Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times

Advertisements

I have read time and again over the past month, the dismissive responses from those on the right.
Personal protection? That's what we have police for. The government doesn't want to take your guns you RWNJ.

All police do it clean up the mess after a crime.

How do you know that the government doesn't want to take our guns? Really.......How do you know? Because that's what the government tells us? Because it couldn't happen in America?

Why couldn't it happen in America? It's happened to countries all over the world time and again. Why not here? Our politicians are human. They have the capability to lie, steal, cheat, murder, conspire, grab power - just like every human does, and just like so many leaders have done in so many other countries over history.

No. It's not about hunting, although guns are used to hunt. It's about protecting ourselves from the evil that individuals are capable of. It's about protecting ourselves from the evil that governments are capable of.

Don't say that it could never happen here. No Jewish man who fought for Germany in WW1 ever could imagine that he would be marked for death by his own country during WW2. Those Warsaw Ghetto Jews were scrounging every firearm and every round they could scrape together. They knew they were going to die one way or another. Imagine that kind of desperation - that kind of heroism.

It happens. It HAS happened. The only thing that prevents it from happening is the vigilance of the citizens of a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Your post is a crock of total horse sh*t.

Research is obviously your friend Darstar. So prove your point that those who have committed mass shootings over the past two years have been uneducated, blue collar, less worldly, possessing less smarts, who were members of the NRA and got fired up when their leader called for more guns.
I did not mean that actual shooters WERE NRA members., could be, I do not know. What I have said reflects what is being said publicly this past few weeks. From what I recall, the Shooters that comit these crimes all have been less than smart, rational, caring, understanding,and in general mentaly disturbed. Have they been influenced by the likes of the leaders from the NRA ? I say yes along with Video games, movies, media talk shows. Some things we will never know, often they take their own life. I am quite sure they became obsisted by military style weapons, flack jackets,clothing, and LOTS of AMMO!,,,,,along with multi selection of guns. Their acts were pre planed , prepared long in advance, which leads us to beleive they were influenced by surroundings .

Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I think you are misreading the left. Its left leaning people that are of greater learning ( higher education), also in greater numbers. Many surveys have profiled the average right wing gun crazy people as white male, blue color, less worldly and in general less smarts ( the power to reason and understand, instead of mob rule). Its the most passionate of people that are the most dangerous when they don't have all the facts, just the ability to be apart of the NRA and get fired up. when their leader calls for more guns .Its these people that commit the mass killings ...usually they have been thinking about doing something real bad. We all need to band together to stop them, root them out, have mandatory background checks for all not just legal Its time to do what we can, first off, to keep our children safe. gun dealers.

Just replace a few of the words in this post and it would resemble a Nazi's writings.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Just replace a few of the words in this post and it would resemble a Nazi's writings.
You are showing your flawed side when you make a statement like that. I said nothing even close to what the Nazi's said or wrote. Most people agree with me, not you, that something needs to be done. Our President has stepped forward yesterday addressing this. The first serious discussion at a presidential level since the 60s.
I know the NRA has lots of control,money, and resulting power. However there are many more people who do see this problem with guns as a serious matter that needs to be fixed. We must have gun control laws, its just that simple, get used to it !!!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
-- In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

-- In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

--Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

-- China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

-- Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

-- Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

-- Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
[LEFT]
Learn more: Gun grabbers are the most violent people of all, history shows
[/LEFT]

What in God's name is wrong with you? Seriously? You're using the history of genocide in the 20th century to prove your point that gun control is wrong? Really? Ask a Concentration Camp survivor if owning a freaking gun would have made a damned bit of difference in the equation. How about the victims of Pol Pot, or Stalin's purges. Do you think these people had a ghost of a chance in an armed confrontation against military weapons and an army? really?

Try googling the Warsaw Ghetto to answer that. Never mind, I'll make it easy for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Ghetto

On January 18, 1943, after almost four months without any deportations, the Germans suddenly entered the Warsaw ghetto intent upon a further deportation. Within hours, some 600 Jews were shot and 5,000 others rounded up.

The Germans expected no resistance, but preparations to resist had been going on since the previous autumn.[17] The first instances of Jewish armed resistance began that day. The Jewish fighters had some success: the expulsion stopped after four days and the ŻOB and ŻZW resistance organizations took control of the Ghetto, building shelters and fighting posts and operating against Jewish collaborators.[12]

The final battle started on the eve of Passover of April 19, 1943, when a Nazi force consisting of several thousand troops entered the ghetto. After initial setbacks, the Germans under the field command of Jürgen Stroop systematically burned and blew up the ghetto buildings, block by block, rounding up or murdering anybody they could capture. Significant resistance ended on April 28, and the Nazi operation officially ended in mid-May, symbolically culminating with the demolition of the Great Synagogue of Warsaw on May 16. According to the official report, at least 56,065 people were killed on the spot or deported to German Nazi concentration and death camps, most of them to Treblinka.

I can understand discourse on the dangers of the slippery slope when it comes to regulating firearms, which is what the NRA is afraid of, but, Jesus, people, get a freaking grip here.

Your ignorance is amazing. And the assertions in the "article" are disgusting.

Last edited by carterstamp; 01-17-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I think you are misreading the left. Its left leaning people that are of greater learning ( higher education), also in greater numbers. Many surveys have profiled the average right wing gun crazy people as white male, blue color, less worldly and in general less smarts ( the power to reason and understand, instead of mob rule). Its the most passionate of people that are the most dangerous when they don't have all the facts, just the ability to be apart of the NRA and get fired up. when their leader calls for more guns .Its these people that commit the mass killings ...usually they have been thinking about doing something real bad. We all need to band together to stop them, root them out, have mandatory background checks for all not just legal Its time to do what we can, first off, to keep our children safe. gun dealers.
So let's break this down a bit:

1. One entire group of people is more intelligent than another entire group of people.

2. A group is profiled

3. That group is identified as being less intelligent, less able to reason, less able to understand

4. That group is identified as being susceptible to group think - mob rule - less capable of individual thought and reasoning

5. A sub-set of this group is more dangerous than the rest of the group. They act irrationally because of their association with those considered by another group to be undesirable.

6. This sub-set gets fired up (will act irresponsibly and possibly illegally). These same people have been determined to be the ones capable of committing the heinous act of mass murder.

7. The second entire group of people needs to coordinate activities to diminish the freedom of the first group. The group must be identified, have greater laws placed upon the items that they own and the activities they participate in. If those activities are particularly offensive they must be stopped.

Does that pretty much sum it up?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
You are showing your flawed side when you make a statement like that. I said nothing even close to what the Nazi's said or wrote. Most people agree with me, not you, that something needs to be done. Our President has stepped forward yesterday addressing this. The first serious discussion at a presidential level since the 60s.
I know the NRA has lots of control,money, and resulting power. However there are many more people who do see this problem with guns as a serious matter that needs to be fixed. We must have gun control laws, its just that simple, get used to it !!!
We have 20,000 gun control laws already. But i'm sure a few more will help.lols.

"Last July, mathematics enthusiast Davi Barker published an analysis of 93 mass shootings, and found that the average number of people killed in such shootings when stopped by police is 14.3. The average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by a civilian is 2.3"

Auditing Shooting Rampage Statistics - Daily Anarchist

Supporting more gun control laws that keep weapons out of the hands of law abiding citizens is basically supporting the death of innocent people.

Don't let facts get in your way though. Your mind is made up.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
We all need to band together to stop them, root them out, have mandatory background checks for all not just legal Its time to do what we can, first off, to keep our children safe. gun dealers.
Your background checks for legal firearms idea is self-explantory. I am wondering how you see conductig mandatory background checks on illegal guns happening.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Your background checks for legal firearms idea is self-explantory. I am wondering how you see conductig mandatory background checks on illegal guns happening.
Not sure, I too am waiting for the details.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
We have 20,000 gun control laws already. But i'm sure a few more will help.lols.

"Last July, mathematics enthusiast Davi Barker published an analysis of 93 mass shootings, and found that the average number of people killed in such shootings when stopped by police is 14.3. The average number of people killed in mass shootings when stopped by a civilian is 2.3"

Auditing Shooting Rampage Statistics - Daily Anarchist

Supporting more gun control laws that keep weapons out of the hands of law abiding citizens is basically supporting the death of innocent people.

Don't let facts get in your way though. Your mind is made up.
You are so, so wrong. "Keeping weapons out of the hands of law abiding Citizens is supporting the death of innocent people' ? First, who is Law abiding? , thats where the very tough background checks come in ). No it will not catch all, and there will always be those that fall through the cracks.
If you are calling for vigilante law where everyone has more and more guns, all kinds, so that makes the guy with the biggest guns king of the group ? Way too many people have been strung up by a Mob caring guns , that were not guilty. The race related conservative South is the worst offenders....remember the 60s !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies