I try. To me a debate is like a chess game in that a person should be able to see the opposition's next move, even before they make it and be ready with a counter move.

Since there is bias on a subject, that creates a great platform for a debate. Sometimes I will take the other side of it the topic in debate, just to see if I can remain objective enough to pull it off and not switch back.

The reason I come to city data from time to time is to exercise my mind's muscle. It's good exercise. If I could go back to college, if I could become young again, with more of life in front of me...I'd join a college debate team and have real fun.

As for as Religious Liberties for us and around the world, there will be a balance created, there is no other way (imho) for it to be carried out. I'm remain in awe of its developmental progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:57 PM

717 posts, read 647,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
This is an interesting conundrum, because it is the very vehicle that Muslims will use to bring sharia law into acceptance in this country.

Then we will really have something to worry about.
Rot.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
A public profession of one's faith, is just that, public. It is also the call of Christ He has bestowed in people's hearts, to spread His word, yet----the gays are coming out of the closet and the Christian is being pushed into one. Do you not see the irony here? Probably not, but it's there just the same. ~sigh~

Satanic worship in public school, but don't open that Holy Bible in a public school, the ACLU will be all over you like stink on a pile. Definitely don't be in a group on public school campus and open a Holy Bible, that's worse. So, worship as we choose...not if you are a Christian in today's social gatherings.

Does Congress still open their sessions with a prayer? Probably not, yet, it has never been about worship, faith, or prayer, but all about money and the citizens tax dollars and the freedom to use them as they see fit. That----is the principle foundation of the Constitution and what the men died defending. Yet, because people are so afraid of infringement, they don't see they are giving up their rights; their personal property while they grow the government and it's laws so far out of context...they will never see free to be who they choose to be, for it will be lost to all. In other words they think they are winning and they won't ever see the loss that they really won. It's a good thing they can't see it and they have brainwashed themselves. Seriously....keep worrying about that infringement thing---it's working for you.
You can open your bible at school, you can pray, if it is not disturbing anyone else, what you cannot do is make a religion part of the school's fabric unless it is a parochial school of some kind.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
You can open your bible at school, you can pray, if it is not disturbing anyone else, what you cannot do is make a religion part of the school's fabric unless it is a parochial school of some kind.
Unless I'm mis reading this thread with it's attached reported article, you can in Florida now. Unless of course if the Satanist have one set of rights, and the Christian yet another.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:12 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Unless I'm mis reading this thread with it's attached reported article, you can in Florida now. Unless of course if the Satanist have one set of rights, and the Christian yet another.
Well, it is a small step in that direction. If I understand it allows a student who is given time to speak during an assembly or other a football game the right to express religious ideas. This was done to specifically enable Christian prayer, as a way of gaining support in the Bible Belt. The way it does this is it removes any oversite role from the school. They cannot tell the student to pray or not to pray, they cannot dictate who they pray to, none of that. That is how they avoid the endorsement of religion issue.

One problem that may come up is if a school under these rules "just happens" to always select students with a specific religious view, despite interest by student of other faiths or no faith, then I imagine there could be court challenges. To give students a platform to lead corporate prayer or worship or to proselytize, means that you have to give Muslims, Satanists, and Atheists equal time and the school cannot censor what they say.

-NoCapo

Old 01-20-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Well, it is a small step in that direction. If I understand it allows a student who is given time to speak during an assembly or other a football game the right to express religious ideas. This was done to specifically enable Christian prayer, as a way of gaining support in the Bible Belt. The way it does this is it removes any oversite role from the school. They cannot tell the student to pray or not to pray, they cannot dictate who they pray to, none of that. That is how they avoid the endorsement of religion issue.

One problem that may come up is if a school under these rules "just happens" to always select students with a specific religious view, despite interest by student of other faiths or no faith, then I imagine there could be court challenges. To give students a platform to lead corporate prayer or worship or to proselytize, means that you have to give Muslims, Satanists, and Atheists equal time and the school cannot censor what they say.

-NoCapo
I'm okay with it. It is our children who are the future of this nation. They best learn it in school, to get along and negotiate with one another. What better place to learn it.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
To give students a platform to lead corporate prayer or worship or to proselytize, means that you have to give Muslims, Satanists, and Atheists equal time and the school cannot censor what they say.
And this, unfortunately, is where the objections come in. As well-intentioned as they might be, many people who want "religion in schools" don't want religion in schools. They want THEIR religion in schools. And would prefer any other belief systems continue to stay out.

There are some very fair and honest people out there who are willing to open schools to all faiths and beliefs equally, and I applaud them for it. But the majority of voices calling for religion in schools are usually calling for a specific one and no more. Whether it's simply a belief that their faith is the only "true" one or a conscious effort to push aside other faiths they believe to be "false" or whatever, the First Amendment is written the way it is for good and logical reasons, by men fresh from oppression by a state-sponsored religion. They wrote it in order to keep the government OUT of religions trying to constantly get a leg up on each other through the power of government and law.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
And this, unfortunately, is where the objections come in. As well-intentioned as they might be, many people who want "religion in schools" don't want religion in schools. They want THEIR religion in schools. And would prefer any other belief systems continue to stay out.

There are some very fair and honest people out there who are willing to open schools to all faiths and beliefs equally, and I applaud them for it. But the majority of voices calling for religion in schools are usually calling for a specific one and no more. Whether it's simply a belief that their faith is the only "true" one or a conscious effort to push aside other faiths they believe to be "false" or whatever, the First Amendment is written the way it is for good and logical reasons, by men fresh from oppression by a state-sponsored religion. They wrote it in order to keep the government OUT of religions trying to constantly get a leg up on each other through the power of government and law.
Quote:
They want THEIR religion in schools.
Well, now they have, their religion in (Florida) schools. What part of that do people not get?

When I learned of the first Supreme Court ruling on prayer I thought about many things. The one thing I thought about was this, tell a child what they cannot do, that is the very thing they are going to want to do. They will push to the boundaries, then prepare to cross them. I saw a win for those strong of heart and a challenge for those children to learn what it means to stand.

Those men you are talking about oppressed by a state religion...they didn't come here and leave their faith behind them. On the contrary, they brought it with them and tried to set it free. It is us, today...working to in cage that freedom. We're just so smart, it gets stupid.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM

Hopefully many Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, et al will ensure that their voices are heard.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There's a denseness that can't be penetrated among those who argue that Green/HL is 'forcing' or 'foisting' his religion upon anyone by not covering emergency contraception. I don't know if it's due to anti-religionism, not knowing what being forced to do something really means, or what.

Personally, I'm convinced it's an anti-God issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies