Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should voluntary euthansia be legal?
No. 3 8.11%
Yes, but only for terminally ill people. 11 29.73%
Yes, but only for terminally and mentally ill people. 2 5.41%
Legal on demand, even for those suffering from treatable conditions (depression, etc.) 21 56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,299,393 times

Advertisements

Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind - ABC News

These two twins were both deaf and were going blind. Broken hearted by the thought of never being able to see eachother decided to voluntarily end their lives. Their parting was very peaceful. They were able to enjoy company with relatives and coffee with eachother on the day of their passing.

I support their decision. I think anyone who doesn't want to live in this world should be able to end their lives, even if they are not terminally ill. I think such a decision should be put under careful scrutany though. Maybe give the patient a year of evalutions and time to think about it?

Do you all think these men should have been forced to stay alive and live miserably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,015,663 times
One of the things that troubled me about this case was that it was a decision of two, in reality a suicide pact. If one wanted to change their mind would they remain silent because of the brother? I would be interested to know what else was going on and why they were going blind. They were only 45, which is a young age to die.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,806,722 times
Seems a waste to me. I don't tend too trust doctors so what one may deem "terminal" others might not.... What would we do when a doctor is wrong? not like you can reverse the process.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,395,889 times
My father languised for 3 1/2 years in a nursing home before he died. I asked him what he wanted for, what would be, his last birthday. He answered "A gun and one bullet.". I wish I could have given him that. He had no hope of recovery. All he could do is lie there in bed and wait for someone to visit lacking even the bodily control to get up and sit in a chair.

There comes a point when a person should have the right to say, ENOUGH.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,183,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

These two twins were both deaf and were going blind. Broken hearted by the thought of never being able to see eachother decided to voluntarily end their lives. Their parting was very peaceful. They were able to enjoy company with relatives and coffee with eachother on the day of their passing.

I support their decision. I think anyone who doesn't want to live in this world should be able to end their lives, even if they are not terminally ill. I think such a decision should be put under careful scrutany though. Maybe give the patient a year of evalutions and time to think about it?

Do you all think these men should have been forced to stay alive and live miserably?
Their lives, their choices.

Holy crap, why don't people stay out of the personal business of others.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 AM

20,948 posts, read 18,968,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

Slippery slope.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,730,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My father languised for 3 1/2 years in a nursing home before he died. I asked him what he wanted for, what would be, his last birthday. He answered "A gun and one bullet.". I wish I could have given him that. He had no hope of recovery. All he could do is lie there in bed and wait for someone to visit lacking even the bodily control to get up and sit in a chair.

There comes a point when a person should have the right to say, ENOUGH.
I am so sorry. It's awful to see loved ones suffer.

I also believe that one should be allowed to determine when it's been enough.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:19 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,341,444 times
I support it and hope it becomes legal where when I get old I will have that choice. That is a big switch since I was vehemently against it during the Kervorkian years. I also agree with his argument that it should be legal under the 9th amendment. I like the OPs idea of giving a healthy person a waiting period to think things out and maybe change their mind.

In the case of people who are mentally retarded I would be against their parents, guardians, or the gvt making that decision. I support it if the person is able to make the decision themselves.

If it is not legal when I am old I will do it myself, I figure a bottle of whiskey and some pills ought to do it. No way in hell do I want to be warehoused in a nursing home.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,201,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Their lives, their choices.

Holy crap, why don't people stay out of the personal business of others.
Sure, let people off themselves at will. That makes sense.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
Default Suicide

Suicide is the ultimate individual freedom. IMHO the right to opt out of the game belongs to all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies