Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM

19,364 posts, read 12,017,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Let me ask you something: Why do so many people who have committed crimes of violence get plea deals, yet the prosecutor in this case was completely unwilling to even consider a reasonable plea and pursued this person as if he had killed someone? 35 effing years! Geezzzz.

Do you work for prosecutors, or are you local LE?
Why do you think the prosecutor was this harsh? Do you think it might have been to set an example?

A lot of people don't even seem to think this was a crime at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,379,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know enough about the case but certainly the value of 5 million documents is going to be extraordinarily high. Even if wer were to assign an absurdly small value of $1 per article that's 5 million dollars. I would imagine the guidelines for such a prosecution played a factor here.

Now back to my question.
You need to spend a little time reading about THIS SPECIFIC case and find out this was not for financial gain.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you about what is technically breaking the law. I'm asking you why prosecutors would give someone who had committed a violent crime a reasonable plea offer and yet they would not make a reasonable offer to Swartz? It's absurd. Prosecutors all over the country make plea deals every day in all types of criminal cases where there has been financial LOSS and personal injury to other people. THIS case is one which begged for a decent deal. So why wouldn't the prosecutor make an offer? Ambition maybe? I'm willing to bet that if Swartz had been an "unknown" that there would have been a deal offered right away, and very few resources of the prosecutor's office would have been used to bully that person. One of the "victims" of this offense did not even want to prosecute. In fact, they just released 4.5 million articles FREE!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why do you think the prosecutor was this harsh? Do you think it might have been to set an example?

Personal ambition is what I think was the reason for the extreme harshness of the prosecutor. This prosecutor's office obviously wanted this guy because he was well known. Somebody wanted to make a name for him/herself by prosecuting Swartz. The "crime" here CERTAINLY DID NOT fit the potential PUNISHMENT.

As an example, I know of a person who manipulated a few elderly people out of their entire life savings, well over $100,000, and that person was offered a plea deal and got 20 years probation. He exploited and defrauded these elderly people out of a significant amount of money and he got 20 years probation. Now, why in the world would someone who did something like access articles, which were not sold, never intended to be sold, looking at 35 YEARS in prison?

Old 01-15-2013, 01:25 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,601,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

I certainly don't.

To me scientific findings, especially in medicine, should not be available only to a select few. You shouldn't have to pay to read published scientific articles that were funded publicly with taxpayer dollars. Even pharmaceutical research, if it is being used as the basis for FDA decisions should be available to all. There are too many cases of unscrupulous big drug companies failing to report dangerous or negative results.

Is it right that someone who is poor but has multiple sclerosis to not be able to read first-hand the most recent research studies on her disease, findings that might affect her life, when her tax dollars have helped fund those research studies?

Same with public legal information, you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,434,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Seems the government is not a big proponent of freedom and transparency.
35 years even though his goal was not financial profit.

At least Assange was able to flee to another country.
Too bad this guy didn't.
Assange was lucky enough to be near a consulate that took him in and gave him protection, that and he was VERY lucky not be in the states. I think what is happening in this country is disgusting Obama so far has gone after MORE whistleblowers than Bush Jr. Ever did and yet no one apparently says a thing about it. I'd like our media to stand up and actually talk about this but they are to lazy and just as much a bunch of corporate shills as is most of the MSM. Sad really

Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,778,912 times
Quote:
You need to spend a little time reading about THIS SPECIFIC case and find out this was not for financial gain.
That's irrelevant and there is plenty of precedent going back decades of people being prosecuted for similar acts. Going back the BBS days there was a bunch of college students that got busted for distributing millions of dollars of software for free, they all went to jail.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Overzealous prosecution is a problem that needs to be addressed. From everything I have read about this case, facing decades in prison is ridiculous.

Here is the petition on the White House site to fire her:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...wartz/RQNrG1Ck
Thanks for the link. This is a great petition. I'm going to sign it. Ms. Ortiz should be removed for her abuse of her power. At the very least, this case should be a stumbling block for Ms. Ortiz for the rest of her career.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
That's irrelevant and there is plenty of precedent going back decades of people being prosecuted for similar acts. Going back the BBS days there was a bunch of college students that got busted for distributing millions of dollars of software for free, they all went to jail.
Information about this specific case is irrelevant to this discussion? Now I've heard it all.

Overly ambitious prosecutors need to have their power checked.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,778,912 times
Quote:
Information about this specific case is irrelevant to this discussion? Now I've heard it all..
No the fact that he wasn't going to financially gain from this is irrelevant.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
No the fact that he wasn't going to financially gain from this is irrelevant.
Yes, it is absolutely relevant. Since when have the circumstances of a crime been considered NOT relevant? The circumstances go to determining the charges and the potential sentence! Intent is significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies